Some fans don’t want to see progress — Geoff Collins

Is Dixon the WR Coach, most of his Guys do well on Game Days, plus we're Recruiting better WRs, so why should Dixon go?

He is the WR Coach, right?

Yes. Until Adonicas Sanders got tired of being no-called on PI by the refs on the last drive in Durham, I'd say the WR corp was at best quiet and underwhelming. There have been a *LOT* of costly drops. It isn't the epidemic it was in the NIU game, but it is still happening. Presumably the GTAA can afford, owns, and operates a Jugs machine. It just needs to be used.

We beat ND and BC, due to pedestrian QBs those 2 Teams were always gonna be better matchups for us than Pitt, UVA, or even VaTech (I still think with more focused Def & better OLine play we beat those guys).

Get ready for a 2 Game win streak fellas, speak it into existence!
we turned an unknown ginger into a HOFamer
1636562066041.png

We beat ND and BC, due to pedestrian QBs those 2 Teams were always gonna be better matchups for us than Pitt, UVA, or even VaTech (I still think with more focused Def & better OLine play we beat those guys).

Get ready for a 2 Game win streak fellas, speak it into existence!
I will make you a bet that we don't beat ND.

I'm a Collins disapprover but I think this particular quote is much ado about nothing. He was directly asked a question about the important of improving on the win total; of course he is going to give an answer that focuses on the fact that we have improved even though the win total doesn't show it.

And it is true. Anyone who doesn't think we have improved either doesn't want to see it or doesn't remember the past two seasons. We've cleaned up penalties, we've putting up points, we're playing teams close -- all things that we really didn't see much of the past two years.

Again, I don't think we're where we should be, and I'm disappointed that we've again put out what I see as a poorly coached team (cue @PressManCoverage ), but we have been getting better. It would benefit the fans talking about how the program is close to dead to realize that.
Best write-up of the situation by far. I am not pleased with where we are, and I have not been a huge fan of Collins' brand. I think the average fan will admit that we have made improvements, but many (myself included) feel they have not happened quickly enough. We're all doing our best to project the next two years and make decisions now to improve that situation. While I'm not happy and was actually a huge option fan, I think we've made our bed with this situation and need to let it pan out at least one more year. Improved OL play (through both increased time with young talent and getting back key players from injury) would have been worth another win or two this year. "Staying the course" probably does get us a few extra wins next year. The big question is, "Is there a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow, or just a path to a 7-win ceiling?"

Yes. Until Adonicas Sanders got tired of being no-called on PI by the refs on the last drive in Durham, I'd say the WR corp was at best quiet and underwhelming. There have been a *LOT* of costly drops. It isn't the epidemic it was in the NIU game, but it is still happening. Presumably the GTAA can afford, owns, and operates a Jugs machine. It just needs to be used.
OK, fair enough.

I had already singled out a particular WR , and didn't want to do that anymore, because posters around here that love singling out Sims, seem to hate it when you single out any other position.

I guess those that like singling out Sims don't realize that this isn't like the NFL where the QB takes up 10 to 20% of the Salary Cap, in College they all get the same Scholarship. (not directed at you BTW)

But for some reason Sims is fair game for any criticism, and gets compared to Drew Brees & other NFL QBs, but it is unfair to ask an OLineman to just give me a stalemate half the time and our elite skill players will avg 40pts per game.

I'm only asking for stalemates from our OLine, just half the time.

THE FULL RESPONSE
"I think the team that you see out there competing every single week, uhhh... We've grown, we've developed. I think it's obvious the growth and development in this program. If you can't see how much we've grown, how much we've developed... you don't want to see it. Right? So, they're getting better, they're competing. We have to find a way to win these close games. We want to win every game. Ummm... and obvisously having Boston College, a really good ACC opponent coming into town, the focus is to go play the game the right way, win the game. That is the focus, but we understand that they are a really good team. They have those same motives as well. How do we make sure we can control what we can control, and play at a high level and execute against a good opponent."

He's not wrong in that we're much more competitive in more games than we've been in his first two seasons. Fans want their team to win. He's in a tough spot, in that the only reaslistic win left on the schedule is BC. So almost no chance he can finish the year with momentum heading into 2022 (unless we pull a miracle against Notre Dame... UGA just ain't happening). I'm very much torn on what I want to see as a fan. Part of me wants to run it back in 2022 in hopes that we really are on the cusp of winning these close games, whereas part of me is mad at coach and wants some heads to roll for the deficiencies that continue after 3 years of coaching from this regime.

I agree with him and I've said as much all weekend after the game. We have improved and we are better.

But, I think it is fair to question if we are "better enough" at this juncture and as I said earlier ITT it is a really bad look to be calling out people who you think "don't want to see it." He is correct that there are people that don't want to see it, but why stoop to their level of stupidity? Gotta stay above the fray.

Betting against your own team is bad form. Announcing it is even worse.

But on the main topic . . . why would a fan of Georgia Tech football not WANT to see improvement? Maybe they just see things differently than you. I'm generally pretty results oriented. Improvement to me = winning more games. I don't give two öööös for "competing." You're SUPPOSED to compete, you low expectation-having mother ööööer. Win.

Betting against your own team is bad form. Announcing it is even worse.
It is. Which is why last year, when I won bets about how bad we'd be, I had my winnings instead sent to the ECE as a donation to the school. I don't want to profit off our school being a dumpster fire.

Also, Wrecks or PressMan or whatever username he's going by these days won't take me up on a bet, cause he's a clown too.

What I'm clinging to is a potential parallel with what Bobby Ross went through when he came to Tech. I remember Coach Ross stumbling and bumbling through press interviews & rubber chicken dinners in the community. He had the belief that he could turn things around in the near future. It didn't instill confidence in me. Heck, I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't think we had a chance. I was thinking of who we could next get to coach the team. But Coach Ross believed. He knew that his team was getting better and would be better.

Coach Ross was not a dynamic speaker. And the more he spoke after continually losing, the more hopeless it felt. When you talk after losses, there isn't much good you can say. You've got to speak-- it's the nature of the profession, but it rarely helps you. We were 0-3 in 1989 after coming off two horrible seasons under Coach Ross. We were young, and seemingly outmatched in every game. Then, it clicked. Finished that season 7-1 and en route to the fricking National Championship the next year.

While that may be the most miraculous turnaround in college football history, it happened here. I don't expect it, but I can't say that it couldn't happen.

I do expect this team to turn the corner. I hope that the entire program is honest in their assessments this off season. There are some things that are not getting better that are clearly hurting us repeatedly. There's only so much you can do in season with the types of problems we are having. But this off-season is really vital. This team needs a wake up call. A kick in the ass. Some different voices. Leaders emerging. Strength and Conditioning. Everything. Here's to hoping that it clicks.

-THWG
Hopefully Coach Choice is the one doing it!!

Why don't you think ND is beatable, their weakness is elite Athletes in space, and that's why they get exposed vs Bama & Clemson in the playoffs.

We have 3 in Gibbs, Mason, & Sims, so I think we can gash them on big plays, I'm not expecting 10 play drives , we don't have the OLine for that.

Their Offense this yr isn't good enough to leave us in the dust, hopefully we won't bust coverages, but we can Stay close, not have to be 1 dimensional, and can score late and win.

You'll be bumping this comment in 12 days, I promise you.

Why don't you think ND is beatable, their weakness is elite Athletes in space, and that's why they get exposed vs Bama & Clemson in the playoffs.

We have 3 in Gibbs, Mason, & Sims, so I think we can gash them on big plays, I'm not expecting 10 play drives , we don't have the OLine for that.

Their Offense this yr isn't good enough to leave us in the dust, hopefully we won't bust coverages, but we can Stay close, not have to be 1 dimensional, and can score late and win.

You'll be bumping this comment in 12 days, I promise you.
So, you're not willing to take that bet.

It is. Which is why last year, when I won bets about how bad we'd be, I had my winnings instead sent to the ECE as a donation to the school. I don't want to profit off our school being a dumpster fire.

Also, Wrecks or PressMan or whatever username he's going by these days won't take me up on a bet, cause he's a clown too.
Thanks for the extra info. I still don't like betting against my team, but I can't really criticize you because of how you handle it . . . in fact, kudos.

Collins’ starting point for improvement was the worst team ever. It is a departure from reality and an insult to every player from 2017 on. The fans’ starting point for his improvement is bowl games and top half of the division. There’s the problem right there.

In addition if we lose this BC game…we will likely end up exactly where we have ended up in every year of Collins tenure.

eff you jerk or whatever your name is

I agree with him and I've said as much all weekend after the game. We have improved and we are better.

But, I think it is fair to question if we are "better enough" at this juncture and as I said earlier ITT it is a really bad look to be calling out people who you think "don't want to see it." He is correct that there are people that don't want to see it, but why stoop to their level of stupidity? Gotta stay above the fray.
This is where I am as well, and I came here to post as such, but you beat me to it. He's not wrong in his assessment, but he can't say that out loud. If your fans aren't willing to see the progress, they're more than likely looking for every possible negative instead (cough..a lot of Stingtalkers...cough), and he just gave them more ammo.

If it's already this angsty before Jurkovic works over the GT secondary, what brave new worlds are we headed to in the next three weeks? The next three weeks will be a hyperbolic curve of anger and frustration not seen since Gailey lost to hapless Duke and put up the 51-7 blight.

The fanbase gave Collins his "Gailey DUI PSA" shot across the bow in the NIU game. It's only gotten nastier since. The stadium is now mostly empty for home games. I just don't see how Collins can't offer sacrificial coaches to try to stem the tide.... because he damn sure isn't going to be able to offer any more wins this season. If no staff changes are made, it may be all-in for the whole staff next year.

Back