The Top-40 Players of the Coach Paul Johnson Era -- w/ Highlights, Stats, and Facts

Is your Top 15 all on offense? Because DM is clearly the best defensive player we've had under CPJ. Kind of ridiculous to have him outside the top 3 overall.

There are defensive players and offensive lineman in the top-15

was out of commission th last few days, top 15 countdown starts tomorrow night! Also fwiw, I have not changed any of my top 15 since I originally did it. I thought about moving some around but decided to just go with my gut. excited to see what y'all think about my picks.
thanks for making this list.number one has to be either Nesbitt or JT. One beat you with his feet, the other beat you with his fist.

Last edited:
I don't care what the stats say if there's a draft of players from the CPJ era I'm taking Derrick Morgan first every time.

That's the correct line of thinking. I'd say that Mason and DT have claims as well, but hard to argue with the logic of DM at #1. I'm hesitant to say "by far" the best defensive player under CPJ (MJ, Richards, Walker, Attaochu) but it's probably true. He was a dominant force on a bad defense in '09. And the best as a junior on a DL full of NFL draft picks in '08.

This is like Dinich making ridiculous lists and having to wonder whether she was trying to drive clicks or just that oblivious.

That's the correct line of thinking. I'd say that Mason and DT have claims as well, but hard to argue with the logic of DM at #1. I'm hesitant to say "by far" the best defensive player under CPJ (MJ, Richards, Walker, Attaochu) but it's probably true. He was a dominant force on a bad defense in '09. And the best as a junior on a DL full of NFL draft picks in '08.

This is like Dinich making ridiculous lists and having to wonder whether she was trying to drive clicks or just that oblivious.
Johnson.jpg

#15: Cord Howard (2005-2009)
images

workout video

Senior interview

Offensive highlights vs. FSU 2008 (Howard graded out as the ACC's best lineman for this performance)

Howard pancake blocks a tiger to the ground

Cord Howard is one of Paul Johnson's best offensive lineman during his tenure so far. Howard was recruited by Gailey and redshirted in 2005. He earned more and more playing time the next two seasons, and took over the starting tackle position for the last 6 games of 2007. In 2008 he was a monster, started every game, and finished second team all-ACC. In 2009 he started every game once again and this time was given first team all-ACC honors.

Hell, they'll be a whole new batch of players to choose from at the snail's rate you're going.

#14: Darryl Richard (2004-2008)
Awesome sack vs. Clemson

at :52 Richards with a monster sack vs. Miami

at 1:28 you see Richards with a huge open field tackle for a loss that causes a fumble!

at 2:20:50 Richards gets a sack in the Champs Sports Bowl! (the oldest highlight in this entire thread)

After missing much of his first offseason with injury, Richard came out ready to play in 2004. He was an often used reservedwho really shined in the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl, making Sports Illustrated's all-bowl team for that year thanks to his two sacks (one for a safety). He finished that season with four sacks and seven tackles for a loss. Unfortunately in spring practice going into 2005, Richard injured his knee and redshirted for the entire 2005 season. In 2006 he started 13 games but was a quiet force in the trenches, collecting only 3.5 TFL's and no sacks. He would finish his career strongly though, with 8.5 sacks and 21.5 TFL's in his final two seasons combined. Richard would finish his career with 98 tackles, 32 TFL's, and 12.5 sacks for -81 yards. Richard is 13th all-time in TFL's at GT, 9th in games played (52), and 16th in career sacks. He has a laundry list of accomplishments ranging from Athelitc to Academic. Darryl was a super smart athlete who won a lot of recognition for his school work.
2009 all-acc

* 2009 East-West Shrine Bowl Invitee

* 2008 ACC Tatum Award

* 2008 First Team All-ACC (Rivals)

* 2008 Second Team All-ACC

* 2008 Second Team All-ACC (ACC Sports Journal)

* 2008 Team Tri-Captain

* 2008 ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week (Sept. 8)

* 2008 Lowe's Senior Class Award Candidate

* 2008 Draddy Trophy Finalist

* 2007 Second Team Academic All-America

* 2007 Academic All-District

* 2007 Wuerffel Trophy Finalist

Last edited:
Hell, they'll be a whole new batch of players to choose from at the snail's rate you're going.

My laptop broke. It was in the shop since last wednesday. The list of my players was on it, and I couldn't remember the exact order of them so I just waited till I got it back. Literally got my laptop back this morning and immediately started doing these again. It wasn't my intention to go this long without doing one.

My laptop broke. It was in the shop since last wednesday. The list of my players was on it, and I couldn't remember the exact order of them so I just waited till I got it back. Literally got my laptop back this morning and immediately started doing these again. It wasn't my intention to go this long without doing one.
hey, all mandatory stingtalk bluster aside, thanks for doing this list. We do appreciate it.

Can you spare us the top 10 and tell us who you picked at #1? Dwyer, Nesbitt, or JT5?

Can you spare us the top 10 and tell us who you picked at #1? Dwyer, Nesbitt, or JT5?
I'd go with Nesbitt. Tough nosed QB that got the extra yard. The O-line was adjusting to CPJ's new blocking method and a completely new playbook. If we have a weak QB the first year of CPJ's tenure, perhaps going 5-7 or worse dooms the CPJ experiment and we wander through the wilderness... No 45-42, no ACC championship...

I'd go with Nesbitt. Tough nosed QB that got the extra yard. The O-line was adjusting to CPJ's new blocking method and a completely new playbook. If we have a weak QB the first year of CPJ's tenure, perhaps going 5-7 or worse dooms the CPJ experiment and we wander through the wilderness... No 45-42, no ACC championship...
Nesbitt would be my choice as well. Then Dwyer, then Bay Bay, then JT5

Back