The Top-40 Players of the Coach Paul Johnson Era -- w/ Highlights, Stats, and Facts

As much as each new player you rank gives me flashbacks which make me want to write essays about why/how I love them, this one is different. Bedford played his heart out and ass off, does great in the booth, told the NCAA to choke on a dick and, most importantly, has a StingTalk account. So the commentary gig gives him a leg up on refrigeratormover.

Mover was pre CPJ.

#21: Darren Waller (2011-2014)
One of his best catches

Highlights vs. Miss. St. You see a lot of his blocking ability in this video

Nice set of highlights of Waller

Catch in Orange Bowl

At :38 seconds Waller makes a TD grab vs. Georgia, but go ahead and watch this whole video-

Darren Waller came to Tech as a true freshman in 2011 and played in 12 games. He established himself as a WR as a Sophomore when he caught 8 passes for 162 yards with a 20.3 yard per reception average. As a Junior and Senior, he combined for 43 catches and 809 yards, adding 9 TDs. In his career, Waller averaged a whopping 19 yards a catch. In our Orange Bowl run, Waller was one of the top contributors on offense, whether it was making a huge third down catch or making a huge block. His overall stats would probably drag him down on most people lists, but his athleticism and hands helped him a lot. It didn't help that we weren't passing at all during his time here, as JT5 rarely resorted to the air.

#20: Adam Gotsis (2012-2015)
i

Blocking a kick vs. UGA
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=11953723

Found an AWESOME highlight reel on ESPN
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=15413595

Adam's touchdown vs. Clemson
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/13854488

Gotsis knocking the hell out of UNC's Williams and gets DQ'd!
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/13799069

Adam's Sak of Dak
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/12105870

Australian born Adam Gotsis was a hoss on the DL for the Jackets in his seasons on the flats. Playing in 48 games across his 4 seasons, Adam had 110 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 Int's, 2 fumble recoveries, 26 tackles for a loss, and one TD. A true Freshman who played 12 games in 2012, Adam quickly climbed the depth chart and started all 13 games in 2013 as a sophomore. As a sophomore he was second on the team in tackles for a loss (14.5), sacks (5.5), and had 2 blocked kicks in the Music City Bowl vs. Ole Miss. He would go onto block another kick (vs. UGA) and an extra point as a Junior. As a Junior he was voted second team all-ACC and started all 14 games. He would start 39 games in a row up until the UVA game, where he had a season ending injury. Even with his short season, he was still voted as an honorable mention all-ACC and had 3 sacks, 31 tackles, and two fumble recoveries up to that point in the season.

Last edited:
#21: Darren Waller (2011-2014)
One of his best catches

Highlights vs. Miss. St. You see a lot of his blocking ability in this video

Nice set of highlights of Waller

Catch in Orange Bowl

At :38 seconds Waller makes a TD grab vs. Georgia, but go ahead and watch this whole video-

Darren Waller came to Tech as a true freshman in 2011 and played in 12 games. He established himself as a WR as a Sophomore when he caught 8 passes for 162 yards with a 20.3 yard per reception average. As a Junior and Senior, he combined for 43 catches and 809 yards, adding 9 TDs. In his career, Waller averaged a whopping 19 yards a catch. In our Orange Bowl run, Waller was one of the top contributors on offense, whether it was making a huge third down catch or making a huge block. His overall stats would probably drag him down on most people lists, but his athleticism and hands helped him a lot. It didn't help that we weren't passing at all during his time here, as JT5 rarely resorted to the air.

"It didn't help that we weren't passing at all during his time here, as JT5 rarely resorted to the air."

Huh? He's the most effective passer CPJ ever had at tech. Waller only didn't have more numbers because we had 4th rounder Smelter on the other side. Also way to high for a player with so little production compared to others.

"It didn't help that we weren't passing at all during his time here, as JT5 rarely resorted to the air."

Huh? He's the most effective passer CPJ ever had at tech. Waller only didn't have more numbers because we had 4th rounder Smelter on the other side. Also way to high for a player with so little production compared to others.

Yea, that is kind of what I meant, with Smelter being on the other side he didn't get as much action. We certainly didn't throw it a lot with Thomas though. Less with Nesbitt, more with Tevin and Vad.

I guess we can consider Waller my wild-card. Probably should be lower, but I think his skill set and what he brought to the table is worthy.

#19: Quayshawn Nealy (2010-2014)
ACC profile going into senior year, includes interceptions vs. Miami and syracuse highlights

Pick-6 vs. Tulane

Fumble recovery TD vs. NCST

Nealy's interception, long return, then fumble. Followed by DJ White's pick 6

Nealy's pick-6 vs. Utah in 2011, the longest INT return in GT bowl history

Quayshawn Nealy came to Georgia Tech and immediately set his mind on setting records. He redshirted in 2010 before making 7 starts and playing in all 13 games in 2011. Nealy produced 52, 80, 66, and 92 tackles respectively in his four seasons on the flats for a total of 290 tackles. It seems that just about every player I've listed has a niche, whether it be Deon Hill's blocking, Jamal Golden's returning, or C-Milt's kick-blocking- Big-Q's would definitely be his ability to cause turnovers. In his career Nealy produced two interceptions every season he played, returning two of them for touchdowns. He recovered SIX fumbles and recorded a fumble recovery touchdown as well. Nealy has a ton of leaderboard appearances, records, and accolades:

-Nealy's 74 yard pick-6 in the 2011 Sun Bowl was the longest interception return in Georgia Tech bowl history and the 13th longest of all-time for the Jackets.

-His 71 yard interception return that he fumbled vs. NCST was the 16th longest interception return in GT history and the second longest return that wasn't a touchdown. It was also the 5th longest INT return in GT ACC play.

-The 43 yard fumble return touchdown vs. NCST was the 4th longest fumble return in GT history.

-Holds the record, tied with 16 others, with 2 fumbles recovered in a game. He did it vs. Pittsburgh in 2014.

-Since 1976 Quayshawn Nealy is 247th all-time in college football in interception return yards.

-2014 ALL-ACC, SECOND TEAM (ACSMA, Phil Steele)

-2014 ALL-ACC, THIRD TEAM (coaches)

-ACC LINEBACKER OF THE WEEK(Nov. 10, 2014)

-ACC LINEBACKER OF THE WEEK(Oct. 21, 2013)

-ACC LINEBACKER OF THE WEEK(Nov. 12, 2012)

#18: Dedrick Mills (2016-Current)

ACC ranked him 24th on their 30 players to watch in 2017

Top five performances

Game winner vs. BC

Every offensive play vs. Kentucky

Dedrick Mills is one of the more exciting Freshman CPJ has ever had, rushing 152 times for 771 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was a pre-season Freshman all-American and lived up to the hype. The 12 rushing touchdowns was sixth in the ACC. The downside was that he missed four games, three of which to suspensions. Vs. Miami and Vanderbilt he was named ACC rookie of the week, becoming the first Yellow Jacket to win twice since Calvin Johnson. He was TaxSlayer Bowl MVP and was named to ESPN.com's all-bowl team. His 169 yard bowl appearance was the 7th most in the 2017 post season. Mills was named to Campus Insiders Freshman All-American team and was named to the Maxwell Award watchlist for 2017. Here are his distinctions that he racked up just in one season on the flats:

-9th most rushing TD's in a single season for GT with 12

-9th in total TD's in a single season for GT with 13

-6th in GT history with 3 TD's rushing TD's in a single game

-9th in GT history with 3 total TD's in a single game

-169 yards was 34th in a single game in GT history

#17: Zach Laskey (2011-2014)
Laskey's first rushing TD is the first highlight in this video

Laskey's first receiving TD is the first highlight in this video

All three of Laskey's TD's against Georgia are in this highlight

Laskey's long run in the Sun Bowl

One of the better highlight reels of Laskey I could find

In 2011 Zach Laskey came onto the flats as a wiry defensive back, who played 8 games as our primary punt returner. He would end up 7th in the ACC with 94 punt return yards. Before 2012, he would be converted to B-back and he never looked back. In his first season as B-back, Laskey played in all 14 games and started in six. He ended up leading the team in rushing with 697 yards and added another 127 receiving. He only had one negative rush that entire season. In 2013 Laskey's carries dipped from 133 to 84 due to the emergence of Senior David Sims. Zach would pick up 539 yards and 8 overall touchdowns combined. Laskey played 11 games in 2014 and started seven of them. He ended up being voted second team all-ACC and amassed 851 yards on 171 carries. His 9 rushing TD's that season was a career high, along with his yards and carries. If not for the injury that held him out of Pitt, NCST, and UVA, he would have easily tipped 1,000 yards. In his career Zach Laskey rushed 388 times for 2,033 yards (5.2 average) and 17 touchdowns. He caught 15 passes for 225 yards (15 average) and 4 touchdowns. That is 2,258 yards and 21 touchdowns for his career. Add Laskey's 10 tackles, 100 yards returning (kicks and punts), and 46 games played and you have yourself a damn solid player on the flats. Here is a list of his accolades:

14th on GT's all-time rushing list with 2,033. One of just 15 backs with 2000. Of the players with 2000 yards, only David Sims (the one from the 70's not 00's) had less attempts (379-388)

18th all-time in rushing attempts

Thomas, Days, and Laskey trio (2,861) second most rushing yards trio in GT history for a season

2014 second team all-ACC

5th in the ACC in rushing in 2012; 9th in 2014

8th in the ACC in rushing TD's in 2014

In 2011 Zach Laskey came onto the flats as a wiry defensive back, who played 8 games as our primary punt returner. He would end up 7th in the ACC with 94 punt return yards. Before 2012, he would be converted to B-back and he never looked back. In his first season as B-back, Laskey played in all 14 games and started in six. He ended up leading the team in rushing with 697 yards and added another 127 receiving. He only had one negative rush that entire season. In 2013 Laskey's carries dipped from 133 to 84 due to the emergence of Senior David Sims. Zach would pick up 539 yards and 8 overall touchdowns combined. Laskey played 11 games in 2014 and started seven of them. He ended up being voted second team all-ACC and amassed 851 yards on 171 carries. His 9 rushing TD's that season was a career high, along with his yards and carries. If not for the injury that held him out of Pitt, NCST, and UVA, he would have easily tipped 1,000 yards. In his career Zach Laskey rushed 388 times for 2,033 yards (5.2 average) and 17 touchdowns. He caught 15 passes for 225 yards (15 average) and 4 touchdowns. That is 2,258 yards and 21 touchdowns for his career. Add Laskey's 10 tackles, 100 yards returning (kicks and punts), and 46 games played and you have yourself a damn solid player on the flats. Here is a list of his accolades:

14th on GT's all-time rushing list with 2,033. One of just 15 backs with 2000. Of the players with 2000 yards, only David Sims (the one from the 70's not 00's) had less attempts (379-388)

Thomas, Days, and Laskey trio (2,861) second most rushing yards trio in GT history for a season

2014 second team all-ACC

Fastest white boy.

2014 second team all-ACC

Also is fond of Frostys

10 catches 187 yards and 2 TDs in the ACCCG and OB after Smelter got hurt against uga. I loved the TD he had against UGA too - hardly even a fade. Just posted up the DB like a power forward. It just so happened that Smelter was an animal on the other side. 3rd and Smelter is what powered us to the first 9 wins in 2014.

10 catches 187 yards and 2 TDs in the ACCCG and OB after Smelter got hurt against uga. I loved the TD he had against UGA too - hardly even a fade. Just posted up the DB like a power forward. It just so happened that Smelter was an animal on the other side. 3rd and Smelter is what powered us to the first 9 wins in 2014.
Were all the back shoulder passes Thomas threw a result of his height? We have relied heavily on that throw the last 3 years.

#22: @EffortWarrior79 Sean Bedford (2006-2010)
This is why they call him effort warrior... watch him stand up and clear the way for Nesbitt

at 1:42 you can see Bedford Paving the way for a 'Nesbitt Sneak'

at 1:29 Bedford completely clearing out a Mississippi St. player for a huge hole

79 completely stands up the lineman to open a hole for Dwyer

Funny video about Sean

Sean Bedford, one of the oldest players that'll be on this list, captured our hearts as the smartest man in college football when he was here. He was a damn good Center to boot, earning first team all-ACC in 2009 and 2010! He also won three ACC lineman of the weeks during his time here. Bedford was actually a walk-on, who redshirted in the 2006 season. In 2007 he was a reserve defensive lineman, that only played in the Army game. He switched to Center before 2008 and was our back up seeing limited action. He won the starting job in spring 2009, and never looked back. Sean is still a major part of our athletic program as he is the color commentator in the radio booth. One of Bedford's best moments on the flats wasn't in a game at all, it was his response to the bullshit cheating allegations, in which we were "stripped" of our 2009 ACCCG. Here is what he had to say:

"Dear NCAA,

Thank you for handing down penalties that only adversely affect the players who did things the right way. This reeks of an organization desperate to prove that it has some sort of control over its member institutions despite lacking the ability and firepower to police the serious offenders and protect the student-athletes whose interests you purport to have at heart.

While I realize that all violations merit some kind of punishment, I have a hard time grasping the notion that one of the proudest moments in my life (and the lives of every other individual that was a part of the team and program in 2009) is apparently worth $312 in your eyes. If that truly is the case, I'd be happy to provide you with that same amount of money (cash or check, your choice) in exchange for the reinstatement of the title my teammates and I earned through our blood, sweat and tears.

It took months of hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice by a team of over 100 players, 10 coaches and countless staff members to achieve that championship, but, evidently, it only takes the handful of pencil pushers, lawyers and professors on your infractions committee to strip us of it.

I was a part of the 2009 ACC Championship team and, while you can pretend retroactively that it didn't happen, I have vivid memories of an incredible season that was, and continues to be, one of the most fun, meaningful, important, and very real times in my 23 years on this planet. I'll be wearing my championship ring with pride and if you want that too, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead finger.

-Sean Bedford"

Also a StingTalk Tailgate™ alum.

#16: Derrick Morgan (2007-2009)

Awesome play on Spiller and sack against UVA

At 2:03 is his huge sack on Tyrod with Wes Durham commentating

Safety vs. BC!

Morgan recovers a fumble at 1:34

Derrick Morgan came to GT and found playing time immediately. Playing in 12 of 13 games in 2007, Derrick recorded 9 tackles a pass deflection. In 2008 he found himself starting opposite Michael Johnson and they combined for a dynamic duo. DM's 7 sacks that year ranked eighth in the ACC and his four fumble recoveries were tied for second in the nation. Against Gardner-Webb he blocked the potential OT forcing FG and won ACC lineman of the week for his efforts in that game. He was an all-ACC honorable mention that season and also an honorable mention all the countries 'all-Sophomore' list. Derrick's 2009 would prove to be just as special as 2008, as he won ACC defensive player of the year and was an all-american. That season he had 12.5 sacks, 18.5 TFL's, 55 tackles, and 2 forced fumbles. He led the ACC in sacks and was fifth nationally. Morgan would leave for the NFL following the 2009 season, but left his mark on numerous GT leaderboards:

8th all-time in sacks with 19.5

4th with 12.5 sacks in a season (2009)

19th all-time in TFL's with 29.5

7th in TFL's in a season 18.5 (2009)

TFL's in a game: 5th with four, two separate times- G-webb 2008 and Clemson 2009

4th in sacks in one game with 3- Clemson and WF in 2009

2 ACC lineman of the weeks and an ACC defensive player of the year

ACC honorable mention in 2008, First team all-ACC in 2009

All-Sophomore honorable mention in 2008, first team all-American in 2009

was out of commission th last few days, top 15 countdown starts tomorrow night! Also fwiw, I have not changed any of my top 15 since I originally did it. I thought about moving some around but decided to just go with my gut. excited to see what y'all think about my picks.

Is your Top 15 all on offense? Because DM is clearly the best defensive player we've had under CPJ. Kind of ridiculous to have him outside the top 3 overall.

Back