Question About Tech and BIG 10

no thats not what i was bitching about. i pointed out that we do not OVERLAP the geography AT ALL. while when looking at the schools in the ACC they are scattered in numerous directions from us, not all congregated far away

see?

225px-ACC_overview_map_2012-13.png

excepting Syracuse, there is a contiguous group of states up the ATLANTIC COAST, and even Syracuse in near the ATLANTIC COAST. You want us to join the GREAT LAKES conference even though we are 4 or 5 non-included states away...

we have a history with these schools and these geographies (those in the south and along the atlantic coast) and we dont with the B1G footprint at all. Tech should never be in the B1G, that doesnt mean you cant be fans of that conference and go to their games.

You need to check a map. Last time I looked, New York bordered Pennsylvania.

many people have convinced me of things, they just need a valid argument that makes sense in the context of the whole - my dumbassness is tempered with intellect

but i think joining a conference for money is the dumbest reason of all, additionally, i think our stadium would be much emptier than it is now for games with team that bring no fans like Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, etc...

and i dont think that the B1G has any more football "respect" than the ACC. there are more teams in the ACC with history in the BCS than the B1G

additionally, Basketball isnt even close and Baseball and Golf would die in the B1G for us. overall one of the dumbest ideas suggested for Tech athletics ever

Money is the only reason conferences exist; just sayin'.

Without the need to associate with a conference for insurance against downturns with revenue sharing, collective marketing for awareness and collective bargaining for leverage; then we would all be better off independent with more flexibility all around.

I want the ACC to succeed and want to stay if it does. But I really think you are reaching about the relative respect the ACC gets versus any other AQ conference. Writers characterized Syracuse and Pitt joining the ACC as "moving from a dead conference to a dying conference." Irrespective of whether that common opinion is justified; the point is it exists and is widespread.

Now, it all could turn around with a few resurgent years of Miami, VT, FSU, Clemson,and even GT. But right now the ACC is at the low end of the public perception spectrum, even in years when results show the PAC 12 and B1G almost as low in performance.

At this point conference membership is about program survival, not satisfying fan nostalgic memories. To me, the staunch and unbending defenders of staying in the ACC at all costs are similar to the old SEC fans who can't let go of that part of our past. You do what you have to do for the overall health of the program.

^^^^This sums it all up. GT will join the B1G in time. Once Maryland has blazed the way, then GT,VA and NC will also join.

many people have convinced me of things, they just need a valid argument that makes sense in the context of the whole - my dumbassness is tempered with intellect

but i think joining a conference for money is the dumbest reason of all, additionally, i think our stadium would be much emptier than it is now for games with team that bring no fans like Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, etc...

and i dont think that the B1G has any more football "respect" than the ACC. there are more teams in the ACC with history in the BCS than the B1G

additionally, Basketball isnt even close and Baseball and Golf would die in the B1G for us. overall one of the dumbest ideas suggested for Tech athletics ever

Not that I want to be in the B1G, but the majority of their teams would bring many more fans than the majority of ACC schools to games here.

But there lies the problem. This should not be the goal. We should build a program by having better OOC schedules and winning more of the games that count. See, that is how we sell more tickets to GT fans, not counting on someone else to come.

Basketball? Right NOW, I think many would say the B1G has the ACC beat. When cuse, Pitt, Ville come in - different matter perhaps.

Having said all that, not sure how Prez Pete thinks traveling to boston, Pitt, cuse will be easier than traveling to Ohio, Ill, etc.

Something I've begun thinking about recently is what will happen to conference revenues if the traditional tv model falls apart. Here's a link that talks about how sports channels disproportionately affect the price you pay for cable and satellite, and is only getting worse/ http://paidcontent.org/2012/04/06/by-the-numbers-the-spiraling-cost-of-sports-programming/

Now here's the question. Do you really believe that, long term, the traditional tv model will continue, or do you think that we're going to move to an a la carte Netflix/Hulu model where the cost of sports programming can't be passed on as a hidden fee to subscribers who don't want those sports channels.

This is something that nobody is really talking about. There very well may be a day of reckoning for all sports in this country where the unsustainable rise in salaries and conference broadcast agreements will come crashing back down. If that happens in the next twenty years, and I think it will, will the conferences have to realign again because they've expanded with no regard to geography? That would be pretty embarrassing for us to pay a big fee to get out of the ACC, get in the big 10 based on x years of revenue to pay it off and x years of future gains, only to get pantsed when the sports bubble pops.

Miami is a great city to visit, my brother lives in Pittsburgh which is think is a nice city to visit and Syracuse is better than Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, or Indiana :rotfl:

try again though, you might come up with an argument that makes sense - i doubt it, but you can try

As I have said before, BuzzC you are stupid. Syracuse sucks. It is an armpit in an dog's behind. Stadium (dome) sucks, city sucks, football team usually sucks.

Yeah but it'd be nice to hit the bitch while down there. That's about it unless your Hispanic or gay

Division alignment would likely be pretty favorable for GT if they joined the Big Ten. We'd probably go into the leaders division with the other east coast-ish teams.

It's unlikely we'd be in the division with Minnesota, Iowa, the Michigans, Nebraska, and northwestern (now Illinois I think with Rutgers and md going to the leaders division).

:lol::lol::lol:
Boy that come out wrong. Should have made sure said beach instead of bitch. Too much Falcons and Jack Daniels today

Outside the BEACH, you only have Hispanics and gays.

Obviously time for bed

Something I've begun thinking about recently is what will happen to conference revenues if the traditional tv model falls apart. Here's a link that talks about how sports channels disproportionately affect the price you pay for cable and satellite, and is only getting worse/ http://paidcontent.org/2012/04/06/by-the-numbers-the-spiraling-cost-of-sports-programming/

Now here's the question. Do you really believe that, long term, the traditional tv model will continue, or do you think that we're going to move to an a la carte Netflix/Hulu model where the cost of sports programming can't be passed on as a hidden fee to subscribers who don't want those sports channels.

This is something that nobody is really talking about. There very well may be a day of reckoning for all sports in this country where the unsustainable rise in salaries and conference broadcast agreements will come crashing back down. If that happens in the next twenty years, and I think it will, will the conferences have to realign again because they've expanded with no regard to geography? That would be pretty embarrassing for us to pay a big fee to get out of the ACC, get in the big 10 based on x years of revenue to pay it off and x years of future gains, only to get pantsed when the sports bubble pops.

As I understand it, ala carte is coming soon. So we may find out very soon what the real market is willing to bear. I believe this is another bubble about to pop.

ESPN for GT sports is 90% of the reason to have payTV IMHO.

The scenarios I forsee are not good for GT after the Sports TV bubble pops. I see the biggest schools with the most rabid fanbases putting even more distance between themselves and the rest of us financially. Conference package deals have been the great equalizer, and if they go, there will be only a handful of teams that matter.

Back