So Dabo is selling Jesus....

Some of the people in favor of this would be singing a different tune if the whole team was having weekly mosque days instead of weekly church days.

Everything about Clemson is clown shoes.

Last time I was up there, 2010, I couldn't help but laugh at their 30 minute Pledge of Allegiance, America the Beautiful, Say a Prayer, National Anthem, Moment of Silence, etc pre-game routine, honor the softball team, checkers team, etc.

I'm patriotic and all and am not one of those 'ewww religion is bad' types, but the presentation of this just screamed unsophisticated, redneck "MOAR IS BETTR!!!" Perhaps this is fitting for Clemson. Their pre-game routine is the Shoney's buffet of college football.

That's awesome.

That's exactly what college football has become... a clown show. I can't imagine Bryant or Dodd sending their entire sideline out on the field to celebrate a TD. But Mark Richt did it, and he's one of the more respected coaches in the country. It's all about getting the brand name out there on social media and the news. Getting passed around on Twitter and Instagram is the goal.

How horrific.

Being sued by an atheist group from a state like Wisconsin :turbonoes:

The same state where the Legislature censured a decent man like Reggie White for exercising his 1st amendment rights.

öööö them.

Let me reword that.
If you don't believe in Jesus, don't go to a state school your taxes payed for.

How do Wisconsin taxes pay for a school in South Carolina, especially the football team?

How do Wisconsin taxes pay for a school in South Carolina, especially the football team?

Diseqc is saying that someone from South Carolina should be able to attend Clemson whether they buy into Dabo Swinney's brand of Gospel (this spot sponsored by Newspring Megachurch™) or not. Not because they "will learn to live" with it but because they paid for it.

A private organization in Wisconsin suing a public university in South Carolina has nothing to do with the taxes of either state. I know that no lawsuit has been filed and none may eventually be filed, but they can sue whoever they want.

When I played football I was pretty much forced to pray with the team just out of peer pressure. I never felt comfortable but never spoke up. I would just hold hands, close my eyes and look down quietly. By speaking up or doing my thing I felt like I would be a pork chop in a room full of wolves. Those Christians can get mighty ornery and start throwing labels on you like "atheist" just because you don't believe in praying or some magical angel is going to swoop down from the skies and make everything OK just because I asked him. Maybe other Clemson football players feel like this. I imagine it is hard to speak up when your coach is the one leading the charge. But then again Dabo is so overtly Christian if I was able to choose a college to play football it would not be Clemson, so maybe it cuts both ways.

Thanks for sharing that. /Thread.

What a difficult subject to try and get right. We are guaranteed freedom of religion and of speech, and we are a better nation for it. It is easy to go too far in suppressing these freedoms in the public square. How much does a teacher, coach, or elected official lose their right to freely express their faith simply because they are paid with tax dollars?

At the same time, government is not to establish religion. We have been better as a nation because we have resisted any temptation to have a state supported church. The question to ask when it comes to public officials expressing their faith is, can this be construed to be coercive? We have to be alert to our power as a teacher, coach, boss, or government leader. We can easily favor those who share our religious beliefs over those who do not. When a football coach leads prayers or other religious exercises he has to acknowledge the difficulty of a player standing up and saying he is uncomfortable with such expression of faith that may very different or even antithetical to his own religious/spiritual beliefs. That coach determines playing time and determines whose scholarship will be renewed.

To me, the key is for Christians (or members of any other faith) to recognize that when they hold authority in any situation, they can use that power to coerce or manipulate. And, we need to realize that any coerced or manipulated faith will always be a cheap imitation of the real thing, a faith that has been embraced freely and in good conscience.

I don't think Dabo Swinney, or any coach or teacher or leader should be muzzled when it comes to faith. There is nothing wrong with a player knowing his coach, or a student knowing her teacher, or citizens knowing their government official is a person of faith and that their faith is of the utmost importance to them. But, those coaches, teachers and officials in authority must also recognize their position and the power that comes with it and avoid any group activities that they initiate and lead that would be very difficult for those they lead to oppose or ignore.

Dabo, be the strong Christian man you are and let your witness make a difference to young men. But, let your players determine what religious activities they want to participate in as a team or as individuals, if any, and let them lead the way. And, make sure that the kids who play for you will be respected and their freedoms protected, no matter what faith or lack of faith they may display.

77 you pretty much hit the nail on the head on this subject.[/QUOTE
Well written 77. This Republic protects the rights of the minority but is fast becoming one that is controlled by the minority. Dictatorships are controlled by the minority.

See the movie "God is Not Dead" to see the potential for abuse of authority, by anyone with authority over others, whatever the setting maybe.

77 you pretty much hit the nail on the head on this subject.[/QUOTE
Well written 77. This Republic protects the rights of the minority but is fast becoming one that is controlled by the minority. Dictatorships are controlled by the minority.

See the movie "God is Not Dead" to see the potential for abuse of authority, by anyone with authority over others, whatever the setting maybe.
You need to read Robert Michel's "Political Parties" (the iron law of oligarchy) stat ...
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Diseqc is saying that someone from South Carolina should be able to attend Clemson whether they buy into Dabo Swinney's brand of Gospel (this spot sponsored by Newspring Megachurch™) or not. Not because they "will learn to live" with it but because they paid for it.

A private organization in Wisconsin suing a public university in South Carolina has nothing to do with the taxes of either state. I know that no lawsuit has been filed and none may eventually be filed, but they can sue whoever they want.

You may want to pick up a copy of the Rules of Civil Procedure. If they sue and a judge finds the suit frivolous the attorney can get him/herself in some seriously hot water. Fines and disbarment coming their way.

Back