Square Peg Round Hole

johncu

Dodd-Like
It's less a disagreement over whether the offense is (really) bad or not and more a disagreement on why.
And that's a fair point to disagree on. Personally I think our performance has been significantly worse than our talent would suggest, but it's gonna be a while before we know the truth. In the meantime, all we can hope for is consistent improvement. We'll face another pretty good defense next week, but then we'll have two opponents that we should be able to score on. If we can find a way to hit on some short passes to spread the defense horizontally, I think we'd have a lot more success running the ball.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
And that's a fair point to disagree on. Personally I think our performance has been significantly worse than our talent would suggest, but it's gonna be a while before we know the truth. In the meantime, all we can hope for is consistent improvement. We'll face another pretty good defense next week, but then we'll have two opponents that we should be able to score on. If we can find a way to hit on some short passes to spread the defense horizontally, I think we'd have a lot more success running the ball.
Even swing passes and sweeps would help. We kept most everything inside against Pitt and got beat.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Even swing passes and sweeps would help. We kept most everything inside against Pitt and got beat.
We ran a couple jet sweeps that didn't work. We didn't have any swing passes but we did have several quick outs that I distinctly remember James throwing at receivers feet or over their heads, and Lucas completed about 3 of them. James just had a bad day throwing the ball, Lucas came in and was throwing it well then got hurt. The plays were called just not executed.

malak05

Varsity Lurker
I agree with this we really forced the inside run and it wasn't there all day our biggest runs came off outside edge rushing plays and forcing Pitt to go sideline to sideline but we just didn't every focus on it? That was sorta frustrating to watch repeat over and over and a QB rushing every pass and missing poorly.

-Peanut runs no RB screens whatsoever with that pass rush catching them on occasions could be big gains
-Peanut barely ran any type of bubble screens or anything to simulate runs and attempting to net 3-5 yard gains in early drives.
-Peanut barely ran outside and perhaps tried to force Mason a little too much up middle and not getting in Dontae Smith or Griffin who may have been better suited to attacking in outside runs.

So the best game so far called by Peanut was a game of which it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that we were killing interior of Miami on inside running and just keep doing it... but in a game with early QB struggles and general running he just seemingly crapped bed didn't have much for adjustments outside of putting a new QB which X & Os didn't make much change. It was not a good game by really most offensive guys but I think the Oline on pass blocking did admirable for the fact of who they were facing and who they are at end of the day themselves. I saw several times a good pocket and a open guy missed terribly or a guy wide open but ball forced to another. They didn't get any favors in play calling, QB play in regards to passing... they got handled on the run offense but again I feel better results were to be had on the outside. So Peanut still not very promising at this point to me.

malak05

Varsity Lurker
We ran a couple jet sweeps that didn't work. We didn't have any swing passes but we did have several quick outs that I distinctly remember James throwing at receivers feet or over their heads, and Lucas completed about 3 of them. James just had a bad day throwing the ball, Lucas came in and was throwing it well then got hurt. The plays were called just not executed.
Mason longest run was on a sweep but not every outside run has to be a sweep a outside zone, hb pitch these are all things peanut has in his pocket that we didn't try much of and addtionally one thing he doesn't have is apparently a screen pass to HB of course Graham probably would've thrown the ball in the stands

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Mason longest run was on a sweep but not every outside run has to be a sweep a outside zone, hb pitch these are all things peanut has in his pocket that we didn't try much of and addtionally one thing he doesn't have is apparently a screen pass to HB of course Graham probably would've thrown the ball in the stands
That was a zone read that Mason stretched out like a sweep because the DE got penetration.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
How soon we forget. Maybe after Graham missed his first pass (oh wait, receiver dropped a perfectly thrown ball), it might have gotten in his head a bit. The foot steps get louder, and the pocket gets less comfortable, if there is any comfort in the first place. Graham didn't have a good game, and his running game support was less than fair. If nothing is working, you keep trying things until something does work. It's not like JMason is a burner on the outside in the open field. You have to play within the confines of your offense. i can't tell you how many times OLinemen didn't finish blocks, or they were turned around facing the backfield on plays that had not been blown dead. The Pitt D wasn't shabby , and I'd guess that we were trying everything that we thought would work.

Despite all the offensive shortcomings, we were a foot away from possibly tying the game up in the 4th qtr, but it didn't work out. We failed to execute basic ball protection which effectively cost us the game. Learn and move on.

malak05

Varsity Lurker
How soon we forget. Maybe after Graham missed his first pass (oh wait, receiver dropped a perfectly thrown ball), it might have gotten in his head a bit. The foot steps get louder, and the pocket gets less comfortable, if there is any comfort in the first place. Graham didn't have a good game, and his running game support was less than fair. If nothing is working, you keep trying things until something does work. It's not like JMason is a burner on the outside in the open field. You have to play within the confines of your offense. i can't tell you how many times OLinemen didn't finish blocks, or they were turned around facing the backfield on plays that had not been blown dead. The Pitt D wasn't shabby , and I'd guess that we were trying everything that we thought would work.

Despite all the offensive shortcomings, we were a foot away from possibly tying the game up in the 4th qtr, but it didn't work out. We failed to execute basic ball protection which effectively cost us the game. Learn and move on.
Pitt's offense wasn't a barn burner but once again our Defense played solid made plays... gave up a few big plays happens with a young defense but overall happy with the overall growth. We still got issues at LB with Curry overall play in the middle and no pass rush at times. The offense is still very frustrating the first pass definitely was a well delivered ball and should never been dropped. This is coming from a guy who was yelling for Graham to start early on he does have some issues we've seen enough of him this year he has a good bit of inconsistency delivering in the short to intermediate ranges anything 25+ yards he seems to actually deliver pretty well but short passing he definitely has had a trend of delivering poorly in that range. That will kill you against a team with that type of pass rush. He absolute has some things to work out we all should've hoped we would've seen a little less and less of those faults as year goes on but he seems to go back and forth and while Mason is a absolute great North/South runner he is generally less effective on the outside but we didn't even try seemingly to get Griffin or D. Smith involved in the outside running attack and dial more of those up which can't be sure but you definitely had to start getting Pitt caught off guard some.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
That play should have, at the very least, been reviewed for targeting. When the QB gets concussion protocol and a DL is down on the field and also gets his head looked at, you should check the tape for helmet to helmet. Because Johnson dropped that ball because he got his bell rung.

Last edited:

GoGATech

Big Dummy
That play should have, at the very least, been reviewed for targeting. When the QB gets concussion protocol and a DL is down on the field and also gets his head looked at, you should check the tape for helmet to helmet. Because Johnson gropped that ball because he got his bell rung.
I thought the same thing and after watching the replay, it definitely should have. I don't think there was any ruthless intent, but by definition it was targeting. He lowered his head at the moment of impact and hit Lucas right in the head/neck area with the crown of his helmet.

johncu

Dodd-Like
We had a lot of jet sweep action and receivers going in motion across the formation. I'm curious whether that was just window dressing or a legit option play that Graham just decided to hand off or keep himself.

Along those lines, I really wish we would get Oliver more involved in that type of play. He's quick enough to beat guys in space and run through arm tackles by smaller corners. It also gives us great trick play potential, because he could catch a swing pass and pull up to fire it down field to a receiver who pretended to be blocking.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
We had a lot of jet sweep action and receivers going in motion across the formation. I'm curious whether that was just window dressing or a legit option play that Graham just decided to hand off or keep himself.
I remember giving it to AB once on that look and because of his speed he was able to get about 3 yards out of it. Anybody else would've been TFL or no gain.

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
If we truly believe the issue is OL talent, then why would we change OC? Literally no OC can take a trash OL and spin that straw into gold. May as well let Coach Pat give it a go for at least another year, where we’ll be able to better evaluate him.
I see a lot of people speaking positively on the job Key has done with the OL. Yet it is the worst position group we have on the team. Meanwhile Coach Pat gets the "we're a terrible offense, so it must be his fault" treatment.

One gets the benefit of the doubt because Alabama, he's one of us, injuries, etc. While the other gets piled on while having to run an offense with TO personnel including a terrible, patchwork OL.

At the moment I don't blame Key or Coach Pat for our offensive woes. I saw improvement this weekend, and we had all the chances to get an upset just like we did in Miami, but we shot ourselves in the foot. Having a shot in the 4th quarter is improvement to me!

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
Collins is the one who directed Patenaude to rip the bandaid off and play this offense, even when we possibly could have won a game or two more running something else. Recruiting well is more important than winning 4 games vs 3.

I don't love some of Pat's stuff but I believe he's doing what he's been told to do.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Collins is the one who directed Patenaude to rip the bandaid off and play this offense, even when we possibly could have won a game or two more running something else. Recruiting well is more important than winning 4 games vs 3.

I don't love some of Pat's stuff but I believe he's doing what he's been told to do.
You mean 3 wins vs 2.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
I see a lot of people speaking positively on the job Key has done with the OL. Yet it is the worst position group we have on the team. Meanwhile Coach Pat gets the "we're a terrible offense, so it must be his fault" treatment.

One gets the benefit of the doubt because Alabama, he's one of us, injuries, etc. While the other gets piled on while having to run an offense with TO personnel including a terrible, patchwork OL.

At the moment I don't blame Key or Coach Pat for our offensive woes. I saw improvement this weekend, and we had all the chances to get an upset just like we did in Miami, but we shot ourselves in the foot. Having a shot in the 4th quarter is improvement to me!
PNode is getting less benefit of the doubt because while the OL is holding us back, we aren't catering to our strengths despite saying over and over that's what we do. It took 5 games to see a snap from under center on 4th and 1, we only just sprinkled in play action, and we haven't thrown any screens that I can recall. Mason only got the ball 15 times and rarely got it when all we needed was 2 yards.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
It’s easy to forget that ALL 11 guys on offense are being asked to do it differently this year. Even the true Freshman (who have never played at anything close to this level of competition). Everyone’s a true Freshman this year.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
PNode is getting less benefit of the doubt because while the OL is holding us back, we aren't catering to our strengths despite saying over and over that's what we do. It took 5 games to see a snap from under center on 4th and 1, we only just sprinkled in play action, and we haven't thrown any screens that I can recall. Mason only got the ball 15 times and rarely got it when all we needed was 2 yards.
I think the "catering to strengths" thing is a bit overblown. What strengths do we really have to cater to? Just cause we ran the ball a lot using Paul Johnson's option offense doesn't mean it's easy for the players to run running plays from other offenses. It also isn't like we hired any coaches that have intimate knowledge of how Paul Johnson's offense worked, so I'm not sure we could just run old plays effectively either. On top of that, with this across the board youth they aren't exactly option veterans either, we don't even know if they would of run the old offense well.

I think wombat has the right idea of it, this is probably only fractionally better than what an offense of all true freshman or transfers would look like.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
So, is Patenaude the official StingTalk scapegoat for the 2019 season? Or is that just the view among the idiots who never had any executive responsibilities and like to cast blame. There are dozens of pieces to this puzzle, and it will take a couple years to see the true picture. Maybe it will turn out that we need a different OC, but judging him at the start of this transition is ridiculous.