Some fans don’t want to see progress — Geoff Collins

Again, I don't think we're where we should be, and I'm disappointed that we've again put out what I see as a poorly coached team (cue @PressManCoverage ), but we have been getting better. It would benefit the fans talking about how the program is close to dead to realize that.

The talent level is clearly better than it was in 2019, but there has been no improvement (and you could probably argue even regression) in terms of the coaching of that talent.

He definitely gets another year, but I expect he will be told to make changes on the staff. The problem we're going to have is finding a DC who wants to wade into what might be a 1-year situation.
I'm actually more worried that Collins will refuse to make any staff changes of his own volition. Assuming he does, I think a competent DC would take the job - good offense on the other side and a lot of young talent. I'll be surprised if it happens but for a different reason.

What I'm clinging to is a potential parallel with what Bobby Ross went through when he came to Tech. I remember Coach Ross stumbling and bumbling through press interviews & rubber chicken dinners in the community. He had the belief that he could turn things around in the near future. It didn't instill confidence in me. Heck, I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't think we had a chance. I was thinking of who we could next get to coach the team. But Coach Ross believed. He knew that his team was getting better and would be better.

Coach Ross was not a dynamic speaker. And the more he spoke after continually losing, the more hopeless it felt. When you talk after losses, there isn't much good you can say. You've got to speak-- it's the nature of the profession, but it rarely helps you. We were 0-3 in 1989 after coming off two horrible seasons under Coach Ross. We were young, and seemingly outmatched in every game. Then, it clicked. Finished that season 7-1 and en route to the fricking National Championship the next year.

While that may be the most miraculous turnaround in college football history, it happened here. I don't expect it, but I can't say that it couldn't happen.

I do expect this team to turn the corner. I hope that the entire program is honest in their assessments this off season. There are some things that are not getting better that are clearly hurting us repeatedly. There's only so much you can do in season with the types of problems we are having. But this off-season is really vital. This team needs a wake up call. A kick in the ass. Some different voices. Leaders emerging. Strength and Conditioning. Everything. Here's to hoping that it clicks.

-THWG

What I'm clinging to is a potential parallel with what Bobby Ross went through when he came to Tech. I remember Coach Ross stumbling and bumbling through press interviews & rubber chicken dinners in the community. He had the belief that he could turn things around in the near future. It didn't instill confidence in me. Heck, I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't think we had a chance. I was thinking of who we could next get to coach the team. But Coach Ross believed. He knew that his team was getting better and would be better.

Coach Ross was not a dynamic speaker. And the more he spoke after continually losing, the more hopeless it felt. When you talk after losses, there isn't much good you can say. You've got to speak-- it's the nature of the profession, but it rarely helps you. We were 0-3 in 1989 after coming off two horrible seasons under Coach Ross. We were young, and seemingly outmatched in every game. Then, it clicked. Finished that season 7-1 and en route to the fricking National Championship the next year.

While that may be the most miraculous turnaround in college football history, it happened here. I don't expect it, but I can't say that it couldn't happen.

I do expect this team to turn the corner. I hope that the entire program is honest in their assessments this off season. There are some things that are not getting better that are clearly hurting us repeatedly. There's only so much you can do in season with the types of problems we are having. But this off-season is really vital. This team needs a wake up call. A kick in the ass. Some different voices. Leaders emerging. Strength and Conditioning. Everything. Here's to hoping that it clicks.

-THWG
Bobby Ross was a 3x ACC champion coach and 2x ACC Coach of the Year before he stepped foot onto GT.

For the love of God everyone, stop comparing Geoff Collins to Bobby Ross.

I fully support Collins and really think you "fans" need to look in the mirror. Like many intelligent Tech students, you enjoy the (challenge of the) conflict more than simply supporting your team. These traits are exactly why we struggle to get any local attention anymore.

The team is clearly better than the first two years, but things have not gone well for us yet. But look at issues such as DT recruiting this year. We have rarely been able to get big talented guys like that, we've often had to grow them up. I think OL depth is the concerning issue of the future and hopefully it can be addressed via the portal.

You need to let this pass and give them another year or two to demonstrate winning with their players. To tear down the program so soon in a complete rebuild ("very few of these players would play for a Div 1 team") is doing us no favors.

For me, we competed much better at Miami than Pitt, UVA, VPI. I'd like to see the W more often but I think it's coming.
Whatever. The good thing about football (or any sport) is that success or failure can be evaluated in the most simple and clear terms - wins or losses. We are 9-22...

Insulting the Ga Tech fanbase is one helluva strategy
. "Hubris" .
Collins_smirk.gif

-THWG
5DF3987A-6D9A-46B5-8848-31082904E61C.jpeg

It's a fascinating mental gymnastics game to watch Stingtalk both simultaneously admit Geoff Collins sucks at maximizing the talent he has, while also claiming 3-9s were inevitable for whomever took over.

It's equally fascinating watching the revisionist history of people trying to pretend that Dook was suddenly a MegaPower team and that our program was headed for more 10-win+ seasons under the previous guy if only he hadn't quit been fired.

It's a fascinating mental gymnastics game to watch Stingtalk both simultaneously admit Geoff Collins sucks at maximizing the talent he has, while also claiming 3-9s were inevitable for whomever took over.

I think 3-9 was inevitable. In 2019. The offensive line was in the throes of a huge recruiting gap that even CPJ would have had to contend with. I've been the biggest advocate of not judging the OL until this year, maybe even next. (Given we picked up two supersensiors who're now starting via the portal, I hoped to see more by now, but I digress).

The defense, however, has regressed more than the offense has progressed. There has been more than enough time to improve beyond a 3-win season, but here we are getting berated for not being happy someone broke 20 mph at practice. It's 100% consistent and fair to give a pass in 2019 and expect more wins by now.

I think 3-9 was inevitable. In 2019.

There has been more than enough time to improve beyond a 3-win season, but here we are getting berated for not being happy someone broke 20 mph at practice.
elite speed

It's equally fascinating watching the revisionist history of people trying to pretend that Dook was suddenly a MegaPower team and that our program was headed for more 10-win+ seasons under the previous guy if only he hadn't quit been fired.

No one is saying Duke had become a mega power, just that they weren’t Duke of old. They were more like they pulled themselves up to NCSt level. Still no excuse for a 1-4 span.

Really it doesn’t matter for the majority of the games who the HC is unless that HC is also a DC or OC. Geoff’s tenure will be defined by his ability to adapt and make the necessary changes in his staff. The reason some of us fans don’t see progress is because at year 3 you’re still sitting at 3 wins and everything you say suggests that you’re unwilling to adapt at the expense of your ego. That’s the problem. Trust me we would all rather you get your öööö together and start winning games and not lecture us on how to be a fan.

Back