SEC Only Playoff

Ratings will continue to plummet if anything like this happens. Just look at the NBA ratings ever since they started the woke movement. Never had lower ratings in finals history (last year). They’ve shrunk their fan base by 50%.

That’s never going to happen again
It’s happening right now. “College football “is going to be limited to 20 to 25 teams that will compete for a national championship every year. Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Miami, Penn State, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma State, and most colleges will not be in that group. Which is fine.

I don't see how creating a separate exclusive league would increase revenues for ESPN so I'm not sure I see them pushing for it's creation. A new league would greatly dilute the value of the contracts they have with other conferences and I think there is a limit to the number of eyeballs that are going to watch college football on any given Saturday.

Do it….and let the rest of us return to conventional college football with actual student-athletes.

That’s never going to happen again

It’s happening right now. “College football “is going to be limited to 20 to 25 teams that will compete for a national championship every year. Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Miami, Penn State, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma State, and most colleges will not be in that group. Which is fine.

And you think that all of those schools are playing football with "actual" student athletes and going back to the regional conferences and traditions that defined conventional college football for long? Are we finally acknowleding that Louisville doesn't belong in the Atlantic Coast Conference?

Last edited:
And you think that all of those schools are playing football with "actual" student athletes and going back to the regional conferences and traditions that defined conventional college football for long? Are we finally acknowleding that Louisville doesn't belong in the Atlantic Coast Conference?
Yes. I think there’s a big difference between in what Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama have been doing for the past 30 years and what is happening right now. What is happening right now is the decision to completely commercialize college football and deliberately make it absolutely nothing, zero, zilch to do with college whatsoever. It’s a matter of time before they eliminate the classroom requirements.

There was a time under the old rules that Georgia Tech would beat Georgia or Clemson. That will never, ever happen again under the new NIL and player portal rules. It will be like the University of Georgia playing the Atlanta Falcons. Never even close.

I don't agree with all the "death of college football" rhetoric. The NFL and various alternate pro leagues did not end college football. There is clearly a market for a couple dozen televised college football games every weekend. The semi-pro league might get most of the prime time slots and broadcast crews, but that is pretty much what happens already. It might make sense for the non-factories to be competing at a different level and give their fans some hope for an exceptional season, instead of the same factory top-10 year after year.

You missed the point. When will we ever be able to join a league that goes back to the good ol days of a true student athlete, i.e. no NIL, no under the table bidding for recruits, everyone playing fair. That öööö never happened to begin with. The fact we have some posters who think that was the status quo back in the day is mind boggling in its stupidity. Not to mention the fact that SCOTUS has certified NIL.

I guess we could find a league that wants to pursue the true student athlete. Good luck finding players that want to play for you though. Or any other teams that want to join your league.

h
You missed the point. When will we ever be able to join a league that goes back to the good ol days of a true student athlete, i.e. no NIL, no under the table bidding for recruits, everyone playing fair. That öööö never happened to begin with. The fact we have some posters who think that was the status quo back in the day is mind boggling in its stupidity. Not to mention the fact that SCOTUS has certified NIL.

I guess we could find a league that wants to pursue the true student athlete. Good luck finding players that want to play for you though. Or any other teams that want to join your league.

The thing is that everyone involved, including athletes (who pushed for and got NIL), has gotten much, much more efficient at extracting maximum value out of the enterprise of college football.

So while athletes were never truly students, and administrators/coaches were always in it for the money, they still adhered to certain rules and traditions, maybe just because of inertia. Conferences were reasonably small and regional, with their own identities. The Atlantic Coast Conference was comprised of teams on the Atlantic Coast who actually cared about academics. Maryland didn't fit in the Big X. Pitt and West Virginia played every year because they always played every year. It's just the way things were.

Over the past ten to twenty years there has been a rush to make money at the expense of everything else, and all of those things went by the wayside. That cat is out of the bag and there's likely no putting it back in. But the fact that there was always money and academic gamesanship involved in college football doesn't mean that things aren't meaningfully different now than they used to be.

Last edited:
Blaming Dodd for our current football situation has grown tiresome. If you want to blame him for the lack of success in the first twenty plus years after leaving the SEC I think that is fair. But, we have enjoyed some measures of success under Ross, O’Leary, Gailey and Johnson that make blaming losses on Dodd unfair. Might as well blame Heisman’s divorce as the real event that led to an eventual downward trajectory for Tech football.
Well said. It is easy to second guess any decision. But keep in mind during the years following Tech’s departure they played UGA, And Auburn every year, and Tennessee and Notre Dame almost every year. The only SEC teams which were basically dropped from the schedule were Kentucky and Vanderbilt. The SEC didn’t start controlling college football for almost 50 years from that time.
Tech’s football problems in the late60s-late 80s were spawned more from their own academic restrictions and those put on them by the UGA controlled Board of Regents.

I’m not pushing anything….if the SEC wants to secede from college football then so be it. Why do you think such a move will kill GT football?

Because it's going to hasten the contrast between SEC football and non-SEC football. Eventually it could basically be like the difference between the NCAA tourney and the NIT.

Because it's going to hasten the contrast between SEC football and non-SEC football. Eventually it could basically be like the difference between the NCAA tourney and the NIT.

The contrast exists now. I don’t like it, but circumstances make it what it is.

The contrast exists now. I don’t like it, but circumstances make it what it is.

The gulf is wide now, but there's at least some difference between having the cards stacked against you and being completely shut out of the game. That's what we'd be talking about with the SEC existing apart from the rest of college football.

The SEC is an embarrassment to the sport. Good riddance to them.
Honestly, the game that I grew up loving has become a joke with hired guns masquerading as “students”. With the NIL stuff, maybe they do need to just drop the premise of amateurism and have a pay structure. Actually, college football is now worse than the NFL…at least they have a salary cap.

Honestly, the game that I grew up loving has become a joke with hired guns masquerading as “students”. With the NIL stuff, maybe they do need to just drop the premise of amateurism and have a pay structure. Actually, college football is now worse than the NFL…at least they have a salary cap.
And a draft for college talent.

ESPN will not want the SEC in a separate league completely. Too many other eyeballs attached to all those other teams that won't make the cut. Other networks will pick up non-SEC contracts and will schedule against the SEC games hurting ESPN ratings. SEC will still want the ability to schedule the outsiders for rivalry and homecoming and opening game purposes so the leagues won't divorce unless the "others" refuse to schedule the SEC teams looking for warm up exhibitions.

Bowl games died years ago. You'd only need enough bowl games to host all the rounds of the SEC playoff.

If the SEC goes solo on football, the ACC, Big 10, PAC and Big 12 should form their own super league. It would have more interest nationwide than the SEC. It would also freeze the SEC out of the basketball tournaments and The College World Series. All is not lost. The SEC is overplaying its hand. If the other major conferences play this smart, the SEC will be the regional league in trouble.

Back