Question About Tech and BIG 10

Not much. Nebraska was recently booted from the AAU and Notre Dame isn't a member and the B1G would take them tomorrow.

Notre Dame isn't AAU for reasons other than academics and research. It has more to do with Catholicism.

Just remember that if the ACC implodes, Tech is just as likely as being left in the depleted ACC as anything else.

Because neither the Big 10 nor the Big XII are interested in the Atlanta TV market?

Because neither the Big 10 nor the Big XII are interested in the Atlanta TV market?

The ACC will not implode....not gonna happen....IMO, years from now, Maryland will regret the move to the Big10. We would end up regretting moving anywhere but the SEC, same for Clemson and FSU.... The ACC has a bright future. Folks are too busy looking at the immediate future. I feel like we are at the beginning of the changing landscape of college football...the ACC is positioned well and will be a strong conference.

That's assuming that we can bring the Atlanta market. I think we can, but it's not a given anymore than MD bringing DC.

The ACC will not implode....not gonna happen....IMO, years from now, Maryland will regret the move to the Big10. We would end up regretting moving anywhere but the SEC, same for Clemson and FSU.... The ACC has a bright future. Folks are too busy looking at the immediate future. I feel like we are at the beginning of the changing landscape of college football...the ACC is positioned well and will be a strong conference.

To me, it's a battle between the ACC and Big 12. The ACC is winning 4-1. A map explains it.

We could just as easily be at the beginning of Nick Saban's 22 year championship run.

We could just as easily be at the beginning of Nick Saban's 22 year championship run.

Listen to a die hard Bamalama fan and you'd think they had won every National Championship from 1958 to 1982.....

That's assuming that we can bring the Atlanta market. I think we can, but it's not a given anymore than MD bringing DC.

YES, I question if Tech brings the market well enough when compared to UNC, UVA, et al. If the Big Ten and Fox choose to grab a team in every major market that's one thing. However, I suspect someone will question the whole unwieldiness of it all to and limit expansion somewhat. Will Tech really be included over FSU, Miami, UNC, Duke, et al? No guarantee in my book and really I hope it doesn't come to that anyway.

YES, I question if Tech brings the market well enough when compared to UNC, UVA, et al. If the Big Ten and Fox choose to grab a team in every major market that's one thing. However, I suspect someone will question the whole unwieldiness of it all to and limit expansion somewhat. Will Tech really be included over FSU, Miami, UNC, Duke, et al? No guarantee in my book and really I hope it doesn't come to that anyway.

Duke, Miami, and FSU aren't problems from a market perspective. We are in a much better position than Duke or Wake. They simply die from reorganization and FSU/Miami share the Florida market.. To be honest, Duke and Wake belong in the BE.

Being interested in the Atlanta TV market is one thing. Being interested in the Atlanta market but having no ability to take the school because you've already taken 2 others and are stopping at 16 is another.

I get that you live in the academic world, but in the business world, timing is incredibly important. "You snooze, you lose" is an saying that still rings true very often in situations such as these.

Being interested in the Atlanta TV market is one thing. Being interested in the Atlanta market but having no ability to take the school because you've already taken 2 others and are stopping at 16 is another.

I get that you live in the academic world, but in the business world, timing is incredibly important. "You snooze, you lose" is an saying that still rings true very often in situations such as these.

When you look at schools that meet the B1G's historical parameters, we are third or fourth in line after UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, and Kansas. What's working for us is that those other schools seem married to their situation.

When you look at schools that meet the B1G's historical parameters, we are third or fourth in line after UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, and Kansas. What's working for us is that those other schools seem married to their situation.

What's working against us is our president's foolish public pronouncement a few weeks ago about our desire to stay in the ACC. Even if that is the wish, you don't come out and say those things because it can either limit your options or, even worse, might lead the B1G to believe you have no interest.

WHEN (not if) the B1G goes to 16, they will likely add 2 more schools at the same time. My gut tells me it will be UNC & UVA although I sincerely hope it's us.

This WILL prompt the SEC to add 2 more schools...my bet is FSU & either NC State or Virginia Tech.

If those 4 leave, the ACC is dead and we (GT) will be sitting in a dead and dying conference in a very screwed position.

And yes, I'm firmly convinced that the PAC-xx, the SEC, the Big 12 and the B1G are all intending to get to 16 teams. Perhaps the good news is that the PAC-xx might need teams. It'll be funny to hear you guys who were 100% sure that the ACC is just fine backpedalling and trying to explain how the PAC-16 conference is a perfect fit for us. :wink:

The other thing I'm firmly convinced of is that one or more of you will respond to my post that "the ACC is NOT going to die". To that I respond that you're full of crap. No way you can know that. I'm pretty sure the president of the best öööö buggy whip manufacturer stood in front of his factory one day and told his employees not to worry because "there is nothing to worry about...we do what we do and we do it better than anyone else"...or WTTE. But when the world changed, it really didn't make a öööö bit of difference how good his buggy whips were.

What's working against us is our president's foolish public pronouncement a few weeks ago about our desire to stay in the ACC. Even if that is the wish, you don't come out and say those things because it can either limit your options or, even worse, might lead the B1G to believe you have no interest.

WHEN (not if) the B1G goes to 16, they will likely add 2 more schools at the same time. My gut tells me it will be UNC & UVA although I sincerely hope it's us.

This WILL prompt the SEC to add 2 more schools...my bet is FSU & either NC State or Virginia Tech.

If those 4 leave, the ACC is dead and we (GT) will be sitting in a dead and dying conference in a very screwed position.

And yes, I'm firmly convinced that the PAC-xx, the SEC, the Big 12 and the B1G are all intending to get to 16 teams. Perhaps the good news is that the PAC-xx might need teams. It'll be funny to hear you guys who were 100% sure that the ACC is just fine backpedalling and trying to explain how the PAC-16 conference is a perfect fit for us. :wink:

The other thing I'm firmly convinced of is that one or more of you will respond to my post that "the ACC is NOT going to die". To that I respond that you're full of crap. No way you can know that. I'm pretty sure the president of the best öööö buggy whip manufacturer stood in front of his factory one day and told his employees not to worry because "there is nothing to worry about...we do what we do and we do it better than anyone else"...or WTTE. But when the world changed, it really didn't make a öööö bit of difference how good his buggy whips were.

I believe anybody running Tech at this time, i.e. anyone who earned that privilege, has a clue and would not make such a statement unless it really was a firm long term intent, without having to worry about others walking.

I believe anybody running Tech at this time, i.e. anyone who earned that privilege, has a clue and would not make such a statement unless it really was a firm long term intent, without having to worry about others walking.

Ahhh...the old blind faith in leadership approach. Obviously that will serve us well when the ACC is picking up the dregs of the Big East to make up for the loss of teams like Miami, FSU, VT, NC State, UNC, and UVA.

This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine.... We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement, as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again. -Neville Chamberlain

Tell the Vietnamese they've got to draw in their horns or we're going to bomb them back into the Stone Age. -General Curtis LeMay 1964

Calvin Johnson... mediocre pro. -BarrelORum

daBuzz, your love for the B1G and your predictions of the impending doom of the ACC is quite intriguing. Silly, but intriguing

Ohio St Prez Gordon Gee spoke recently that the B1G is still considering new options.

Gordon Gee was the Prez at Vandy before going to Ohio St.

Any chance B1G offers Vandy? Vandy is an AAU school.

IMO, it ALLLLLLLLLL comes down to Maryland.

IMO...IF...the B1G fails with Maryland (i.e. MD can't escape the $50 Million exit fee)
Then the "balance of power" in the expansion shifts to the ACC.

Ohio St Prez Gordon Gee spoke recently that the B1G is still considering new options.

Gordon Gee was the Prez at Vandy before going to Ohio St.

Any chance B1G offers Vandy? Vandy is an AAU school.
you can always count on 3gt for a retarded idea

Back