Realistic expectations

Article from last year going into the final two games. Phase two baby. Probably wasn't expecting how big a loss Sims would be once competition ramped up again.

Article from last year going into the final two games. Phase two baby. Probably wasn't expecting how big a loss Sims would be once competition ramped up again.
QB wasn't the problem
phase two baby
Who could forget that 55-0 game or the NBC meme
1649269531053.jpeg

QB wasn't the problem
phase two baby
Who could forget that 55-0 game or the NBC meme
You should write SI if you're upset with its content :dunno: Including graphics to cut off Tech's nose to spite its face is a nice self-hating touch!

As for thinking the QB was infallible, I will always fall back on the UNC game, or tale of two halves. The UNC DC said the same plays were being run. Sims was the difference. The other games where Yates remained scoreless throughout the year are enough supporting evidence.

You should write SI if you're upset with its content :dunno: Including graphics to cut off Tech's nose to spite its face is a nice self-hating touch!

As for thinking the QB was infallible, I will always fall back on the UNC game, or tale of two halves. The UNC DC said the same plays were being run. Sims was the difference. The other games where Yates remained scoreless throughout the year are enough supporting evidence.

I’m not sure the same plays were being run. Either that, or Yates was reading the RPO incorrectly. I don’t remember any QB keeps by Yates going outside. UNC was 100% playing the RB. They weren’t even attempting contain or spying the QB.

That was one of the worst DC performances since VT let Oliver run for 200+ yards on them.

I’m not sure the same plays were being run. Either that, or Yates was reading the RPO incorrectly. I don’t remember any QB keeps by Yates going outside. UNC was 100% playing the RB. They weren’t even attempting contain or spying the QB.

That was one of the worst DC performances since VT let Oliver run for 200+ yards on them.
Maybe. The DC did get canned this offseason. But it only magically became a "worst" performance when Sims came in. It's not like they were suffering earlier. I'm sure the difference in talent had nothing to do with it.

Q: What were the challenges that occurred when Sims came in for GT?

BATEMAN: “I really think it was more the mistakes we made to be honest with you. I think Sims is a really good player, I think Jordan Yates is a really good player. They ran the same plays, we just didn’t tackle as well, we didn’t leverage the ball, and we made some really, really bad errors that we normally don’t make. I mean give him credit obviously, especially the last run was a really good run, but I think it was more our mistakes than anything that happened on the other side of the ball to be honest with you.”

Maybe. The DC did get canned this offseason. But it only magically became a "worst" performance when Sims came in. It's not like they were suffering earlier. I'm sure the difference in talent had nothing to do with it.

It didn’t magically become a “worst” performance until they didn’t respond to the QB keeper. I don’t remember Yates running one, but could be wrong.
It’s possible Yates was making the wrong read and it’s possible CDP wasn’t calling an RPO for Yates because he didn’t feel he could run it.

UNC was a great game for Sims, no doubt.

Didn't UNC openly admit they didn't think Sims would play and so didn't plan for him? That seemed to be the biggest difference to me.

Do you think Nick Saban and his staff could step into our team's locker room and turn them into winners overnight?
The over under on wins the last 3 years with Satan at the helm is probably 24 with our roster as it was. He wins 9 last year, 7 in the shortened season and 8 in Year 1. We play in an extremely weak conference & the much weaker side of that conference to boot, with a pretty weak OOC line up. Yeah Satan would proobably only beat Clemp once (last year), maybe never beats the mutts until Year 4 and doesn't fare well against ND either, but he bitch slaps Northern, Citadel, Temple, etc and only other losses to ACC teams are those that are having an unusually strong season that year. Satan doesn't hire the incompetent OC from ODU or wherever he came from, wouldn't have had Thacker on his staff, would leave Key behind at Bammer, sure as hell doesn't just stand there when WRs constantly run past our DBs and certainly wouldn't clap for our OL doing matador imitations. There would be no dancing, undisciplined players would be throttled or ran off, etc. It has been something like 22 seasons since Satan won less than 8 games. The man knows how to coach. He's probably 30+ wins at GT with just a couple of talented players he'd draw to the Flats. Who knows, maybe it could have been more?

The over under on wins the last 3 years with Satan at the helm is probably 24 with our roster as it was. He wins 9 last year, 7 in the shortened season and 8 in Year 1. We play in an extremely weak conference & the much weaker side of that conference to boot, with a pretty weak OOC line up. Yeah Satan would proobably only beat Clemp once (last year), maybe never beats the mutts until Year 4 and doesn't fare well against ND either, but he bitch slaps Northern, Citadel, Temple, etc and only other losses to ACC teams are those that are having an unusually strong season that year. Satan doesn't hire the incompetent OC from ODU or wherever he came from, wouldn't have had Thacker on his staff, would leave Key behind at Bammer, sure as hell doesn't just stand there when WRs constantly run past our DBs and certainly wouldn't clap for our OL doing matador imitations. There would be no dancing, undisciplined players would be throttled or ran off, etc. It has been something like 22 seasons since Satan won less than 8 games. The man knows how to coach. He's probably 30+ wins at GT with just a couple of talented players he'd draw to the Flats. Who knows, maybe it could have been more?

Few would doubt that the greatest coach of all time would have generated different results had he been on the Flats for the past three years, but my comments were directed towards the realistic expectations for 2022 with the team and talent we currently have; not a speculation on revision of history. That said, cutting out the dancing might be worth another win or two even with the current group.

Saban wouldn't have hired Patenaude and Thacker, but who would he have found to do those jobs for 400k? I say he would have gotten us to a bowl in year 3 but you are really underestimating the impact of resources.

Saban wouldn't have hired Patenaude and Thacker, but who would he have found to do those jobs for 400k? I say he would have gotten us to a bowl in year 3 but you are really underestimating the impact of resources.
Saban maintained status quo at Mich State. It wasn't until he had better assistants and recruits, namely the best recruits, that he became the "greatest"

You think that if we had Satan, we wouldn't have raised any more $$ than we did. That's an interesting take. We had plenty of talent, we just squandered it not deciding what we were going to do. You fight the Army you have, not the one you wish you had. G*C* missed that life lesson.

Saban maintained status quo at Mich State. It wasn't until he had better assistants and recruits, namely the best recruits, that he became the "greatest"
Another interesting take- you don't think over the course of 20 years Satan learned much about being a football coach. I don;t think he coaches or runs a program anything like he did when he first started out, but that's just my opinion. Same way as I lead my Teams today much differently than 2 yrs out of GT, he's learned a few things along the way.

You think that if we had Satan, we wouldn't have raised any more $$ than we did. That's an interesting take. We had plenty of talent, we just squandered it not deciding what we were going to do. You fight the Army you have, not the one you wish you had. G*C* missed that life lesson.

Another interesting take- you don't think over the course of 20 years Satan learned much about being a football coach. I don;t think he coaches or runs a program anything like he did when he first started out, but that's just my opinion. Same way as I lead my Teams today much differently than 2 yrs out of GT, he's learned a few things along the way.
I think institutional success plays a bigger role than the particular coach. Not to say that he isn't a slouch. But Les Miles won a natty at LSU and crashed at Kansas. I doubt he suddenly forgot what he was doing.

Saban would have processed the entire roster as soon as he could, dropped every commit we had and over signed like crazy until he got the army he wanted. We talking about the same guy?

Back