SEC Only Playoff

Many of you are so predictable with your thinking. If the SEC breaks away they won’t do it by themselves. Remember how they snaked Texas and Oklahoma and everyone acted shocked! (I wasn’t because the SEC is good at business).

If the SEC breaks away they’ll take a lot of teams with them and they will be the show. Everyone else will be at a lower level. And lower levels don’t get TV slots or media coverage. GT doesn’t get media coverage now. Wait till we are at level D1B. We see this with lower levels right now. A lot of good football is being played via streaming only. That will be GT and everyone else. Do you think ESPN will air GT vs. Wake or Tennessee vs. USC or Clemson vs. Ohio St?

If they break away all these so called academic schools will be done. Even if we are still D1 and the SEC starts another league no one will care about D1. The money, TV, and media coverage will leave D1. I’d still watch GT on whatever steaming service shows us but I’ll also still have my fall Saturday TV viewing of the real programs who care about having winning programs.

Honestly, the game that I grew up loving has become a joke with hired guns masquerading as “students”. With the NIL stuff, maybe they do need to just drop the premise of amateurism and have a pay structure. Actually, college football is now worse than the NFL…at least they have a salary cap.
The service academies were nationally relevant the last time hired guns weren't widely masquerading as students. Heck, they sort of were then - Army had the huge scandal in the 50's because the football team had to cheat to keep up.

They should at least be called athlete-students.

"The 1951 scandal primarily involved football players from one of Coach Earl ""Red"" Blaik's many powerhouse teams. After Blaik took possession of the Army football program in 1940, he began, according to Blackwell, to recruit players whose academic abilities were no match for their gridiron skills."

Many of you are so predictable with your thinking. If the SEC breaks away they won’t do it by themselves. Remember how they snaked Texas and Oklahoma and everyone acted shocked! (I wasn’t because the SEC is good at business).

If the SEC breaks away they’ll take a lot of teams with them and they will be the show. Everyone else will be at a lower level. And lower levels don’t get TV slots or media coverage. GT doesn’t get media coverage now. Wait till we are at level D1B. We see this with lower levels right now. A lot of good football is being played via streaming only. That will be GT and everyone else. Do you think ESPN will air GT vs. Wake or Tennessee vs. USC or Clemson vs. Ohio St?

If they break away all these so called academic schools will be done. Even if we are still D1 and the SEC starts another league no one will care about D1. The money, TV, and media coverage will leave D1. I’d still watch GT on whatever steaming service shows us but I’ll also still have my fall Saturday TV viewing of the real programs who care about having winning programs.
They won’t take USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, or Notre Dame. The SEC is an embarrassment and they are overplaying their hand. They will be a stupid regional sport.

They won’t take USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, or Notre Dame. The SEC is an embarrassment and they are overplaying their hand. They will be a stupid regional sport.

What makes you so sure of the first sentence?

The service academies were nationally relevant the last time hired guns weren't widely masquerading as students. Heck, they sort of were then - Army had the huge scandal in the 50's because the football team had to cheat to keep up.

They should at least be called athlete-students.

"The 1951 scandal primarily involved football players from one of Coach Earl ""Red"" Blaik's many powerhouse teams. After Blaik took possession of the Army football program in 1940, he began, according to Blackwell, to recruit players whose academic abilities were no match for their gridiron skills."
Every school has athletes who are not up to academic levels of other students. I am not talking about students who cheat, etc., I am talking about people who are virtually illiterate and can’t even put a coherent sentence together. I always laugh when, on the SEC 3:30 CBS game they show show each schools “scholar athlete of the week” and he has a 3.1 average in Parks and Recreation

What makes you so sure of the first sentence?
Because the B1G are proud. They won’t sell out to the SEC. We should have joined the B1G a long time ago. Michigan and Penn St. are good schools. Texas and Oklahoma were part of a dying conference.

Because the B1G are proud. They won’t sell out to the SEC. We should have joined the B1G a long time ago. Michigan and Penn St. are good schools. Texas and Oklahoma were part of a dying conference.
Has nothing to do with being a good school. They are both good schools who adapted to the changing times over the years so I give them credit. GT did not adapt which is why those programs are in tier 2 and we are bottom feeders. They have been cheating for decades as they should have. They just don’t have the player base to compete with the southern schools.

Regarding the future, none of us know. But the past 30 years definitely shows a trend and points to a direction of the top tiers breaking away and being financed and shoved down our throat just like the BCS was and now the playoff. I think you are naive to believe pride or some sense of loyalty will keep schools from allowing their football program to do something different. Remember, this is only football not all other sports. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State can easily leave the BIG in football and remain in every thing else. I’m sure you think the BIG will play hard ball and boot them in all sports. It won’t happen because those 3 schools are the BIG.

GT has enough. They have made that decision. If GT were willing to invest then they would be making the money that made the NCAA look the other way.

College FB as we knew it is as dead as phone booths, the triple option, Brylcream, and young ladies with public hair.

No more public hair? Hijab’s required? This may not be the end of college football, but it will surely be the end of the Alabama majorettes.

So basically we will go back to the early 1900's... the SEC will have it own National Champion, and then the Alliance will have it own champion, then the Big12 will have a champion, and then the G5 will have a champion. Just like they had back in the day CFRA, HAF, NCF, AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI.

I call BS! I can't see the CFP committee or the networks allowing a Natty for the SEC, The Alliance , BIG12 and G5. The SEC is just pissed that the Alliance blocked them when they were trying to run rough shot on everyone. the Big12 can thank the alliance for their leadership and allowing them time to stay alive as the SEC was trying to kill them and make them merge into the AAC.

Really this is simply the SEC wanting to be in charge of football superpowers forming their own group - instead of creating a new entity of supervision in which all members create a new governing body, the SEC is saying, "Let us be the organization in control." Saying they will run their own championship effectively kills a real national championship....unless....the top teams in the Big 10 say "let us in" and then the best teams in the ACC, Big 12 and PAC12 follow suit and the superpower group is created, but all under the direction of the SEC. They are saying, play ball with us in charge, or try to compete with us and good luck with that. I could see their sixteen schools adding schools, football only, very quickly if they follow through with this. I think they would aim for about 64 schools in the football SEC. Four groups of sixteen leading to a sixteen team playoff, four from each group, would be a cash cow.

Those left out would have to organize themselves to compete at a different and lower level. This level could still be interesting and entertaining football, but costs of operations would have to be reigned in to compete in tier 2. I doubt that any current P5 conference would want to take over this Tier 2 football. But, the other P5 conferences have to operate without football revenue if the SEC pulls this off.

Back