Textbook squats...

Why would someone be doing max squats 3-4 times a week?

It's important to know what your recency-weighted running mean max weight is. That's the only way to decide whether or not your improvements are statistically significant.

Which, as we know, is the only kind of significance that matters.

Poor programming. Though it is possible to squat balls out 3x a week as long as you get enough calories/protein and do nothing in between to allow for sufficient recovery.

So poor programming.

Poor programming. Though it is possible to squat balls out 3x a week as long as you get enough calories/protein and do nothing in between to allow for sufficient recovery.

So poor programming.

That, plus the high impact of running on concrete, is going to crush your knees.

I also know plenty of people who say their form is good, but their knees track way to dark over their toes and don't hit depth.

My knees hurt like crap when I used improper form. When I fixed it, the pain went away and I could squat heavier weights.

It's called Crossfit

Olympic lifts ad nauseam is a sure fire way to injure yourself. Too many bad coaches who teach improper form on technical lifts that should only be performed 3-5 reps.

Olympic lifts ad nauseam is a sure fire way to injure yourself. Too many bad coaches who teach improper form on technical lifts that should only be performed 3-5 reps.
My trainer teaches perfect form. Not squats in every WOD but usually 2 out of 3 combined with other high impact such as lunges, box jumps burpees, etc.

My trainer teaches perfect form. Not squats in every WOD but usually 2 out of 3 combined with other high impact such as lunges, box jumps burpees, etc.

Does he monitor your form for all these exercises for every single rep?

When you get tired your form breaks down and that's when you'll hurt yourself. If your trainer can look at your form and everyone else's at the same time, then correct it, that's impressive.

Does he monitor your form for all these exercises for every single rep?

When you get tired your form breaks down and that's when you'll hurt yourself. If your trainer can look at your form and everyone else's at the same time, then correct it, that's impressive.
Yes, SHE does:) We do butt to box squats to ensure proper form.

Yes, SHE does:) We do butt to box squats to ensure proper form.

How dare I assume someone's gender, shame on me.

I was also speaking to the other exercises as well.

The point is, squats with good form aren't to blame for knee pain. Your knee issues are probably from over use without enough time for recovery.

You started by saying squats alone, then added you ran a lot, then heavy squats 3-4 days a week, then to top it off you stated the dreaded word "crossfit".

I applaud you for being healthy and staying fit, but sounds like an overuse issue and not a squat issue. Don't demonize the squats! That's how the terrorists win.

How dare I assume someone's gender, shame on me.

I was also speaking to the other exercises as well.

The point is, squats with good form aren't to blame for knee pain. Your knee issues are probably from over use without enough time for recovery.

You started by saying squats alone, then added you ran a lot, then heavy squats 3-4 days a week, then to top it off you stated the dreaded word "crossfit".

I applaud you for being healthy and staying fit, but sounds like an overuse issue and not a squat issue. Don't demonize the squats! That's how the terrorists win.
Ok I will concede it could possibly be more than the squats but that's when the knee pain began was during squats so I naturally assumed....

It's called Crossfit
Crossfitters aren't doing "max" squats. Most I've seen use plates that look like 45's, but are actually rubber plated and half the weight or so. I don't think you have a true grasp of what a "max", bar bending, squat is.

Crossfitters aren't doing "max" squats. Most I've seen use plates that look like 45's, but are actually rubber plated and half the weight or so. I don't think you have a true grasp of what a "max", bar bending, squat is.

Thank you. Max reps does not equal max effort. Totally different muscle activation and impact to the nervous system. The most extreme squat routine I've ever seen is by Jamie Lewis, who works primarily in single reps for dozens of sets. I tried it once and I was so exhausted halfway through I had to quit like the little baby I was. It isn't physically possible naturally to work in max effort squats 3-4x per week and expect to get any kind of performance after the first day. The body just doesn't work that way.

Thank you. Max reps does not equal max effort. Totally different muscle activation and impact to the nervous system. The most extreme squat routine I've ever seen is by Jamie Lewis, who works primarily in single reps for dozens of sets. I tried it once and I was so exhausted halfway through I had to quit like the little baby I was. It isn't physically possible naturally to work in max effort squats 3-4x per week and expect to get any kind of performance after the first day. The body just doesn't work that way.

You are weak American capitalist pig...(Said in Russian accent)

You are weak American capitalist pig...(Said in Russian accent)

giphy.gif

IMG_4620.JPG
In Crossfit max weight is the most weight each individual can lift with proper form successfully throughout the number of reps required in the WOD. In this example, there are two 15 min AMRAP's ( as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes)

Back