"Tech Talking Title"

Re: Well, one statement right there.......

I agree Beegones post was good and so was yours

Re: Well, one statement right there.......

Gosh dogit i love my yellow jackets and the great fans that support this great school.

Gailey has divided the fan base.

He's been rude to callers on his talk show. I remember he told a caller who dared to questions keeping Suggs in the game after FSU in 2002. Gailey responded "Well, I guess I should make you offensive coordinator" Gailey then stated that Suggs would prove the naysayers wrong. Wow, that prediction really came true. Gailey and his supporters have always operated with the mentality that they are superior football people and anybody who disagrees with them is an idiot. We could have had a Frank Broyles candidate for OC but instead we've got somebody who is joke fodder on UGA and Auburn boards. Those people Gailey supporters regard as inferiors are starting to vote with their feet. A 7-2 UVA team against a 6-3 Tech teams should draw 50,000 but drew closer to 35,000.
GEETEELEE: What losses are you talking about? Half of flunkgate were Gailey recruits. 2 others were off the team already. 15 of the 22 starters last year were O'Leary recruits. Depending on the rumor mill, anywhere from 7 to 10 starters this year will be O'Leary recruits from a 2001 class where they have to be redshirts.
RMOVER: I would agree there was talent when O'Leary took over. However, O'Leary was getting creamed by FSU from 95-97. He knew he had to get better athletes and worked hard getting better talent. We were much more competitive against FSU starting in 1998.

Re: Gailey has divided the fan base.

You mean he was rude to callers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Kind of like O'Leary? Who is it you're talking about now as our possible OC? And what's your source that we could have had him?

NCJacket, what has happened to you?

You used to have game. Now, all you to do is make posts to please people like BOR. O'Leary was abrasive but he did take steps to fix problems in the coaching area. In 1996, he fired Pat Watson. In 1997, he fired Dave Huxtable. Chris Petersen was never contacted by Gailey. If Gailey had gone to Boise had offered to double his salary, he would probably come to Tech. Instead, we have an offense that is providing comic relief for Auburn and UGA fans instead of scaring them like in the Friedgen days.

[ QUOTE ]
Gailey and his supporters have always operated with the mentality that they are superior football people and anybody who disagrees with them is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What coach hasn't acted that way to a phone in caller who thought he knew more? As much as I loved O'Leary, he was the rudest Tech coach I can remember as far as fans were concerned. I remember him being just flat out arrogant as hell on his call in show.

Sorry, but you want to apply a double standard.

Re: NCJacket, what has happened to you?

[ QUOTE ]
instead of scaring them like in the Friedgen days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mentioned Friedgen... what was George's record without him again?

[ QUOTE ]
You mean he was rude to callers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Kind of like O'Leary? Who is it you're talking about now as our possible OC? And what's your source that we could have had him?

[/ QUOTE ]

The BO'ers all live in FANTASY LAND they have a list of coaches that they think,wish or hope will come to GT. It's all about money isn't it? I mean, CCG makes a million a year.

Nobody since 1956 has been able to win consistantly at GT, NOBODY, that encludes GOL. IMO it will take some body that has patience and is willing to stay around a while to do it.
Is CCG the guy ? I realy don't know, but, IMO it going to take longer than 3 years to know if he is or not.

Every time we change coaches we set our program back at least 2 years with no gaurantee we can win with the next one.
Carefull what you wish for, we could become a coaching grave yard.

As a member of the media for more than 40 years and having interviewed GOL, I also can atest to the fact that GOL was, to be kind, short with many in the press.

Re: NCJacket, what has happened to you?

You're too much sometimes. Please BOR? I don't even know who he is. I simply refuse to spend much time placating the lunatic fringe on either side of the discussion. Like they say, when you wrestle a pig it gets you dirty and makes the pig happy.

Best I can tell Gailey never contacted Norm Chow either. You're the only one who has fixated on the name of someone who has no ties to GT, Gailey or anyone else associated with Tech that I'm aware and continues to create an issue that doesn't exist. Yeah, our offense has been poor and has to improve. But there are many ways to improve a unit beside hiring one guy that you happen to like.

95-98 ....

I'm no mathemetician, but it seems like it took O'Leary four years to get competitive against the elite team on the schedule.

Hmmm that's odd. Why didn't 3816 run him off by year three?

Were any of you at the FSU game in 1998???

I was there. The score was 10-7 going into the 4th quarter. Hamilton got knocked out and the defense wore down. I guess the Auburn game in 1987 couldn't have gone down to the last play because the final score was 20-10 but it actually did. There's more to a football game than the boxscore.
NCJacket, your comparison is ridiculous. Chow was from California and there is a big difference between USC and a school that is in the WAC.
BOR, O'Leary was abrasive and could be condescending but he did make changes when both the offense and defense struggled. You can say it was all because of Friedgen but O'Leary brought him with a big NFL-type contract. He wasn't stubborn like Gailey running an obsolete offense that is producing results that got Pat Watson fired.

Re: Were any of you at the FSU game in 1998???

I was there. If Fridge hadn't been so incompetant in not having a backup ready for Joe, we would have won that game!

Seriously, Techie, have you seen the thread on the Hive comparing Joe Ham's stats with Reggie's their first two seasons? They are eriely similar. In fact if someone were completely objective in comparing the stats, they might say that Reggie had received better coaching or was a superior athlete, if you consider he didn't have the redshirt year to learn that Joe did. Not that anyone around here's gonna be objective.

[ QUOTE ]
You can say it was all because of Friedgen but O'Leary brought him with a big NFL-type contract. He wasn't stubborn like Gailey running an obsolete offense that is producing results that got Pat Watson fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what about on the defensive side of the ball under the big O? He was pretty stubborn about how Roof ran the D. If he had brought in a big time DC, where would we have been?

I was there.

Sure, we had a chance.

If I had $1 for every team that hung with FSU for two or three quarters only to run out of gas I could put the gas in a Suburban for a week.

10-7 in the 3rd Q. I guess that is what you call a moral victory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

If you think the 98 FSU game was close...

why didn't the 04 UGA game make you fall in love with Chan?

It doesn't get much closer than that...

Re: Were any of you at the FSU game in 1998???

O'leary made changes on the defensive side of the ball because these coaches wouldn't put up with his crap. I personally saw and heard a showdown between he and a DC and when it was all said and done the DC won out. If you hire a coach then let them coach.

as far as the 10-7 fsu in 4th quarter i don't buy it.

Re: If you think the 98 FSU game was close...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or the 03 FSU game

Re: If you think the 98 FSU game was close...

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

or the 03 FSU game

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but what you don't understand, is that Tenuta and the team almost won those games IN SPITE of Chan, but he was able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory giving yet another graphic demonstration of his ineptitude.

Back