Question About Tech and BIG 10

Back when this was all starting I emailed president Peterson saying I wanted us to go to the Big Ten and reach out to UVA to come with us. I said the move to include Louisville was a panicked move that shows a lack of direction at the top.

Peterson responded by saying he independently and others closely assoiated with the athletic association are constantly assessing our situation and feel the ACC is our best option at this time. He said he just can't see our fans going to Lafayette, Madison, or Lansing, or elsewhere on a regular basis.

Take it for what it's worth.

Wake Forest is closer but that trip BLOWS. Likewise with Maryland, UNC, and Duke. Boston College isn't close but the only thing good about that trip is the city because the football and the stadium suck donkey balls. Going to watch a game at Miami is cool because of South Beach but when it comes time for the game, I'd prefer to go watch it at a sports bar than go to that dive of a stadium.

However, I would gladly go to Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. And I'd probably go to each of the other ones at least a time or two just for the experience.

Nah....give me the money and the ability to play in a conference that actually might get a team in the 4-team playoff sometime within the next 40 years.

Wake Forest is closer but that trip BLOWS. Likewise with Maryland, UNC, and Duke. Boston College isn't close but the only thing good about that trip is the city because the football and the stadium suck donkey balls. Going to watch a game at Miami is cool because of South Beach but when it comes time for the game, I'd prefer to go watch it at a sports bar than go to that dive of a stadium.

However, I would gladly go to Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. And I'd probably go to each of the other ones at least a time or two just for the experience.

Nah....give me the money and the ability to play in a conference that actually might get a team in the 4-team playoff sometime within the next 40 years.

I can't disagree with this.. But at same time, I'd miss trips to Clemson, Tallahassee and Miami..

I am starting to agree. I would think that their fans would travel here more so than the ACC fans which is a bonus in our pockets as well. I rarely travel for games anyways so the only trip I usually take and would miss would be Clemson.

i think that you should go to all of those places.. just dont expect Georgia Tech to be there.

how do we possibly fit in here:
250px-Big_10_map.png

answer: we dont. f¨k them, and enjoy those games up there in your thermals, gloves, hats, and you can yell "get a couple a three yards". greed doesnt work out, imo, we dont belong in that conference at all

lets look at Penn State's schedule from last year:

Home: Ohio, Navy, Temple, Northwestern, Ohio State, Indiana, Wisconsin
Away: UVa, Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, Nebraska

just as an example. they have 2 decent home games and one good away game... wow, super conference. so much better than the ACC

you have to realize that while there is Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin, you also have Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers and Maryland. they all suck and have ööööty facilities. go enjoy them, id rather be at Wake Forrest or Duke or NCState etc

where is Georgia Tech? oh, a bunch of states further SOUTH
600px-BigTenLocations3.png

I like how they threw in Alaska an Hawaii, seemingly for the öööö of it.

i think that you should go to all of those places.. just dont expect Georgia Tech to be there.

250px-Big_10_map.png

answer: we dont. f¨k them, and enjoy those games up there in your thermals, gloves, hats, and you can yell "get a couple a three yards". greed doesnt work out, imo, we dont belong in that conference at all

250px-Big_10_map.png

Yeah but most of you cheap bastards don't even go to home games, let alone away games...so your opinion is for s**t as far as i'm concerned.
:biggrin:

And as far as your geography lesson is concerned...since when are Texas and Missouri in the southeast. Or any öööö school in the country who has joined the Big East in the northeast? Or for that matter...have you LOOKED at how far the trip to Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Miami are?

Yeah...I'll take the money. You're an idiot. Argument over.

Miami is a great city to visit, my brother lives in Pittsburgh which is think is a nice city to visit and Syracuse is better than Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, or Indiana

try again though, you might come up with an argument that makes sense - i doubt it, but you can try

Miami is a great city to visit, my brother lives in Pittsburgh which is think is a nice city to visit and Syracuse is better than Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, or Indiana

try again though, you might come up with an argument that makes sense - i doubt it, but you can try

LOL....you're right. No one can convince a dumbass.
But I'll type slowly so maybe you can understand.

Miami, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse = FAR AWAY FROM GT....which is what you were bitching about with the B1G.

no thats not what i was bitching about. i pointed out that we do not OVERLAP the geography AT ALL. while when looking at the schools in the ACC they are scattered in numerous directions from us, not all congregated far away

see?

225px-ACC_overview_map_2012-13.png

excepting Syracuse, there is a contiguous group of states up the ATLANTIC COAST, and even Syracuse in near the ATLANTIC COAST. You want us to join the GREAT LAKES conference even though we are 4 or 5 non-included states away...

we have a history with these schools and these geographies (those in the south and along the atlantic coast) and we dont with the B1G footprint at all. Tech should never be in the B1G, that doesnt mean you cant be fans of that conference and go to their games.

LOL....you're right. No one can convince a dumbass.
But I'll type slowly so maybe you can understand.

Miami, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse = FAR AWAY FROM GT....which is what you were bitching about with the B1G.

Don't be silly... Just because we're at the southern end of our (contiguous) conference doesn't mean we're as out of place as if we were in a conference where the schools would be an average of like 900 miles away?

If you think we're that out of place, let's just join the PAC12. Or maybe the Falcons could join NFL Europe.

Don't be silly... Just because we're at the southern end of our (contiguous) conference doesn't mean we're as out of place as if we were in a conference where the schools would be an average of like 900 miles away?

If you think we're that out of place, let's just join the PAC12. Or maybe the Falcons could join NFL Europe.

fwiw, just because buzzczar is on the correct side on this issue (and I'm speaking against my own interests as someone exiled to B1G country, where dreams stay with you ...), it doesn't change the fact that he is a dumbass who can't be convinced, generally speaking.

If they'll pay us $20 million more per year than we're currently making AND we get into a more respectable football conference, yep...sign me up.

And let's be clear. I GO to away games and for trips that are farther away than 5 hour drives, I fly. So going to these games is no more expensive than going to the ACC games for me.

And, as I understand it, we (GT football) fly to all away ACC games other than Clemson. So, it won't cost them significantly more either...certainly not enough to eat up the $20 million more per year that you'd get.

fwiw, just because buzzczar is on the correct side on this issue (and I'm speaking against my own interests as someone exiled to B1G country, where dreams stay with you ...), it doesn't change the fact that he is a dumbass who can't be convinced, generally speaking.

many people have convinced me of things, they just need a valid argument that makes sense in the context of the whole - my dumbassness is tempered with intellect

but i think joining a conference for money is the dumbest reason of all, additionally, i think our stadium would be much emptier than it is now for games with team that bring no fans like Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, etc...

and i dont think that the B1G has any more football "respect" than the ACC. there are more teams in the ACC with history in the BCS than the B1G

additionally, Basketball isnt even close and Baseball and Golf would die in the B1G for us. overall one of the dumbest ideas suggested for Tech athletics ever

many people have convinced me of things, they just need a valid argument that makes sense in the context of the whole - my dumbassness is tempered with intellect

we have better beer here in the midwest than in the south

we have better beer here in the midwest than in the south

:lol: i dont drink much beer though, and they cant sell it at the games either

but i do think when it comes to drink and food that the B1G could compete with the ACC for sure!

Couple of things

1) The value of non big midwest state universities in the Big I network is still to be determined. Rutgers and MD are an experiment that still may or may not work. We get a few years to watch and see what happens. If it works and there actually is a $20 M difference then we can jump in. But we don't have to be part of the experiment.

2) The ACC has "look ins" on the core TV contract that should keep the ACC in the same zip code as the other core TV deals (note that doesn't mean on top of the others). But that does not do anything to equalize versus the Big I network.

3) The travel costs in the Big I are real. Even the olympic teams such as the volleyball teams travel by charter jets due to the distances and timings. Cost of being in the conference is significantly higher but doesn't eat up all the potentially incremental revenue (if it is real).

4) There are a lot of Big I alumni in Atlanta. But there are a lot of UVA, Duke, and UNC alumni in Atlanta as well. The ACC schools don't bring the numbers to sell out BDS so thinking that the Big I schools outside of maybe OSU or PSU will sell out BDS is probably wishful thinking.

IMHO MD took a big bet due to their own internal mismanagement of their athletic department budget (both Granny and the current AD). We get a chance to watch the MD/Rutgers experiment plus watch the growth of the ACC. If the MD experiment works we are golden with the Big I and can make a reasoned decision. If it doesn't we didn't want to be there anyway. But right now we don't HAVE to do anything.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland tie for first place in ranking the most depressing places I've ever been.

Back