Rules Changes by NCAA oversight committee.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
FC295FEE-BC50-4E12-B879-85334DA6C22E.jpeg

Big boy football doesn’t cut block. I guess the super bowl champions don’t play big boy football.
Look, you love Army & Navy brand of football as well as high-school ball at GSU and I don't. Accept it and move on.

It'd be nice to be better than Army & Navy but right now, I don't think we're as good as they are, which is pretty sad considering our HC has been here a decade.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
“Either blocking below the waist is dangerous or it’s not. It’s not anymore dangerous five yards down the field than it is on the line of scrimmage. If it’s that scary, they ought to not tackle below the waist.” - Paul Johnson
This is kind of a nonsensical comment.

It's clear that the rules committees think blocking below the waist is dangerous. They are literally flashing a red neon sign that says "Blocking below the waist is dangerous. Don't do it!" (I'm not saying I agree. I'm saying the message is pretty obvious that they think it is). They decided to give Tech, and other 3O teams time to adjust by only making it illegal beyond 5 yards right now. It's likely going to change soon.

The alternative wasn't it's legal beyond 5 yards. The alternative was, as CPJ seems to be wanting, that it's completely illegal, which would have only screwed Tech and the academies without giving them any time to adjust. The discrepancy in the rule as implemented is clearly intended to give existing teams reliant on cut blocks time to adjust. To complain about that seems counterproductive at the very least.

Also, I have to disagree that all cut blocks are the same. There's a huge difference when you're a D-lineman expecting a cut block off the snap and therefore able to find a way to evade it, and a linebacker running towards the edge and having someone cut you below the knees along the sidelines, without a dead period to position yourself to prepare for it.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
I understand what you are saying but if you're a LB playing a team that uses cut blocks then you would expect the offensive blocker to use one on you.
Still it doesn't matter anymore because the NCAA says you cant use a cut block 5 yards past the LOS.

The NCAA then needs to address a defensive player using a cut tackle.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
That was a rhetorical question buffoon. I placed it there because you never answered my question to you.
It wasn't a rhetorical question, you idiot. You clearly don't know what a cut block is and probably not a chop either and had to ask everyone else. I don't know WTH you're talking about in regards to answering your question to me.

Even by GSU "standards", you're an idiot.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I understand what you are saying but if you're a LB playing a team that uses cut blocks then you would expect the offensive blocker to use one on you.
This is probably true. However, as many on this board (including in this thread) will point out, 3O teams are not the only ones who cut block downfield. This change is likely supposed to affect the non 3O teams who also throw downfield cut blocks, which could arguably be more dangerous (I haven't seen any evidence to this effect, but it's fair to say that the rules committee thinks that's the case).

I really doubt this change has anything to do with hurting 3O teams. If anything, it's likely cut blocks were not completely blocked and the 5 yard cushion included in order to protect 3O teams.

Last edited:

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
It wasn't a rhetorical question, you idiot. You clearly don't know what a cut block is and probably not a chop either and had to ask everyone else. I don't know WTH you're talking about in regards to answering your question to me.

I asked you to explain it to me and you never did because you couldn't so I gave YOU the answer.
You can't be a GT grade because you're to stupid.

I see you over looked Buzzlaws post. What no reply to a big boy NFL team using a cut block.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
This is probably true. However, as many on this board (including in this thread) will point out, 3O teams are not the only ones who cut block downfield. This change is likely supposed to affect the non 3O teams who also throw downfield cut blocks, which could arguable be more dangerous (I haven't seen any evidence to this effect, but it's fair to say that the rules committee thinks that's the case).

I really doubt this change has anything to do with hurting 3O teams. If anything, it's likely cut blocks were not completely blocked and the 5 yard cushion included in order to protect 3O teams.
Good post, but I'd like to see the NCAAs evidence to the fact!

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob

Sure it was rhetorical, because I explained it to you. (Duhhhh)

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Well if you're listening to Rainbow you'ed never think an NFL team would would use a punk @aa cut block.
Please note the Rainbow did not respond to Buzzlaw's post.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Well if you're listening to Rainbow you'ed never think an NFL team would would use a punk @aa cut block.
Please note the Rainbow did not respond to Buzzlaw's post.
If we're gonna do as NFL teams do, we need to throw it about 30 more times / game. But you'd hate that - not enough QB option plays! You'd hate winning a natty if it meant we had to throw it more. You're a fan of the system and the coach, not the school.

Why do I need to respond to Buzzlaw's post?

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
I asked you to explain it to me and you never did because you couldn't so I gave YOU the answer.
You can't be a GT grade because you're to stupid.

I see you over looked Buzzlaws post. What no reply to a big boy NFL team using a cut block.
now you're just lying. You've not asked for anything other than "the board" to explain to you what a cut block is (the Board was silent - because no one likes you). Not once have you asked me anything other than where I was playing when I got 'injured'. Which was ignored since I never got injured when I played nor was my injury status (or lack) ever a part of an NCAA Rules discussion. What does me not getting injured have to do with the legality of downfield cut blocks? Do you bother to read what you post? Wait - no need to answer that.

Buzzlaw posted a nice pic of a recent Super Bowl with some players lying on the ground. They resembled our Sewak-coached linemen watching our QB take another sack after the OL gets leap-frogged. The first pic has the DL #69 (lol) easily avoiding the stupid cut block and already in the backfield. The other guy in the first pic isn't cutting but hitting the guy in the midsection so a bit of a fail there. The second pic, the Ram is easily avoiding the stupid cut by the WR but all 4 of the guys outside are out of the play so it doesn't matter.

Buzzlaw's a stand-up guy but these pics don't do much to lend credence to cut blocking being awesome.

And again (for at least the 3rd time), it's irrelevant. If there are sides to this debate, my side has already won: Cut blocking is now illegal 5 yds downfield and likely will soon be entirely illegal, thank the gods. Bitch all you want but you're just pissing into the wind.