SEC is a shell of its former self...

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
ESPN article so click at your own risk...

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../sec-looks-alabama-crimson-tide-not-much-else

Surprised that I could find it on the SECSPN website since it shows the beloved SEC in a negative light. The dwag lays it out there like I think most people view it at this point. The SEC blows and continues to ride the coat tails of Bama. Highlights the fact that only 2 remaining coaches in the SEC have ever beaten Saban's Alabama. Bama and the thirteen dwarves indeed.

It's a HC brain drain. Compare where they were during their decade long heyday compared to where they are now. I don't know if it's coaches running from Saban or just one of those cyclic things.

Saban
Fulmer
Miles
Meyer
Spurrier
Richt
Tubberville
Petrino (questionable to include him in this list but whatev)
Pinkel (questionable to include him in this list but whatev)

Not gonna read it as I'm sure it's saying the same thing we've all known for a few years, but again it all goes back to coaching. You've got 4 should-be powerhouses in UT/UF/LSU/uga who have lost elite coaches in the last decade and haven't been able to replace them with anything special. If you ranked the Top 10 coaches out of the ACC/SEC, 7 or 8 of them would be from the ACC.

Franklin -> whoevers at Vandy
Meyer -> McElwain (Elite offense to one of the worst in the country)
Richt -> Kirby
Miles -> Orgeron (this one's just hilarious)
Petrino -> Bielema
Spurrier -> Muschamp
Ole Miss cheating -> Ole Miss clean
Auburn with Cam -> Auburn without Cam

It's kind of crazy the collection of coaching talent they had 5/10 years ago. Two of those guys went to the ACC and two to the Big 10. And they somehow can't convince an established HC to come in. They're going to be down for at least 2-3 more years too while they ride the contracts out. More if they keep making öööö hires.

Outside of Saban, I'd take CPJ, Fisher, Richt, Petrino, Cutcliffe, and Swinney (as long as he brings his OC/DC) over any SEC HC. And that's not really much of a stretch. **EDIT** forgot about Mullen. He'd probably be next after those 7. And he might beat out Petrino or Cutcliffe.

Last edited:
Not gonna read it as I'm sure it's saying the same thing we've all known for a few years, but again it all goes back to coaching. You've got 4 should-be powerhouses in UT/UF/LSU/uga who have lost elite coaches in the last decade and haven't been able to replace them with anything special. If you ranked the Top 10 coaches out of the ACC/SEC, 7 or 8 of them would be from the ACC.

Franklin -> whoevers at Vandy
Meyer -> McElwain (Elite offense to one of the worst in the country)
Richt -> Kirby
Miles -> Orgeron (this one's just hilarious)
Petrino -> Bielema
Spurrier -> Muschamp
Ole Miss cheating -> Ole Miss clean
Auburn with Cam -> Auburn without Cam

It's kind of crazy the collection of coaching talent they had 5/10 years ago. Two of those guys went to the ACC and two to the Big 10. And they somehow can't convince an established HC to come in. They're going to be down for at least 2-3 more years too while they ride the contracts out. More if they keep making öööö hires.

Outside of Saban, I'd take CPJ, Fisher, Richt, Petrino, Cutcliffe, and Swinney (as long as he brings his OC/DC) over any SEC HC. And that's not really much of a stretch. **EDIT** forgot about Mullen. He'd probably be next after those 7. And he might beat out Petrino or Cutcliffe.

This is what I have been saying now for over a year. Compare the SEC and ACC coaches from a decade ago to now. It's night and day for both conferences. The ACC today has the upper hand.

I assume this is just ESPN clickbait and I refuse to do this.

Alabama is the only SEC school to get into the CFP, so of course the other schools look bad. The SEC East is mediocre, and there's been a lot of coaching turn-over because fans of schools not named Alabama are irrationally jealous. And I guess the ACC now has some coaches who can recruit kids away from the SEC schools. I wouldn't know anything about that.

I'm not sold on McElwain being a bust... yet... Muschamp was a bust. I am grateful every day that that bad idea didn't end up here.

I think a lot of it goes back to an entitlement complex, and I think Saban is in large part responsible for the implosion. Fans/boosters convinced themselves that the SEC is an extension of the NFL and they dont accept any results less than what Saban has been able to achieve at LSU and Alabama. They get antsy and have embarked on a coaching carousel looking for the next Saban. It is hard to get consistent performance and attact top coaching talent when your management style mimics the Cleveland Browns vs say the Steelers or Packers that put good people in and accept a bad season every now and then.

ESPN article so click at your own risk...

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../sec-looks-alabama-crimson-tide-not-much-else

Surprised that I could find it on the SECSPN website since it shows the beloved SEC in a negative light. The dwag lays it out there like I think most people view it at this point. The SEC blows and continues to ride the coat tails of Bama. Highlights the fact that only 2 remaining coaches in the SEC have ever beaten Saban's Alabama. Bama and the thirteen dwarves indeed.
How is this any different than the ACC riding the coattails of Clemson?

I wouldn’t say the SEC is a shell of its former self as much as it is just experiencing a market correction after being over hyped. There used to be an era when a coach put his team on the field, and whatever happened, happened. That was a coaching era, and that last generation of coaches to win national titles that way have disappeared with Miles (counting Chizik as a fluke).

You can still have good teams with good coaching, but becoming a national title contender is a business. Saban, Meyer, Swinney, and Fisher all run their programs the same way. They are process managers that are overseeing a large organization of coaches and support staff. Alabama pays more for their support staff army than we pay our head coach. Each coach has good schemes, good hires, and a good pipeline of players. The formula weeds out any schools without deep pockets and a great support system. The SEC has gone astray by chasing this coaching pipedream, thinking they just need a good coach without realizing that era is over, or overpaying for a Saban coordinator thinking that coach will import the formula to the new school. The end result is that the school winds up doing worse than before.

Dont read ESPN, but agree with am fascinated by the point that Saban's Alabama is not just killing college football, it is killing the SEC as well. And if you think about it, and look at the numbers, even more so.

I do expect the December signing day to hurt Alabama most which is a big step in the right direction. Will it be enough? Too little too late?

How is this any different than the ACC riding the coattails of Clemson?
5 ACC coaches played Clemson within 1 score last year, before Clemson went on to punk Urban Meyer and beat Nick Saban.

Only 1 SEC coach even played Alabama within 3 scores last year, and the Tide won their conference championship by 34 points.

There's your difference.

Back