Some fans don’t want to see progress — Geoff Collins

I fully support Collins and really think you "fans" need to look in the mirror. Like many intelligent Tech students, you enjoy the (challenge of the) conflict more than simply supporting your team. These traits are exactly why we struggle to get any local attention anymore.

The team is clearly better than the first two years, but things have not gone well for us yet. But look at issues such as DT recruiting this year. We have rarely been able to get big talented guys like that, we've often had to grow them up. I think OL depth is the concerning issue of the future and hopefully it can be addressed via the portal.

You need to let this pass and give them another year or two to demonstrate winning with their players. To tear down the program so soon in a complete rebuild ("very few of these players would play for a Div 1 team") is doing us no favors.

For me, we competed much better at Miami than Pitt, UVA, VPI. I'd like to see the W more often but I think it's coming.

I fully support Collins and really think you "fans" need to look in the mirror. Like many intelligent Tech students, you enjoy the (challenge of the) conflict more than simply supporting your team. These traits are exactly why we struggle to get any local attention anymore.

The team is clearly better than the first two years, but things have not gone well for us yet. But look at issues such as DT recruiting this year. We have rarely been able to get big talented guys like that, we've often had to grow them up. I think OL depth is the concerning issue of the future and hopefully it can be addressed via the portal.

You need to let this pass and give them another year or two to demonstrate winning with their players. To tear down the program so soon in a complete rebuild ("very few of these players would play for a Div 1 team") is doing us no favors.

For me, we competed much better at Miami than Pitt, UVA, VPI. I'd like to see the W more often but I think it's coming.

I find it really hard to support this coach when his defense is giving up 563 total yards of offense....He is a defensive coach and to me that is inexcusable and I’m actually going to be mad if someone isn’t fired at the end of this season.

I also find it interesting that people support this coach whose secondary just let a WR get over 200 yards..He is known for coaching DBs up! WTH???

In my eyes we need a new coach to undertake a massive rebuild of our defense..Post Geoff Collins.
(not offense like everyone wants to give him time for).

Can anyone explain to me why another coach would not win? Why should we endure 3-5 wins season for the next four years?

Last edited:
I find it really hard to support this coach when his defense is giving up 563 total yards of offense....He is a defensive coach and to me that is inexcusable and I’m actually going to be mad if someone isn’t fired at the end of this season.

I also find it interesting that people support this coach whose secondary just let a WR get over 200 yards..He is known for coaching DBs up! WTH???

In my eyes we need a new coach to undertake a massive rebuild of our defense..Post Geoff Collins.
(not offense like everyone wants to give him time for).

Can anyone explain to me why another coach would not win? Why should we endure 3-5 wins season for the next four years?
Can you explain to me who would want this job if we fire him now? Derek Dooley, maybe?

I can simply choose not to talk about the fact Geoff Collins is now 9-22 in his tenure here. Collins doesn’t want to talk about it either, and that, on its own, is a problem. How he responded to questions on this team’s performance at Saturday’s postgame conference is what really concerns me.

Early on in the press conference — actually, it was part of the answer to the very first question — Collins got on reporter Kelly Quinlan for “harp[ing] on the things that go wrong” and not giving enough credit to the things that went well. He later offered the two fourth down stops Georgia Tech made as an example, and lamented how “[people] don’t seem to want to talk about those things.” I can’t believe I have to explain this to someone who’s been a head coach in college football for almost five years now, but: no one wants to talk about the fourth down stops that didn’t win you the game. Especially not in a game where you were outgained by 234 yards. This was an extremely close final score. A couple plays going the other way would have made the difference and given Georgia Tech the victory in a game where they were vastly outplayed. Then, sure, we could have talked about those plays, and the fourth down stops, and who knows what else, and the impact they had. But that didn’t happen, and here we are.

Later on, when asked his feelings on being on the wrong end of so many close losses, Collins talked about his last job and how Georgia Tech is “really, really close” to getting over the hump. These are not reassurances from someone who has real solutions. They are lashings out from someone who is utterly defeated and has nothing left to offer.

This, to me, marks what I feel like is the point of no return for Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech. Openly whining about people being too negative on the state of your program when you are 9-22 is a bad look. Deflecting by bringing up something you did at a previous school — something which may not stand up to scrutiny — is pathetic. Talking about how much your players “battled” over, and over, and over again, after having lost three straight games, and being on course to finish the season 0-6, is just..... sad. Among all the miserable on-field results we’ve endured over the past 2.75 seasons, this feels like the thing Collins simply and truly cannot come back from. It is theoretically possible for him to do so. But the requirements on the path are far higher than what he has shown himself to be capable of at this point in time.

Of course, Collins is likely not going anywhere for now. There’s still a lot of money left in his contract, and terminating it now would put a financial constraint on the athletic department Todd Stansbury surely does not want. I think Joey Weaver's prediction after week one ( he is shown the door after next season) feels like the most likely outcome right now. That leaves fifteen more games with Collins on the sidelines, after which, well, hopefully something will have changed.

You chose not to talk about it?!?!

It’s all you’ve talked about.

Like it or not, once the media turns on you it's the beginning of the end. For the record, I hate the media. Fake News and BS. However, we all know the sports world is dominated by pointy headed beta males and bitchy females with an opinion. And once they lock into an opinion, they don't let go. Collins came in doing cartwheels, as did these other "high energy" guys like that goofball at Indiana and Pee Wee Herman at Minnesota. They, like Collins, try to ride a given game here or there to make the case "it is working". Over time, it is laughable and irritating. In Collins case, he wants all the good from media - new logos, waffle house cup, different t shirt every day with another relevant rapper, all that BS. He wants none of it when the media fail to sing his narrative. That also wasn't a good look when the did his jig with Narduzzi last year, and made the excuse he was going to celebrate with his team. His team just lost, so I don't think that excuse looked good. Like it or not, the "media" in this state, like almost everything else is Bulldog butt homers. They get their jollies (Mark Bradley) by dropping in statistical laughers (see timeline of when Paul Johnson's honeymoon ran out and when he departed). The best thing Collins could have done is just dropped in some of the usual tired cliches - "we didn't get it done and that's on me", "our performance wasn't acceptable", "our fans deserve better" and get back to coaching.

Really? Who is going to want it say in a year or two years after a few more 3-5 wins seasons and the recruiting Buzz gone?
Recruiting Buzz, our current recruiting class, and probably Sims, Gibbs, Ivey, Biggers.....probably leave if you get your firing wish right now.

Of course, your 2* triple option 6' 275 lb OL and DL are always available for Bohannon or Monken when you morons excitedly make us Kennesaw State

Recruiting Buzz, our current recruiting class, and probably Sims, Gibbs, Ivey, Biggers.....probably leave if you get your firing wish right now.

Of course, your 2* triple option 6' 275 lb OL and DL are always available for Bohannon or Monken when you morons excitedly make us Kennesaw State
What makes you think they will leave? Sure if Johnson came back they would probably bolt but if the right coach came in they might be happier. Unless you know them you could just as easily say they are gone if Collins comes back.

There's no way to fire Collins this year. Between the money and all the open positions this year, the timing isn't right even if they wanted to.

Hopefully we see some staff changes in the off-season, big improvement on the field next season and recruiting takes off from there.

What makes you think they will leave? Sure if Johnson came back they would probably bolt but if the right coach came in they might be happier. Unless you know them you could just as easily say they are gone if Collins comes back.

There's no way to fire Collins this year. Between the money and all the open positions this year, the timing isn't right even if they wanted to.

Hopefully we see some staff changes in the off-season, big improvement on the field next season and recruiting takes off from there.

"Hopefully"

I have hope in the things that truly matter in life. My hope for this program under this leadership has taken it on the chin, but it got back up. Then it got hit with knuckles on, and it got back up. But the last few weeks it has been bludgeoned to death with a car battery.

I don't think Collins understands why so many fans are pissed off.

Its not that we have 3 wins because we have 3-win talent. Its that we have 6-win talent with 3-win coaching ability.

Which “right coach” will we convince to come here. Need a name.

I'm a Collins disapprover but I think this particular quote is much ado about nothing. He was directly asked a question about the important of improving on the win total; of course he is going to give an answer that focuses on the fact that we have improved even though the win total doesn't show it.

And it is true. Anyone who doesn't think we have improved either doesn't want to see it or doesn't remember the past two seasons. We've cleaned up penalties, we've putting up points, we're playing teams close -- all things that we really didn't see much of the past two years.

Again, I don't think we're where we should be, and I'm disappointed that we've again put out what I see as a poorly coached team (cue @PressManCoverage ), but we have been getting better. It would benefit the fans talking about how the program is close to dead to realize that.

I don't think Collins understands why so many fans are pissed off.

Its not that we have 3 wins because we have 3-win talent. Its that we have 6-win talent with 3-win coaching ability.
This. Exactly why I’m down on Collins. It’s clear we have the ability to win and have similar talent to a lot of our competition. The coaching just isn’t there though. Especially with our DB’s who have only consistently gotten worse since he’s been here. We still have juniors and seniors playing out of position, making horrible attempts at tackling, and just overall looking confused.

I knew it was over when we lost to NIU, then he had the head tilt presser thing where he felt offended or incredulous that someone in the media could question him, now he’s fighting the fanbase through the AJC. This is all happening in the same season. Talk about a quick unraveling for the coach. Maybe his process will turn a corner next year and he can do his “I told you so” presser every week. Right now, it looks more like a firing.

If I were tStan, I wouldn't fire him. We need to finish off this recruiting class then replace the defensive staff. I think we should get rid of Key or Patenaud - either one seems good on his own but it doesn't look like they work well together. Maybe drop Key's large salary and add a normal OL coach and get a damn QB coach in here.

If I were tStan, I wouldn't fire him. We need to finish off this recruiting class then replace the defensive staff. I think we should get rid of Key or Patenaud - either one seems good on his own but it doesn't look like they work well together. Maybe drop Key's large salary and add a normal OL coach and get a damn QB coach in here.

He definitely gets another year, but I expect he will be told to make changes on the staff. The problem we're going to have is finding a DC who wants to wade into what might be a 1-year situation.

He definitely gets another year, but I expect he will be told to make changes on the staff. The problem we're going to have is finding a DC who wants to wade into what might be a 1-year situation.

Probably better to make deep staff changes and guarantee two years.

Back