Question About Tech and BIG 10

I would hope that a UNC/Duke/UVA move would make our move more palatable to the naysayers. Duke is an interesting historical opponent for us. And we could have a "southern" pod.

Before anyone says it, that combo actually makes sense because the tobacco road mafia would've lined up NC State for SEC inclusion (with VT incidentally).

Clemson and FSU would be attractive to the Big 12 of course, and would get them to 12.

There is no way that the 4th team is Duke. They bring zero audience in anything but basketball. They would bring Pitt or Syracuse first. Duke is a really small school and shares the TV market with UNC. They would be a perfect fit for the Big East along with Wake.

Doesn't Duke have a lot of basketball fans nationally? I would think that's the only reason the B1G would bring them, unless it's necessary to invite Duke if they want UNC too (which I doubt is the case).

UVA, UVA, Duke, and GT to the B1G would be awesome. Call our pod "Elitists".

Why are people constantly quoting this "dude" anyway?

Has he ever been right about anything? "Race for ACC schools" he says. Seems pretty clear to me that the ACC is staying put, or something would've already happened.

Florida State has asked to be considered an AAU member. The B1G has only accepted AAU members to join their conference. GT,NC and Virginia are also AAU members.
How long does the AAU vetting take? Is it possible all 4 take the B1G leap at the same time? I'm guessing as soon as the Maryland exit fee is finalized then the rest of the pieces fall into place.
Sounds like UNC is trying to bring Duke along with the conference change but the B1G wont budge. The SEC may listen to UNC's demands or is it UNC just posturing for a better deal with the B1G?

In other news, recently from commishes:

Big 12 commish said they are looking at ACC and other conferences as partners for games and bowls.

Big 10 commish said they are still looking at expansion options or something to that effect.

So long as we are not an island to either conference I am okay. I wouldn't mind taking Clemson, FSU, Miami, or UNC with us when we go.

Sent from my DeLorean using the Flux Capacitor

I'm sure everything is in wait-and-see mode until the Md buyout is settled. If they have to pay the full $50M (which I hope), then everyone will stay put. Otherwise, it's a free-for-all and the ACC will be bleeding members.

In other news, recently from commishes:

Big 12 commish said they are looking at ACC and other conferences as partners for games and bowls.

Big 10 commish said they are still looking at expansion options or something to that effect.

Should make for some interesting off season conversation.

So long as we are not an island to either conference I am okay. I wouldn't mind taking Clemson, FSU, Miami, or UNC with us when we go.

Sent from my DeLorean using the Flux Capacitor

Do you know what the AAU is?. Or how much the B1G puts on that? So you come up with some crazed idea to add dumbass schools because your entire focus is football. Do you not understand that Maryland and Rutgers weren't the most appealing additions, but they fit the bill?

As I understand it, ala carte is coming soon. So we may find out very soon what the real market is willing to bear. I believe this is another bubble about to pop.

Most of the people I know in TV say if ala carte happens, there won't be anything on TV. Bundling is the only thing that lets their business work.

Do you know what the AAU is?. Or how much the B1G puts on that? So you come up with some crazed idea to add dumbass schools because your entire focus is football. Do you not understand that Maryland and Rutgers weren't the most appealing additions, but they fit the bill?

What centipede crawled inside your vagina and died today?

Most of the people I know in TV say if ala carte happens, there won't be anything on TV. Bundling is the only thing that lets their business work.

That statement doesn't really make any sense. Obviously there will be some things on TV, because right now people are paying current prices even if they only watch a few things.

What very well might happens is there will be a drastically reduced number of choices. Perhaps even only the ESPN family of networks and channels HBO/Showtime/AMC, which have high quality shows with very strong brand loyalty.

Basically, the channels which actually drive a lot of people to subscribe to cable would be able to survive, while the others (which could be 95% of the channels) would die.

Also, I think it's only a matter of time before this happens. The whole bundling model is built around needing to go to cable to get content; people are willing to pay the bundle prices because there are no alternatives. Slowly but surely, that model is crumbling as companies like Netflix, Hulu, Microsoft, and Apple provide other outlets for content.

Just remember that if the ACC implodes, Tech is just as likely as being left in the depleted ACC as anything else.

Your list of teams made no sense other than your personal opinion based solely on football match-ups. And by the way, we'd be left out if that was the criteria.

We'll see what happens. If the B1G decides to go into the ACC more, I'd like for it to be us and UNC. If the Big 12 decides to play catch up, I would like for it to be some combination of us, FSU, Clemson, and Miami.

Just want to post that I do not think anything is happening in the ACC for many years, if at all. I guarantee you that Tech wants to stay exactly where it is and would only move after many years of reflection, opportunities for the ACC to improve, and MD's exit fee is determined fully. I think it's two years before pressure is reapplied.

By the way, I think Miami really wants to stay with the northeastern teams of BC, Syracuse and ND. Money matters but so does recruiting students out of the northeast.

We'll see what happens. If the B1G decides to go into the ACC more, I'd like for it to be us and UNC. If the Big 12 decides to play catch up, I would like for it to be some combination of us, FSU, Clemson, and Miami.

If we were to be left out of B1G expansion, I absolutely could see you list of teams to the Big 12.

Back