Realistic expectations

I think this is spot on, and ultimately the risk to the season. Pretty evident Collins only has a job because it will be cheaper to fire him in December. As the season limps along and the inevitable consumes the team, keeping all the oars in the water at once will become a challenge. The lack of depth over the course of the season will also creep into play.
Hard to disagree w your post. That's a very realistic opinion and on point. No depth is going to hurt the most. Which probably explains why we are in games untill the 3rd quarter.

Did you somehow forget you posted the exact same thread a month ago?

He's butt buddies with the other morons from the swarm who gnashed their teeth at moderation. This is a regular interval stirring of öööö.

We have one game it would be inexcusable to lose - Western Carolina.
We have one game we should be favored to win at home - Duke.
We have one game it would take a miracle to win - Georgia.
We have one other game where we should be heavy underdogs - Clemson.
We have one other game where we should be underdogs up against a more talented team - Ole Miss
We have seven games against decent teams that will likely be slightly favored over us, but they are all beatable if we improve and play well:
Miami, Pitt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, UCF, UNC, FSU
These are my realistic expectations for the year, a likely 2 to 6 win season. I'd set the over/under at 3.0 or 3.5.

He's butt buddies with the other morons from the swarm who gnashed their teeth at moderation. This is a regular interval stirring of öööö.

Is that some other forum? I’m at the best, so öööö the rest!

Yeah, the last 2 games somewhat understandably broke people's brains and made them forget the season had promise halfway through it. People also don't account for missing our starting QB about half the season.
That was fool's gold.'
UNC wound up being not that good after all. That was clearly our best game and we played well. But UNC fell apart after that.
And then we get punched in the mouth late at home by BC and at home by Virginia Tech and at home by Pitt.
Miami wound up being a close game. Virginia was cosmetically close. We also got away with one at Duke, don't forget. So maybe that one balances out one of the closer losses to the football gods.

The Coastal is still a Lazy Susan of a poo poo platter. New coaching staffs at four schools.
But we go to Pitt. We go to Va Tech. Ole Miss is going to be good. UCF? I guess they'll be pretty good.
This very well could be another 3 win season. The O line is still, to be kind, a fluid situation. Too many holes still on defense.

I expect 3 wins. How could anyone possibly expect anything else? And thats an expectation not a prediction because the only game I predict we will for sure win is WCU. The talent hasn't improved its actually gotten worse. The coaching might be better but I think like when Chaney failed at UT under an authoritarian coach, we are seeing the same thing here. Good coaches aren't allowed to coach under CGC. And there are some good coaches at Tech, I'm intrigued to see who our O'Leary is when we make the inevitable change after the Duke game headed into a bye.
The only way we replace Collins mid-season is if he realizes he will be gone as soon as the season ends and he wants to move on. He will only do that if we agree to pay him the full post-season buy-out. TStan needs to go as soon as we cannot realistically reach six wins.
I hope someone is assembling a list of potential AD's.

Look for GC to be fired then. No way Tech can add 3 more wins to their normal 3 win season. We might make 5 wins this season. The interesting view to this if Tstan thinks 5 is enough?

I think it would have to be the right 5 wins, without looking inept in any of the other games. Close losses to Ole Miss and Clemson early, then finishing strong. It would probably help to be 4-4 in the ACC, but that would mean losing to UCF. I guess a close loss to an 11-1/12-0 UCF and 4 ACC wins (wcu a given) might get CGC an extra year without a bowl appearance.

Nothing short of an ACCCG and a win over uga should warrant an extension of any kind.

Edit: swapped inept for clueless

Extension? Take those ööööing words out of your mouth!

Fresh-Prints-Will-Smith-gets-Angry-Chris-Rock-handles-the-situation-Oscar-2022.jpg

It's only been 4 weeks since you last asked this, so my expectations haven't changed...

We stumble into 4 wins on the season, only because I refuse to believe we will only win 3 for the fourth straight year. I'm expecting WCU and Duke (although Duke fans see this as a win for them too) but I don't know where the other 2 will come from. Blind luck upsets of teams who are looking past our game I guess. The UCF game will give us an early indication which way the season will go.

I see a 1-4 start before a win over Duke, then a chance vs UVa at home, but those final 5 games will be brutal once again - 4 tough road games, and the only home game is against ThugU. We will be underdogs in all of them. We'll need to steal a trap game somewhere in there, but the chances of going 2-3 against them are really slim. We also could get smoked in all 5 down that stretch.

The current head coach was already on the thinnest of ice, and after lashing his own future to the current head coach by staunchly endorsing him with "I've got my man", the current AD is in danger of being dragged under too. If a head coaching change needs to be made as a result of this season, he will not be the one who makes the next football coach hire.

I think it would have to be the right 5 wins, without looking inept in any of the other games. Close losses to Ole Miss and Clemson early, then finishing strong. It would probably help to be 4-4 in the ACC, but that would mean losing to UCF. I guess a close loss to an 11-1/12-0 UCF and 4 ACC wins (wcu a given) might get CGC an extra year without a bowl appearance.

Nothing short of an ACCCG and a win over uga should warrant an extension of any kind.

Edit: swapped inept for clueless
I think you inaccurately used the word "extension" in last month's thread too.

An "extension" in this context means adding year(s) to the end of the current contract, increasing the GTAA's spent money on this coach. That is just not going to happen, even with your miracle of biblical proportions. There are still 3 years remaining on the current contract, after the 2022 season.

I think you inaccurately used the word "extension" in last month's thread too.

An "extension" in this context means adding year(s) to the end of the current contract, increasing the GTAA's spent money on this coach. That is just not going to happen, even with your miracle of biblical proportions. There are still 3 years remaining on the current contract, after the 2022 season.

No, I meant extension. If we choose to keep CGC, there will be the usual “can’t recruit unless the coach has 4+ years remaining”. It is possible that we could see an extension that didn’t change the buyout that we already have on the books. Something like a one year extension, but the buyout changes to 1mil per year on the contract instead of 2mil.

I don’t see it happening though. We’ll win 3-5, but we will get blown out several times and probably drop an embarrassing loss to a bad team. Something that won’t encourage the fan base.

With all the staff changes (and the hype around the new recruiting guy, but I don’t follow recruiting at all), I’m starting to wonder if Collins isn’t getting another year regardless given the buyout, the weird Covid years, etc.

JRjr

With all the staff changes (and the hype around the new recruiting guy, but I don’t follow recruiting at all), I’m starting to wonder if Collins isn’t getting another year regardless given the buyout, the weird Covid years, etc.

JRjr
TStan has every intention of giving him thru end of next year to get to a winning record. Angel has every intention of minimizing buyouts because he's opposed to paying people to not coach. The fanbase has to put more pressure on Angel to get him to view the buyout as the lesser of two evils. He's rightfully looking at a scenario where we have buyouts for our AD as well as football and basketball coaches to go along with a lawsuit for terminating a coach for cause which will likely need to be settled and, of course, our debt service which I'm not sure I understand their strategy to ever address (why not AI2020 instead of doing more renovations). The GTAA basically can't survive those all at once and I'm beginning to wonder what a realistic outlook for the organization really is thru all the mismanagement.

TStan has every intention of giving him thru end of next year to get to a winning record. Angel has every intention of minimizing buyouts because he's opposed to paying people to not coach. The fanbase has to put more pressure on Angel to get him to view the buyout as the lesser of two evils. He's rightfully looking at a scenario where we have buyouts for our AD as well as football and basketball coaches to go along with a lawsuit for terminating a coach for cause which will likely need to be settled and, of course, our debt service which I'm not sure I understand their strategy to ever address (why not AI2020 instead of doing more renovations). The GTAA basically can't survive those all at once and I'm beginning to wonder what a realistic outlook for the organization really is thru all the mismanagement.
Angel needs to go too.

JRjr
If that happens, it becomes obvious that no one in control cares whether we ever have a successful football program again.

This is by far the most level-headed evaluation of Tech’s situation that I’ve seen on here. Well done sir.

I’m just praying that football finishes with a winning record so we aren’t looking at all of that at the same time.

JRjr
Collins is gone at the end of the year if there isn’t a winning record. No way around it. The question becomes who all else can we afford to get rid of at the same time.

Angel has every intention of minimizing buyouts because he's opposed to paying people to not coach.
Just to refresh everyone’s memory, Cabrera was the Prez of George Mason which is where Paul “Toilet Bowl” Hewitt landed after GT.

So Cabrera is familiar vicariously with paying loser coaches to sit on their asses.

Back