Rules Changes by NCAA oversight committee.

Maybe not awesome, but it more than adequately destroys your whining post about cut blocks not being real football. Every team uses them and GT does because it's effective for many of the plays we run.

Every team will need to stop using them. It will be interesting to see if CPJ can adapt his scheme to stand-up blocking. This might help recruiting if guys know they won't be flopping around like catfish anymore.

It's also a cheap shot according to the Rules Committee else they wouldn't be in the process of outlawing the garbage.

It's a move made by pussies who can't stand up and block normally - which is why you're such a big fan of it.
I’m not one for making threats on the internets but if you would like to fight in real life I’ll oblige.

Knees get hurt from low hits. The question is whether playing the game makes the risk necessary. CPJ is right to say that if it is dangerous to shoot low blocking it is dangerous to shoot low tackling. If we are serious about protecting knees/legs from low hits then we will have to move the rules to where there is no low contact. You cannot dive to tackle, you cannot dive to block. It would be wise then to outlaw hands in the ground on the line of scrimmage and to flag any player that dives to initiate contact. Contact would be initiated from the waist up. And, of course, with due concern for concussions, from the shoulders down. The remaining risk to legs would then be from blocks or tackles that push a player backward while their legs are stationary, those gruesome plays that can tear knees and break legs. My question is, by removing these risky hits, does the game change to the point it may not be worth playing at all? I am not sure of the answer.

I’m not one for making threats on the internets but if you would like to fight in real life I’ll oblige.

Ah, so it's OK for me to get insulted by low IQ garbage non-fans from other schools but how dare I respond back? you're not even part of the conversation. take a hike, internet tough guy.

Every team will need to stop using them. It will be interesting to see if CPJ can adapt his scheme to stand-up blocking. This might help recruiting if guys know they won't be flopping around like catfish anymore.
If a 195 pound running back is standing in pass protect, and a 260 pound linebacker is running at him full speed, is it safer for the running back to cut block or stand-up block?

If a 195 pound running back is standing in pass protect, and a 260 pound linebacker is running at him full speed, is it safer for the running back to cut block or stand-up block?

Nah, he just needs to stand aside and let him through. This is big boy football, now.

it's more effective to stand up and block him. Since you've used an NFL pic, I'll use one too. Here's Leveon Bell making a block that allows Ben to get the pass off (that should've been caught for a TD)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...ssible-block-on-Wesley-Woodyard-saves-Big-Ben

Here's how easy it is to avoid the cut. this happens a ton to us.

It's interesting that some of you are so vociferously defending the Cut Block when we are sooooo bad at it. Our guys whiff all the damn time, resulting in a ton of backfield chaos due to whiffs and misses. Why so much hatred for standing up and blocking the DL/LBs??

Last edited:
it's more effective to stand up and block him. Since you've used an NFL pic, I'll use one too. Here's Leveon Bell making a block that allows Ben to get the pass off (that should've been caught for a TD)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...ssible-block-on-Wesley-Woodyard-saves-Big-Ben

Here's how easy it is to avoid the cut. this happens a ton to us.

It's interesting that some of you are so vociferously defending the Cut Block when we are sooooo bad at it. Our guys whiff all the damn time, resulting in a ton of backfield chaos due to whiffs and misses. Why so much hatred for standing up and blocking the D?

I guess we've moved past the point that people in the nfl cut block. I assume you agree that they do.

So now is the discussion about effectiveness? Safety?

I have no problem with standing up and blocking the D. I have noticed we have a difficult time recruiting linemen the same size as Alabama, Clemson, UGA, etc. Therefore, I like the fact our guys can cut. I think it is more effective, though there are certainly blown assignments and poor cut blocks. I would also argue standing up and blocking will lead to more concussions than cut blocking when there is a significant size disparity.

But I will concede that there are pros and cons to each blocking style.

I know the chop block was outlawed in the early 80s.

A chop block involve 2 offensive linemen. Either both are using a cut block on one defensive player or one O linemen is hitting high and the other is delivering a cut block. Does that sound right to the board? Just asking since Rainbow didn't understand the difference.

Its funny how coaches want there defensive players to attack the thighs and rap up. I've also seen defensive players throw themselves at at a a ball carrier's legs especially from the defensive secondary.

Rainbow, I asked you define a chop block in other posts. You didn't know so I did for you.
Since I defined a chop block to you I knew what a chop block was and when it was outlawed.
You couldn't answer the question. Since I stated the answer to the question I posted it was rhetorical.

I guess we've moved past the point that people in the nfl cut block. I assume you agree that they do.

I have no problem with standing up and blocking the D. I have noticed we have a difficult time recruiting linemen the same size as Alabama, Clemson, UGA, etc. Therefore, I like the fact our guys can cut. I think it is more effective, though there are certainly blown assignments and poor cut blocks. I would also argue standing up and blocking will lead to more concussions than cut blocking when there is a significant size disparity.

Don't try to use logic with Rainbow,Buzzlaw.. He can't comprehend it!

I'm guessing this is more about safety than anything else. Not sure what the concussion-rate-due-to-stand-up-blocking is, though I don't recall ever seeing anyone get one from being blocked. That's an admittedly-small sample size though lol.

I also think that stand-up blocking would (will!) be more effective for us than cutting has been. Few things are more frustrating than watching TQ/JT/Tevin/JFN run for their lives, with flopping white-and-gold jerseys in their wake and missed blockers in hot pursuit.

With the cut, if we miss, it's 100% ineffective. The LB just flies to the ball carrier, barely breaking his stride. With a stand-up block (As the Leveon Bell block shows), even if the guy gets pancaked, it buys at least a tad more time for the QB to get off the throw / run for a 1st down / pitch it than our flopping-catfish diving technique buys.

I have no problem with standing up and blocking the D. I have noticed we have a difficult time recruiting linemen the same size as Alabama, Clemson, UGA, etc. Therefore, I like the fact our guys can cut.

That "same size" argument isn't completely accurate. Looking at 2018 rosters...the Alabama DL ranges from 280 - 308 #. Clemson has one reincarnation of the Fridge at 340# but the rest of their DL are guys with similar weights.

Our OL has 3 guys over 300 #s and plenty in the 280+ range. Even Navy's got some 300# hawgs on their OL.

There's no weight-based reason for our OL to be cutting. Also, once one of these hosses dives and flops to the ground, they're out of the play. Conversely, the guy who's still standing can perhaps throw another block if protection breaks down elsewhere and QB has to take off.

Last edited:
It doesn’t look like the cut blocks worked too well in the pics abov

Didn't we have a guy last year who's playing weight was around 340 lbs?

I disagree with your assessment. Maybe we don't get quality OL anymore due to the fact that no one wants to spend 75% of their plays flopping on the ground.

It doesn’t look like the cut blocks worked too well in the pics abov

Didn't we have a guy last year who's playing weight was around 340 lbs?

I disagree with your assessment. Maybe we don't get quality OL anymore due to the fact that no one wants to spend 75% of their plays flopping on the ground.

I think this rule will help our OL recruiting for that very reason.

This thread cracks me up. To you posters who defend cut blocks, how do you think our OL has performed overall in the past 10 years? If you defend cut blocking on 75% of our plays, then I guess you are defending Sewak as well.

Don't try to use logic with Rainbow,Buzzlaw.. He can't comprehend it!
Do you or do you not think Sewak is doing a good job? If so, then you're a lunatic. If not, then do you think his over-reliance on cut blocking is the main problem?

This thread cracks me up. To you posters who defend cut blocks, how do you think our OL has performed overall in the past 10 years? If you defend cut blocking on 75% of our plays, then I guess you are defending Sewak as well.

For some, I think it's just misinformation. The belief that our OL is outsized by the DLs of other teams is a myth, with the exception of a player here and there. Perhaps at small FCS'ish schools, that's the case but even the service academy OLs are matching up decently (in terms of size/weight) nowadays.

Now, these other schools' DLmen may be quicker than ours but that's EVEN MORE reason to stand up and try to get in the way. Diver Down blocking is so laughably avoided by these speedy DEs, DLs, and LBs these days who just hop over our prone guys and tee off on our QB or trip up A-backs deep in the backfield, etc.

Like you, given the numerous complaints from both CPJ and fans about poor blocking and 'missed assignments', I don't know fans can support continuing something that is clearly not working. Repeating the same thing and expecting different results, etc.

People seem convinced that this rule is inevitably going to lead to a ban on cut blocks at the line of scrimmage in the near future. I have my doubts on that.

Last edited:
Back