SEC Only Playoff

Really this is simply the SEC wanting to be in charge of football superpowers forming their own group - instead of creating a new entity of supervision in which all members create a new governing body, the SEC is saying, "Let us be the organization in control." Saying they will run their own championship effectively kills a real national championship....unless....the top teams in the Big 10 say "let us in" and then the best teams in the ACC, Big 12 and PAC12 follow suit and the superpower group is created, but all under the direction of the SEC. They are saying, play ball with us in charge, or try to compete with us and good luck with that. I could see their sixteen schools adding schools, football only, very quickly if they follow through with this. I think they would aim for about 64 schools in the football SEC. Four groups of sixteen leading to a sixteen team playoff, four from each group, would be a cash cow.

Those left out would have to organize themselves to compete at a different and lower level. This level could still be interesting and entertaining football, but costs of operations would have to be reigned in to compete in tier 2. I doubt that any current P5 conference would want to take over this Tier 2 football. But, the other P5 conferences have to operate without football revenue if the SEC pulls this off.
Again, I do not see this happening... The Alliance would add the Big12 and have a Natty. You are correct this is about the SEC being in control. They poached Texas and Oklahoma when they were suppose to being looking at CFP expansion, and also ESPN shortly after that gets the SEC game of the week. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the Alliance while they saved the BIG12, they also stalled CFP expansion so they could reupp their conf tv contracts and then allow the CFP expansion to be out for bid to all TV networks, not just extended by ESPN. This IMHO was a smart move, so CBS could just outbid ESPN/FOX/NBC for the new expanded CFP in 2026-27.

Again all this noise is the SEC throwing smoke, so when the CFP expansion happens as the alliance has all agreed it would they can act like they are the reason, and never owning up to having their hand in the cookie jar when they were suppose to only be meeting with folks about CFP expansion, instead they walked away with Texas and Oklahoma and a new ESPN contract and tried to help ESPN keep the CFP playoffs on ESPN without going to the open market which is good for every league.

Really this is simply the SEC wanting to be in charge of football superpowers forming their own group - instead of creating a new entity of supervision in which all members create a new governing body, the SEC is saying, "Let us be the organization in control." Saying they will run their own championship effectively kills a real national championship....unless....the top teams in the Big 10 say "let us in" and then the best teams in the ACC, Big 12 and PAC12 follow suit and the superpower group is created, but all under the direction of the SEC. They are saying, play ball with us in charge, or try to compete with us and good luck with that. I could see their sixteen schools adding schools, football only, very quickly if they follow through with this. I think they would aim for about 64 schools in the football SEC. Four groups of sixteen leading to a sixteen team playoff, four from each group, would be a cash cow.

Those left out would have to organize themselves to compete at a different and lower level. This level could still be interesting and entertaining football, but costs of operations would have to be reigned in to compete in tier 2. I doubt that any current P5 conference would want to take over this Tier 2 football. But, the other P5 conferences have to operate without football revenue if the SEC pulls this off.
The media and non-ESPN networks will hopefully fight this. You might even see the federal government jump in with laws to prevent this. There will be too much money lost by non-SEC schools.

About an SEC-only Playoff, which came to light in recent days, Sankey said that kind of discussion has fizzled out some since it was reported, and that it’s “still in a folder somewhere.” Sankey added that it “wasn’t created as a threat; wasn’t intended as a threat” in the event the CFP doesn’t expand to 12.

Back