Sims + Clayton

From the AJC:

"The outcomes for Clayton and Sims may have been the result of waiver guidelines that were adjusted after both had made decisions to transfer. In June of this year – Clayton decided to transfer in April, Sims in May – the NCAA changed its language on its guidelines for granting waivers."

=======================================================

Wait just a minute. You're telling me that Clayton and Sims both transferred with the understanding that they would be granted eligibility under the waiver guidelines at the time. Then the NCAA just changed the guidelines after the fact and denied them using the new guidelines?

What kind of horse öööö is that? Shouldn't they be grandfathered in under the old guidelines?

The primary mitigating factor in NCAA granting immediate eligibility - will letting this player play this season make us or our flagship programs money? Look at evidence from both Nike and Adidas reps regarding conversations over Zion and $$$. How hard would it have been for an investigative body to hold up his eligibility? There is no greater joke than the NCAA when it comes to impartial investigations and determinations. Never forget you can forfeit a conference championship over $250 in apparel arranged for one player to receive by a family member. You can commit egregious academic fraud over two decades and proudly keep up your national championship banners won by athletes staying eligible by taking classes they did not attend and being graded on work they did not do, with admissions of this scandal by some of the athletes themselves.

The thing with Clayton though is there is NO Div1 NCAA school within that 100 mile radius of his home. He moved to the closest one to home.

I went ahead and looked up distances. I didn't realize Auburn and FSU are ever so slightly closer but they are all about the same drive time. The point still stands that the only way he could get immediate eligibility under that rule is by transferring down to Valdosta State. Of course, transferring down, you are eligible anyway.

GT: 136 miles
Auburn: 121 miles
FSU: 130 miles
Georgia Southern: 137 miles

Clayton and Ezzard will never play a down for Georgia Tech. Both will declare for the draft after sitting out 2019. Someone will convince them that they are ready without another year of college coaching.

Clayton and Ezzard will never play a down for Georgia Tech. Both will declare for the draft after sitting out 2019. Someone will convince them that they are ready without another year of college coaching.
Clayton hasn't been able to put much on tape yet, and Ezzard is a true Sophomore (hey may redshirt and still be a freshman) with 1 game experience. Not sure how anybody can convice them to go to the NFL when the NFL hasn't seen anything from them.

I went ahead and looked up distances. I didn't realize Auburn and FSU are ever so slightly closer but they are all about the same drive time. The point still stands that the only way he could get immediate eligibility under that rule is by transferring down to Valdosta State. Of course, transferring down, you are eligible anyway.

GT: 136 miles
Auburn: 121 miles
FSU: 130 miles
Georgia Southern: 137 miles

The point still stands that he has moved as close to home as possible while still playing D1 football. All of these schools should satisfy the rule if the NCAA cares about the player and intent of the law more than the letter of it. I guess we will see how the appeal goes.

Clayton has 11 career tackles and one career sack. He will play his senior season at GT, get double digit sacks and then go to the NFL.

Clayton hasn't been able to put much on tape yet, and Ezzard is a true Sophomore (hey may redshirt and still be a freshman) with 1 game experience. Not sure how anybody can convice them to go to the NFL when the NFL hasn't seen anything from them.
I hope you are correct.

I know everyone loves to blame this on NCAA corruption and favoring high-profile schools/players. It seems to me that they deny most questionable cases across the board...let's be honest...every kid has some elderly relative or some excuse they can try to use, but it always seems to be kids that arent getting playing time that just have to transfer for those reasons...go figure.

I think what you can clearly see is that the kids getting questionable waivers are the ones making any sort of "legal grievance" against the school or coaching situation that could become any kind of lawsuit or news story, AND likely back it up with a legal team. NCAA does what they can to avoid trouble. That's it.

NCAA didn't want to touch Fields' racism claim with a 10 foot pole. His family almost certainly used lawyers to threaten a legal battle if he didn't get a waiver. Martel's family has money too and likely used lawyers and legal threats to get his waiver. There were some other players that lawyered up recently too and go a waiver. Claim the coaches lied to you, committed fraud, whatever, and back it with a strong legal team and you'll likely get the waiver.

I have no way of knowing if our guys used lawyers or not, but I doubt the average player has access to that kind of legal support, in general. The "sick relative" excuse isn't a direct grievance against the NCAA or the schools, so it seems like they don't bend on those rules too often.

TLDR; if you want a questionable waiver, lawyer up and threaten to raise hell and you'll probably get it.

I know everyone loves to blame this on NCAA corruption and favoring high-profile schools/players. It seems to me that they deny most questionable cases across the board...let's be honest...every kid has some elderly relative or some excuse they can try to use, but it always seems to be kids that arent getting playing time that just have to transfer for those reasons...go figure.

I think what you can clearly see is that the kids getting questionable waivers are the ones making any sort of "legal grievance" against the school or coaching situation that could become any kind of lawsuit or news story, AND likely back it up with a legal team. NCAA does what they can to avoid trouble. That's it.

NCAA didn't want to touch Fields' racism claim with a 10 foot pole. His family almost certainly used lawyers to threaten a legal battle if he didn't get a waiver. Martel's family has money too and likely used lawyers and legal threats to get his waiver. There were some other players that lawyered up recently too and go a waiver. Claim the coaches lied to you, committed fraud, whatever, and back it with a strong legal team and you'll likely get the waiver.

I have no way of knowing if our guys used lawyers or not, but I doubt the average player has access to that kind of legal support, in general. The "sick relative" excuse isn't a direct grievance against the NCAA or the schools, so it seems like they don't bend on those rules too often.

TLDR; if you want a questionable waiver, lawyer up and threaten to raise hell and you'll probably get it.

I believe this post is the truth. The reason "factories" seem to get their way is NOT because of their name. It's because they are swinging a big stick, as spelled out above.

I believe this post is the truth. The reason "factories" seem to get their way is NOT because of their name. It's because they are swinging a big stick, as spelled out above.
And they likely have fans working in the NCAA.

Back