Rules Changes by NCAA oversight committee.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I don't understand why people think this particular type of injury is more deserving of rules-change amelioration than other types of injury. You can injure your ankle on pretty much every tackle.

Does some football non-profit have any kind of stats on which types of plays/actions resulted in injuries? Seems like QB's getting slammed from behind while standing in the pocket would lead the list. We outta ban passing to solve that problem.
Do you really think rules haven't been changed to protect the QB?

18in32

Petard Hoister
Do you really think rules haven't been changed to protect the QB?
No of course not. But like cut blocks (allegedly), while rules have been changed to make it harder to do, it's still a big cause of injury. So why not go all the way?

There's a point at which you have to ask: does making football safer make it no longer fun as football? Is tackling necessary? Of course, we say, rolling our eyes. Then why not cut blocking?

I guess my primary objection is that this seems so arbitrary. Why draw the line here? And not up there or back there?

Last edited:

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
That "same size" argument isn't completely accurate. Looking at 2018 rosters...the Alabama DL ranges from 280 - 308 #. Clemson has one reincarnation of the Fridge at 340# but the rest of their DL are guys with similar weights.

Our OL has 3 guys over 300 #s and plenty in the 280+ range. Even Navy's got some 300# hawgs on their OL.

There's no weight-based reason for our OL to be cutting. Also, once one of these hosses dives and flops to the ground, they're out of the play. Conversely, the guy who's still standing can perhaps throw another block if protection breaks down elsewhere and QB has to take off.
I’ll take your word on the size argument. I just know we have a much harder time getting the highly ranked linemen

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
This thread cracks me up. To you posters who defend cut blocks, how do you think our OL has performed overall in the past 10 years? If you defend cut blocking on 75% of our plays, then I guess you are defending Sewak as well.
I think our OL performance is incredibly important to our success. And, in PJ’s tenure, we’ve had more success than almost any other GT coach. We’ve also had some failures.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
do you think that continuing to cut as often as we do is a good thing? Do you think our blocking is mostly solid without much reason to change anything?
To your first question, yes. I think it really helps if we are really good at what we do. We need to be the best cut blocking team in the country, and therefore we need to practice a lot for it.

To your second question, look at our offensive performance each year. Sometimes we are good and sometimes we are great.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
I’ll take your word on the size argument. I just know we have a much harder time getting the highly ranked linemen
No argument there. I think our over-reliance on cut-blocking as well as the perception attached to it hurts our ability to get these guys.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
No argument there. I think our over-reliance on cut-blocking as well as the perception attached to it hurts our ability to get these guys.
You are aware we lost to Uga 7 years in a row before PJ showed up aren’t you? We weren’t lighting up the world with our recruiting classes before him, and we haven’t dropped off much, if at all, since his arrival.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
You are aware we lost to Uga 7 years in a row before PJ showed up aren’t you? We weren’t lighting up the world with our recruiting classes before him, and we haven’t dropped off much, if at all, since his arrival.
I agree that CPJ and his system haven't helped recruiting one bit. In the case of OL, I think it's probably hurt us. As you said, it clearly hasn't helped.

Of course, before those 7 Gailey years, we beat the mutts 3 IAR and a few years before that, won a natty.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
I think our blocking has clearly been suspect and inconsistent, but a missed assignment is a missed assignment whether you're going high or low. I don't think getting rid of cut blocking is going to be a magic solution to guys just not comprehending the system/blocking the right guy. I'd be happy to see a new coach on the OL, but that's clearly a non-starter, I guess. Mostly, I think the cut blocking issue is way overblown.
Our good and great HCs didn't have a problem with a good line coach teaching the execution and assignments for cut blocking.
It sounds like GTs O line coach needs to be rethought our you need a new one. As you all know a great line will improve execution of the play,
make a average QB better and a above average QB, most likely, into an excellent one. You know, no more flopping fish not finishing his block.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
So Sewak is the O-line coach & West is his co - O line coach for the last 2 years. Is Sewak is giving West to much control? Still if Sewak isn't running the show as he should be its on him.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
I agree that CPJ and his system haven't helped recruiting one bit. In the case of OL, I think it's probably hurt us. As you said, it clearly hasn't helped.

Of course, before those 7 Gailey years, we beat the mutts 3 IAR and a few years before that, won a natty.
I disagree with your assessment of recruiting. CPJ should not receive the blame for our recruiting staff being a fraction of the size of our competitors. I think your frustration is misplaced.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
I disagree with your assessment of recruiting. CPJ should not receive the blame for our recruiting staff being a fraction of the size of our competitors. I think your frustration is misplaced.
No frustration here. I don't have any data on the size of our recruiting staff vs others nor do I know how the size of today's recruiting staff compares to years past. I do think our built-in restrictions combined with the scheme work against us pretty effectively.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob

If the Spread Triple option is a High School offense, as you say, their should be a lot of of high school players to recruit. So where is the problem?

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
No frustration here. I don't have any data on the size of our recruiting staff vs others nor do I know how the size of today's recruiting staff compares to years past. I do think our built-in restrictions combined with the scheme work against us pretty effectively.
Of course you have any data & you never do! Read the above and give me an answer for a change!

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Rainbow played Highs School ball. Its obvious that he could not defeat a clean cut block & so he cries about them. I'm guessing his coach didn't teach him well.
Rainbow says he is not frustrated. I wish Rainbow had 4 years to recruit for GT and run a different offensive scheme. All your problems would be solved!