SEC is a shell of its former self...

5 ACC coaches played Clemson within 1 score last year, before Clemson went on to punk Urban Meyer and beat Nick Saban.

Only 1 SEC coach even played Alabama within 3 scores last year, and the Tide won their conference championship by 34 points.

There's your difference.
Oh my...played with one score...Still goes down in the record books as a big fat L

Oh my...played with one score...Still goes down in the record books as a big fat L
I think you're somehow missing the point. The SEC is supposed to be the meat grinder schedule where every game is tough, but Alabama literally only played one close game. Nobody in that conference can even compete with them. Five different teams at least challenged Clemson last year, and one team even beat them.

I think you're somehow missing the point. The SEC is supposed to be the meat grinder schedule where every game is tough, but Alabama literally only played one close game. Nobody in that conference can even compete with them. Five different teams at least challenged Clemson last year, and one team even beat them.

Yeah, but if last year's Clemson team played last year's Bama team, Bama would crush them cuz SEC!

Wait...

I said like 7 years ago Bama would kill the SEC

I think McIlwain is a decent enough coach, though someone with his offensive background hasn't been able to put together a competent offense. Florida should be able to get top flight QBs, RBs, WRs and OL. I think they are a little shy in those areas, though Franks showed off a pretty strong arm in that final play against UT.
Mason might be the best coach in the SEC East right now.
The West? I think Mullen is a pretty good coach. The rest are either in over their heads or just not good enough. If one of those teams was good enough, they'd be 11-1, 10-2, every year, aside from the Bama loss. In the last three full seasons, only two teams other than Alabama have cracked the 10-win mark in the SEC West. In 12 and 13, there were three SEC West teams in each season to post at least 10 wins.

And how did we lose to Butch Jones? Sonofa.....

I think it is likely there are up to 5 coaches fired in the SEC this year.

LSU trading Miles for Orgeron and the mutts trading Richt for Kirby Goff was laughable. Total panic hires.

Getting rid of a coach for not beating Alabama is dumb because hardly anyone is beating them.

The most stable program in the SEC right now other than Alabama is Mississippi State. Think about that for a minute and it should provide some perspective on what a mess the SEC is right now.

I am not reading that öööö. I assume since it is espin it must be because of racism.

OK. You are officially an idiot.

Leviathan tells me the club meets at JJ's cabin.
Country party at the cabin. Nothing but drinking, dancing, fighting, and ööööing.

Part of what is hurting the SEC is how awful the Eastern division is. The SECCG hasn't been competitive since Georgia played in it back 2012 and even that year was an outlier.

Missouri was pretty decent right before they joined the SEC and they continued to win in their new conference showing that the East really wasn't anything special. As it has mentioned before, coaching is a factor.

I've never seen such horrible offenses from UF since Zook and even he wasn't this bad. Butch Jones is out of his league. I remember when UF/UT was a must watch rivalry game. The jury is still out on Smart and we'll all see how Georgia's season is going to go in the next two weeks.

I don't think Jones is out of his league, but that offensive philosophy doesn't mesh with what he is recruiting. He needs to line up under center and run the ball.

If Chubb and Michel had turned pro last year, UGAg would be a horrible team this season. They are mediocre now, but those two take the pressure off a bit.

I don't think Jones is out of his league, but that offensive philosophy doesn't mesh with what he is recruiting. He needs to line up under center and run the ball.

You're right, he isn't out of his league compared to other SEC East coaches, I don't know why I wrote that.

The SEC can be summed up like this: Nick Saban has given other SEC fan bases very unrealistic expectations.

You're right, he isn't out of his league compared to other SEC East coaches, I don't know why I wrote that.

The SEC can be summed up like this: Nick Saban has given other SEC fan bases very unrealistic expectations.
Its more than that. These schools are currently overwhelmingly performing below reasonable expectations.

Its largely due to overreacting to unrealistic expectations, true. But is coaches wanting to avoid Saban another factor?

Makes one realize how tough it is to put together a passing offense every year. If UF, LSU, Auburn, and the like can't do it.....who can?

Well, I've said on this board for years that the ACC was quietly making better coaching hires. The problem is while the ACC is vastly improved as a whole, it's not as predictable where the improvement is from year to year. Virginia made a good hire and should be better. NC's culture won't let them really improve. It's the usual suspects, FSU, Clemson, and maybe soon, Miami--the teams who have at least some history of winning big--who have been able to step up. In general, your division of the ACC has maybe the best lineup of head coaches in the NCAA.

As for the SEC, the hype peaked the year all those SECW teams tanked in their bowls, including the MSU team you beat. And that seems to be right when things particularly went south. My latest theory is Saban has raised the pressure level to the point that coaches are fired whether or not there's a good replacement. And in this sport, there just aren't many great coaches. LSU, of all programs, ends up with Orgeron, South Carolina with their fourth choice, Muschamp. Others take the Auburn route--fire all the coordinators and assistants (Notre Dame also did this) which is the WORST way to improve a program. Impatience to catch Saban has placed everybody farther away from Saban.

Back