Question About Tech and BIG 10

Also, one more argument to add to the others. The BIG10 should help recruiting, which would help make us more competitive, particularly against UGA.

As I understand it, ala carte is coming soon. So we may find out very soon what the real market is willing to bear. I believe this is another bubble about to pop.

ESPN for GT sports is 90% of the reason to have payTV IMHO.

The scenarios I forsee are not good for GT after the Sports TV bubble pops. I see the biggest schools with the most rabid fanbases putting even more distance between themselves and the rest of us financially. Conference package deals have been the great equalizer, and if they go, there will be only a handful of teams that matter.

Meh. I think you'll still have conference package deals. But you're going to choose to subscribe to ESPN, or maybe just the ACC sub package. I think the pie for all of cfb will shrink.

B1G Commish Jim Delaney has repeatedly & abundantly stated:

The future of the B1G is all about:

1. Demographics
2. Demographics
3. Demographics

And he stated those Demographics CONCLUSIVELY show people are leaving the so-called "B1G country" (i.e. Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania).
People from "B1G Country" are moving away and moving east & south...in droves.

Without expansion, the B1G is dying.

So, with all that said, I will venture waaaaayyyyy out on a limb with this totally crazy, and completely unconventional idea:

What if......the ACC raided the B1G for PennSt, OhioSt, Michigan, MichiganSt, Purdue, and Rutgers ?

IMO, I dont think any of these listed schools really give a hoot about playing any B1G team west of Chicago, and very few B1G alums from Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania move to Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin. They primarily move to the East Coast and to the South.

That adds 6 teams to a "current" 14 team ACC. 20 Teams, with maybe 4 divisions.

The BIG12 would, of course, likely acquire any remaining B1G teams.

If Maryland is stuck with a $50 Million tab, unless some long-term financing deal emerges or some Maryland booster(s) cough up that money, the chances of Delaney raiding the ACC for expansion drops to ZERO.

IMHO, if Delaney does not get Maryland, its over for him and the B1G.

The odds would then likely begin to favor some kind of break-up of the B1G.

I previously described the ACC this way: Sum of the parts being greater than the whole. Meaning, several teams could likely make out far, far better as a member of the B1G, than they could ever hope to in the ACC. Maryland was a good example. Potentially far more money for MD in the B1G than currently in the ACC.

This same idea applies for the B1G.

If there were some kind of "guarantee" that Delaney would be the Commish of some new/improved/expanded ACC including those B1G teams East of Chicago, it just might improve the odds of happening. Like when 2 companies merge and the the CEO of the bigger more dominant company gets to head the new combined company.

IMHO, the B1G has peaked, and is now in a steady decline. The deep and protracted economic decline of "B1G country" guarantees it.

Even Delaney knows it.

I think the B1G feels like any expansion of that nature would be done westward to more solidly join the B1G and PAC XII.

1. Demographics
2. Demographics
3. Demographics

And he stated those Demographics CONCLUSIVELY show people are leaving the so-called "B1G country" (i.e. Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania).

So, with all that said, I will venture waaaaayyyyy out on a limb with this totally crazy, and completely unconventional idea:

What if......the ACC raided the B1G for PennSt, OhioSt, Michigan, MichiganSt, Purdue, and Rutgers ?

IMO, I dont think any of these listed schools really give a hoot about playing any B1G team west of Chicago, and very few B1G alums from Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania move to Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin. They primarily move to the East Coast and to the South.

If Maryland is stuck with a $50 Million tab, unless some long-term financing deal emerges or some Maryland booster(s) cough up that money, the chances of Delaney raiding the ACC for expansion drops to ZERO.

I previously described the ACC this way: Sum of the parts being greater than the whole. Meaning, several teams could likely make out far, far better as a member of the B1G, than they could ever hope to in the ACC. Maryland was a good example. Potentially far more money for MD in the B1G than currently in the ACC.

If there were some kind of "guarantee" that Delaney would be the Commish of some new/improved/expanded ACC including those B1G teams East of Chicago, it just might improve the odds of happening. Like when 2 companies merge and the the CEO of the bigger more dominant company gets to head the new combined company.

IMHO, the B1G has peaked, and is now in a steady decline. The deep and protracted economic decline of "B1G country" guarantees it.

Even Delaney knows it.

I actually believe you are probably correct but very very far out thinking is not most folks strong suit. The ACC will be just fine if they are patient enough. FSU and Miami will return to dominance just as likely as UT doing so. Teams come and go.

The Big Ten is losing population and can't get enough students to fill their schools. MD is perfect for this; they have lots of educated kids with no place to go.

But the Big Ten also screwed the cable media enough to be making a lot of money. There was a time when the ACC made all the money; maybe the Big Ten's money dominance will be short lived.

Forgetting about history, etc, if you did a blind comparison of the ACC and Big Ten, you'd arguably pick the ACC's future. It amazes me to think that Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia are as big (population) as Michigan, Illinois, Ohio and Pennsylvania. When I was a student at Tech, I would never have imagined that.

What's holding the ACC down is they don't live by the huge state university game, where everyone in the state is focused on one school. But their model isn't awful and their growth potential is huge compared to the Big Ten. I also never imagined Georgia Tech having over 20,000 students either.

Seriously? New Glarus >> Sweetwater
Sweetwater is a real bad example for Southern breweries. Lazy Magnolia is a much better example.

I personally prefer northeast breweries. They tend to have better porters/stouts and lower IBUs in the beer.

Sweetwater is a real bad example for Southern breweries. Lazy Magnolia is a much better example.

I personally prefer northeast breweries. They tend to have better porters/stouts and lower IBUs in the beer.

Thomas Creek is a good southern brew.

New Glarus is delicious, but there are other good ones in the midwest. I like Stevens Point.

I hear what you're saying about the northeast porters. I like Atlantic Brewing's Coal Porter.

I actually believe you are probably correct but very very far out thinking is not most folks strong suit. The ACC will be just fine if they are patient enough. FSU and Miami will return to dominance just as likely as UT doing so. Teams come and go.

The Big Ten is losing population and can't get enough students to fill their schools. MD is perfect for this; they have lots of educated kids with no place to go.

But the Big Ten also screwed the cable media enough to be making a lot of money. There was a time when the ACC made all the money; maybe the Big Ten's money dominance will be short lived.

Forgetting about history, etc, if you did a blind comparison of the ACC and Big Ten, you'd arguably pick the ACC's future. It amazes me to think that Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia are as big (population) as Michigan, Illinois, Ohio and Pennsylvania. When I was a student at Tech, I would never have imagined that.

What's holding the ACC down is they don't live by the huge state university game, where everyone in the state is focused on one school. But their model isn't awful and their growth potential is huge compared to the Big Ten. I also never imagined Georgia Tech having over 20,000 students either.

IMO, not only would it be a stroke of pure GENIUS, but it would also
fundamentally change the dynamics on conference re-alignment

...IF...

...Swofford held a press conference to announce the intention to extend invitations to : PennSt, OhioSt, Michigan, MichiganSt, Purdue, and Rutgers. It would also improve Maryland's situation AND keep Maryland in the ACC. A HUGE win for Maryland. It would make Maryland drop their interest in leaving the ACC.

Swofford would simply be doing what PAC12 Commish Larry Scott previously did when the PAC10 offered 6 schools.

It would instantly and permanently change the perception of the B1G from "The Hunter" to "The Hunted." The BIG12 would likely smell blood in the water also and jump at a chance to offer any remaining B1G school.

A move like this would forever position the B1G as a "declining" conference, and the ACC as an "ascendant" conference." That critical change in perception can not be over-stated.

Delaney would be totally on the defensive at that point, which in reality, is where he really is already.

1. Demographics
2. Demographics
3. Demographics

Even Delaney knows it.

What if Maryland was actually a secret agent sent by the ACC to spy on the B1G?

1. Demographics
2. Demographics
3. Demographics

Even Delaney knows it.

Well, this article from ESPN just today certainly confirms what we all know about demographic and recruiting trends.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/visuals/post/_/id/10989/graphic-football-recruiting-then-now

IMO, not only would it be a stroke of pure GENIUS, but it would also
fundamentally change the dynamics on conference re-alignment

...IF...

...Swofford held a press conference to announce the intention to extend invitations to : PennSt, OhioSt, Michigan, MichiganSt, Purdue, and Rutgers. It would also improve Maryland's situation AND keep Maryland in the ACC. A HUGE win for Maryland. It would make Maryland drop their interest in leaving the ACC.

Swofford would simply be doing what PAC12 Commish Larry Scott previously did when the PAC10 offered 6 schools.

It would instantly and permanently change the perception of the B1G from "The Hunter" to "The Hunted." The BIG12 would likely smell blood in the water also and jump at a chance to offer any remaining B1G school.

A move like this would forever position the B1G as a "declining" conference, and the ACC as an "ascendant" conference." That critical change in perception can not be over-stated.

Delaney would be totally on the defensive at that point, which in reality, is where he really is already.

LOL...SERIOUSLY? You have to be trolling....right?

Here's how the sales pitch would go:

"We have extended an offer to those teams from the B1G. We realize that it will mean an annual decrease of about $20 million or more, but what the heck...we're the ACC. Why not come join us?"

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

Post of the year!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I think everyone should let everyone know what their inside sources say on this subject.

LOL...SERIOUSLY? You have to be trolling....right?

Here's how the sales pitch would go:

"We have extended an offer to those teams from the B1G. We realize that it will mean an annual decrease of about $20 million or more, but what the heck...we're the ACC. Why not come join us?"

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

Post of the year!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Did you miss my opener......

"So, with all that said, I will venture waaaaayyyyy out on a limb with this totally crazy, and completely unconventional idea:"

FWIW, you cant rule out the possibility that the ACC, (with the addition of those 6 B1G schools) might deliver MUCH MORE $$$$ than the current B1G configuration.

Where are the vast majority of PennSt, OhioST, Mich, MichSt alums
(outside their home states): Chicago Metro, East Coast/WashDC, Georgia, Florida.

Lastly, Nixon went to China.

2 things:

FIRST:

IF......Delaney fails with Maryland, there will be a power-shift to the ACC,
that includes the possibility of some kind of break-up of the B1G.

Second:
Best Beer I have EVER had was the October seasonal brew
from Legends in Richmond, VA.

Nothing anywhere compares.

LINK:http://legendbrewing.com/

Let's talk about beer.
This.

I've found that all my favorite drinking beers come from breweries up here now, which is odd. I also greatly dislike the one brand from the NE which seems to be one talking off, which is Brooklyn Brewery. The sucky part is that all the two breweries which I absolutely love (Springhouse and Kelso) are almost entirely keg only and only go to the locals.

Edit: My best beer ever is Kelso's Nut Brown Lager, followed by anything made by Springhouse. Anything.

until ACC gets a real network not an internet network, for now, big10 will be stronger and better leverage; and teams more likely to go there then from there. The ACC Can't offer that stream and exposure even if they created some ridiculous publicity poaching stunt. It would almost be laughable.

and when the SEC does...oh god watch out; the money that will pour into that conf will be sick

Around here (Penn State country), it's Yuengling all the way.

There are good beers all over this country, but I prefer foreign brews like Hacker-Pschorr over the microbrews. Many of the domestic microbreweries make bitter crap and then take a haughty attitude of you just don't get what we're doing. From my experience, most homebrewers also make crap. I guess I'm weird in that I want something drinkable, but hate the mass market stuff except for some of the Michelob special brews.

Back