Textbook squats...

It will ruin your knees in the long run.

YMC6hSf.gif

Let's have a look at the literature -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23821469

Money quote at the end of the abstract-
Concerns about degenerative changes of the tendofemoral complex and the apparent higher risk for chondromalacia, osteoarthritis, and osteochondritis in deep squats are unfounded. With the same load configuration as in the deep squat, half and quarter squat training with comparatively supra-maximal loads will favour degenerative changes in the knee joints and spinal joints in the long term. Provided that technique is learned accurately under expert supervision and with progressive training loads, the deep squat presents an effective training exercise for protection against injuries and strengthening of the lower extremity. Contrary to commonly voiced concern, deep squats do not contribute increased risk of injury to passive tissues.

tl;dr - Squat like they do at UGA and you'll have a bad time. Squat deep, with proper form, and heavy and you'll be fine.

You can say I'm wrong, but I know this from experience.. repetitive squats with weights and proper form can cause damage to the knee joints.
You are wrong. I have been working out since high school. I'm 51 now. Proper form, don't overload yourself and you are fine.

You can say I'm wrong, but I know this from experience.. repetitive squats with weights and proper form can cause damage to the knee joints.

I take it you didn't read the linked paper?
Or do you assume your anecdotes supersede data?
Or are you confirming some of the findings presented in the linked paper in that not going full depth on the squat can cause degenerative knee issues because the tissues in and around the knee only adapt and strengthen with full depth?

IIRC you have claimed to be a personal trainer. If so you owe it to your clients to be up to speed on literature and implement those learnings, as do the strength coaches at a major college football program.

This is the road to serious back injury - if not in the squat rack it will happen after years of tension build on his iliac and lumbar muscles

This thread is like watching boxing at the special Olympics, just a bunch of retard fights.

You are wrong.
I don't anything about squats but I do have some suspicions about the way studies of this kind are done.

How we exactly do you think it's possible to disprove an assertion like @GTMom made?

Your point should be summed up: don't be scared of squats. Hers as: but be careful.

Football coaches require max lifts or at least they always did back in the 90's. Your rep weight is based on a percentage of your max and doing it every quarter or six months shows your strength process. We always maxed on 3 lifts: bench, squat and cleans.

Squats are the easiest thing to cheat and whether you are trying to or not, most people do. They may go parallel or below but use their back. Bench is also easy to cheat for short armed dudes with wide grips. Cleans are totally free weights and test explosiveness better than anything else. I was never good at them and having good form vs bad is the main reason why. I've seen a monster go at a clean and max at 195 and a guy that weighs 195 go clean 315 because he had perfect form. Either way, power clean is the most important lift for any football player

Last edited:
Football coaches require max lifts or at least they always did back in the 90's. Your rep weight is based on a percentage of your max and doing it every quarter or six months shows your strength process. We always maxed on 3 lifts: bench, squat and cleans.

Squats are the easiest thing to cheat and whether you are trying to or not, most people do. They may go parallel or below but use their back. Bench is also easy to cheat for short armed dudes with wide grips. Cleans are totally free weights and test explosiveness better than anything else. I was never good at them and having good form vs bad is the main reason why. I've seen a monster go at a clean and max at 195 and a guy that weighs 195 go clean 315 because he had perfect form. Either way, power clean is the most important lift for any football player
I believe the science of strength and conditioning, at least in college football, has improved tremendously since the 1990's. I remember Terestinki's dad and that crew at UGAg being decades behind in training methods, at least so I hear. Seems like we fell behind for a while too

I take it you didn't read the linked paper?
Or do you assume your anecdotes supersede data?
Or are you confirming some of the findings presented in the linked paper in that not going full depth on the squat can cause degenerative knee issues because the tissues in and around the knee only adapt and strengthen with full depth?

IIRC you have claimed to be a personal trainer. If so you owe it to your clients to be up to speed on literature and implement those learnings, as do the strength coaches at a major college football program.
First, my original comment toward the dwag was somewhat in jest. I realize it is different for football players who have undergone daily strength and conditioning training for years and are in their physical prime. However, in my second comment, I am referring to 3-4 times a week high repetition squats with max weight will over time cause degeneration in the knee joints when combined with running and other high impact activities. If you were having to get cortisone injections in your knees 1-2 times a month 7 months straight, you might then believe there is some validity to my point of view.

Having reviewed the footage, I can definitely say that the objects being used as weights for this squat exercise are not textbooks.

Back