"Tech Talking Title"

Re: List them

With all due respect.....I keep hearing about how pathetic a board buzzoff is. I think in the last month there have been about 15 threads opened and most of them are about buzzoff. I used to enjoy this board, but the only thing people talk about now is how bad buzzoff is. I find that to be very depressing about this board. Regardless of what you think about Buzzoff could we please have discussions on here about something else. You guys sound like the radical right disagreeing with the far left. Believe it or not there is a middle ground, maybe someone should talk about some of those things.

Uhhh, what?

Believe me I understand the use of hyperbole to make a point. But 15 threads in the last month? Most of them about buzzoff? While there have been a couple of threads about that board most of the time it's mentioned during a hijack of a thread that was started to discuss something else. Typically it starts with someone, such as 3518techie in this thread throwing out an gratuituous insult or putdown of those who disagree with him about our team/coach/prospects for the season. Someone eventually responds with WTTE "why don't you stay on buzzoff" and away we go. Personally I would love to have some threads that don't talk about coaching staffs at all. You know, talk about football for instance? But the odds are pretty slim that someone won't hijack it.

Re: GT_Dean, you never presented a coherent fact

[ QUOTE ]
I get criticzed for that. I don't see things as black and white. I know this will cause you to bust a blood vessel but if Gailey had brought in a big time OC or given Bilbo a real chance I wouldn't have lost faith in him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, ok. Bilbo at QB didn't work. Keeping him at QB is probably the equivalent of beating your head against a brick wall. You ain't gonna break through and all you do is screw yourself up.

3518, you cherry pick stats with the best of them!

[ QUOTE ]
...if I ranked 90th out of 117 in my field I would be updating my resume.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gailey doesn't rank 90th out of 117. He's won more than he's lost and his team was ranked in the top 30 in the nation after the 2004 season. By your standards, he gets a 23% on offense, but a 90% on defense.

These numbers may not make him anyone's most valuable employee but they won't cost him his job unless there's no improvement over a certain number of years. Most sane people (those who spend little time on Buzzoff) recognize that improvement is necessary, but they know it when they see it because they're not blinded by hate.

Re: 3518, you cherry pick stats with the best of them!

Who hates CCG? Not me, Not BB, or any other, the BO people want to see improvement and if a coaching change is needed then thats what is needed. The rational that a coaching change would cost us in the long run is a pipe dream nothing more or less. Hate to use Ga as an example or Oklahoma another, brought in new coaches and look what happened immediately recruiting improved, team played more cohesively and some even made it to a BSC bowl (Md) others won a MNC. Changing coaches does not necessarly(sp) mean a drop to the bottom of the heap. It seems it did with Chan but remember he didn't come here until recruiting season was almost over. OK now I'm waiting for the bashing to begin.

Re: NCJacket, you aren\'t reading the posts.

BOR, your analysis of how 2001 and 2005 are different is right on target. Add to the mix a conference where we play Miami and Virginia Tech, both on the road, and a non-conference trip to Auburn. Fair evaluation looks at schedule strength, returning players, and injuries to establish where the bar should be set each year in terms of wins and losses. I do not believe some who support Gailey have lowered the bar - they have set the bar realistically.
GT fans all want to win. Some just set the bar with fairness.

Just out of curiosity did we set the bar lower for Dodd, Fulcher, Carson etal because of the opponents (S of S)? No but it seems now some here have set the bar lower because that what they expect. Anything above the bar makes the coach look like superman.

Oldfoggy, I respect your point and believe all Tech fans want what's best for the program. I want to win every game, want an ACC title, and to compete for a national title. That's setting the bar high enough, don't you think? The '90 Ross team and the first Gator Bowl team of O'Leary prove that GT can compete at the highest level, we don't have to go back to Dodd and the fifties to find Tech teams that are excellent.
Where persons differ is less about the heights we want for the program, but about the floor we will tolerate before advocating for coaching change. As I evaluate Gailey I see winning records, bowl trips, excellent defense, when healthy - a good running game, and good wide receivers. On the down side I would like greater consistency on offense and at QB, more OLine depth, and fewer bad performances like the first trip to UGA, Clemson at home,Duke and Carolina on the road.
I simply feel our best chance to move the program forward for the time being is to stick with our coach and hope that as he gains more experience coaching on the Flats recruiting, performance, coaching staff will all improve over time. And, as long as we stick with our coach, the fan base needs to be as positive as possible for that does have some affect on team morale and future recruiting. You certainly may disagree with this analysis and feel that the best chance to move us forward is a coaching change, but it will be after this season ends before that is really an option for the Braine/Clough decision makers.
When that time comes we will be at the place for evaluating whether we believe our best chance for success involves a coaching change. Until then I'm 100% behind Coach Gailey and the team and hope they have a great season and many more to follow.
When we have had great success of late we have not been able to keep it going and have not kept the coaches for long after these great seasons. I want to see us compete at the highest level consistently with a coach that will stay with us. I'm still pulling for Chan to be that man.

Re: 3518, you cherry pick stats with the best of them!

..and then there's Iowa and Auburn, who actually stuck with their coaches after struggles in their 1st few seasons (Tuberville's record his 1st 3 years at Auburn is pretty similar to Chan's at GT). Ferentz and Tuberville have two of the top programs in the country right now.

I also respect your opinion but I did say "some" that does not mean all. A few have also started making excuses for this year and we haven't played a game yet. In your post you did add a few adjectives such as "healthy" etc, you did not mention our almost lowest rated (ACC) QB. I said last year that I did not think PJ could carry Tech all year, I'll make that same prediction again. CCG has set his (almost) entire O around one guy. PJ can't do it all. Until we get an OC a top notch position coordinator for the QB, line etc I think we will always be middle tier and end up in not just minor but very minor bowls who don't want us anyway.

i have just changed my mind to wanting a coaching change so we can get rid of these middle tier threads with middle posts by middle tier posters
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

True, and your post proves there are middle tier posters on this board!

I believe GT_Crew made the coach of the year

comment. BOR, I seem to remember Bilbo playing QB at UGA with the game on the line. JJacket, your debating skills on Buzzoff consisted of calling Friedgen fat. Boise State is a small school in Idaho with a limited local talent pool and nowhere near the facilities of any SEC or ACC school. Guys like Hawkins and Johnson overachieve and put teams that compete and beat opponents in similar situations. Stick, Gailey is 21-17 mainly because of a DC that Braine hired. I was referring to Gailey's offense. I don't believe Gailey is the right man to lead Tech becuase he is too stubborn. Other Tech coaches have made changes when the offense or defense has struggled. Gailey continues to refuse. Just like in Dallas, it's Gailey's way or else. Tech needs an innovator. An imaginative coach who will bring some excitement to the program and not a coach who won't change even after 2 straight seasons of poor offense.

Re: I believe GT_Crew made the coach of the year

brrrrazzzttttrfffff! Wrong, mistake, yet again: [ QUOTE ]
Gailey is 21-17 mainly because of a DC that Braine hired.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, Braine DID NOT hire Tenuta. Hiring and firing assistant coaches is Gailey's responsibility. Secondly, as you always do, you cannot give Jon credit for 21 wins and Gailey the blame for 17 losses - it don't happen that way, just another spin for a chance to demean Gailey.

And finally, think about this: we're paying Gailey big bucks. We're paying Tenuta big bucks. I would suspect we simply don't have the budget to hire a top OC. Gailey has most likely looked out there at what may be available for the $$ we have to spend and decided that Nix under his tutiledge is better than a bargin priced unknown. And I think that's reasonable.

What Tech needs more than anything is consistancy in recruiting. Coaching turnover is what has held us down to slightly better than 50% win record since Dodd. Gailey is just now hitting his stride in recruiting, and a big year of 9, 10 or 13 wins (which I fully expect) will go a looong way in that effort.

There's lots of things in 20/20 hindsight that Gailey has done wrong, but the fact remains he is our very best option to get back to your "standard of excellence".

ROLL TIDE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

How do you know and can you prove "he is our very best option"? That could debated from now on. Who may be better, who may be worse? I don't know as I pay very little attention to coach's outside Tech and or the ACC. So again I ask how do you know "he is our very best option"?

I am not assigning blame for 17 losses nor credit for 21 wins, just curious about your statement.

Your point is valid OF. However, my opinions are based on Braines coaching decisions in other areas of athletics. I am concerned about how this season will turn out, but I was also concerned when Paul Hewitt in his first couple of seasons. I am giving this season some serious review, but I like our chances to have a very successful season. We will see though. If not, then I may lose confidence that he IS our best option. Only time will tell.

This year the offense will be better. Choice will be a very, very, solid back who will be very helpful to taking some load off of P.J.

Secondly, I think C.J. will be able to do a lot more. He can go in motion, and do a lot of other things to pull two defenders. This will open up more possibilities. Especially if we look to our tight ends.

I also think that Reggie will have a solid season. Not great, but solid.

This is a year in which I think there are legitimate indicators that the offense should be vastly improved and capable of a more complex attack.

Your prediction that P.J. cannot carry the offense alone is correct---but is irrelevant---he will not need to carry the offense on his own.

The defense should be excellent.
GT has every reason to expect a good season, notwithstanding a tough schedule. I think eight regular season wins is emminently achievable.

I would be disappointed if we were not Thinking and Talking about a Title as the cover suggests.

Does this mean I support doing away with Gailey if we don't compete for a title? Absolutely not. He's an upstanding man, and I would prefer it if we didn't form a hasty conclusion without looking at a five year tenure. I remain very confident but not completely convinced, that Gailey will win a lot at GT. But don't ask me about the coaching during the season--I don't think rationally then.

I completely agree about Braine. His decision on PH may turn out to be the best decision he has ever made. Will we have a sucessful season, I don't know. I would guess it depends on an interpretation (sp?) of sucess.

I don't think 5 seasons tell a different story than 4 years. This year it will be mostly CCG's recruits who will shoulder the load. There are still big question on the O line, can the motion you mentioned really happen if the O line does not jell quickly, or will CCG evebn try those formations? Truthfully I have little faith in CCG's O. I am no DBO defender but if he could not learn the 10 basic plays CCG has and our QB could not exicute them then I can and do question the Offense. Who beside PJ has shown he is a winner? Sure Grant and Woods ran great but with PJ out we lost most of those games. Maybe it comes down to our QB not having confidence in the O without PJ in the mix. To me there are big questions on the O, that have not been answered in the spring (from what I read). Maybe some incoming freshman will provide some stability but time has shown that most freshman need a year of RS to be effective. Lately we have been unable to do the RSing that many teams do and then just reload.

I hope and expect better performance this year than the last 2 but seriously have my doubts.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know and can you prove "he is our very best option"?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's simple. Go back and look at any and all of our coaching transitions. We lose lots and lots of players and recruits every time. And we are pernnally thin on talent, so it affects us worse than other schools. It doesn't matter whether we got Urban Myer or Steve Spurrier, they will have to rebuild and we'll be struggling for two or three years once again.

The one, single unifying item on our history is changing coaches. If you upset the recruiting pipeline, it takes years to get it back.

Back