The triple option 10 years later

I think it would be really neat to have lil joe back as a QB coach, but at least from where we are now, it seems like the 3/o has become a part of our identity and I think it would be hard to move from it.

So all we need to do is hire two geniuses, with one of them being good at recruiting?

I'm going to forward this info to Stansbury. Delete this post before another school sees it.

I don't think we need a "recruiting genius" so much as we need to continue building out the recruiting dept. Because of built in limitations of our school, it's going to be harder for us to recruit. To keep up, we will need to work harder and with more people. Keeping the recruiting office small will probably cause us to slip further behind the pack. Adding people to the office is low hanging fruit compared to a new coach.

So all we need to do is hire two geniuses, with one of them being good at recruiting?

I'm going to forward this info to Stansbury. Delete this post before another school sees it.

Just a little Monday afternoon daydreamin'

I don't think we need a "recruiting genius" so much as we need to continue building out the recruiting dept. Because of built in limitations of our school, it's going to be harder for us to recruit. To keep up, we will need to work harder and with more people. Keeping the recruiting office small will probably cause us to slip further behind the pack. Adding people to the office is low hanging fruit compared to a new coach.

No, I the recruiting thing was in addition to one of them being a defensive genius and the other being a to guru.

I'm in favor of remaining a "system" team. Sticking with the option would be great, but I'm open to other unconventional offenses. Coach Johnson has made the point that it's tough at a school like Georgia Tech to compete running the same thing as everyone else. Makes a lot of sense to me. Look how Gailey did even with some amazing talent.

Nebraska used to be the premier option team, then they got away from it, and it hasn't turned out well for them.

I like our current offense and would not mind keeping it.

That said, Friedgen’s offense was pretty damned exciting too and I would not mind that either.

There's so much to appreciate what CPJ has done for Tech. Some top of mind thoughts:

CPJ has given Tech an identity. What were we under Gailey or GOL? We've got a lane under CPJ and we stay in that lane. Everyone here could describe it and the terms would look something like old school, run first, gritty, or scrappy. We know what Tech puts on the field and opponents fear it regardless of their skill level, coaching level, or national title aspirations.

We've got a proven winner at head coach and he's created success at a place that we haven't seen in 60 years. And all the better, he isn't going to jump for a huge paycheck. CPJ genuinely loves where he's at and he's given Tech great success. He's also got that old school tech vibe - blue collar, snarky, chip on the shoulder vibe. It is a dream matchup.

My only qualm about CPJ is that Tech didn't hire him sooner. Yes, I believe in a system that takes smart guys that may be overlooked by the farm schools and brings them to a place of learning where their mental and physical abilities will be pressed to the max. I believe that creates great men for Tech and society.

I think our ol' ball coach has pretty much proven himself a winner at the major conference level. I've grown so used to the TO offense that I find it hard to watch other teams do weird things like punt or not score a lot of points. Assuming coach retires here (5 years?), do we continue the offense now that its our identity? Without the TO, we werent much on the national scene. Now *everybody* knows what we do and knows about us. I'd almost hate to go back to a standard offense. Look what happened to Ga Southern after they lost their identify.

Can you imagine going from this back to Chan Gailey?

Why do you assume it would be a regression to Chan Gailey? How do we know it would not be a regression to Ralph Friedgen? I have found both CPJ & CRF Os to be pretty exciting.

I believe any AD hiring a HC based on the O he runs or does not run would be, at best , incompetent. There are quite a few other factors that would take precedence over this one aspect of the program.

Some say the TO is a great equalizer for us. Perhaps / perhaps not. Since 2008 we have won 37% of our games vs. ugag, um, fsu, cu and vt. Can we do better? IDK. Have we lost 51 - 7 like chump Gailey did Twice. For sure not, but if we are not winning those games does it matter? I think so.

I do not think anyone will ever run this O with the same success CPJ has, So hiring someone simply because they run this O will lead to some bad experiences. Some say the academic environment is different now as compared to Ross / GO’L / Friedgen. Probably so, but how do we know the same shift will not apply to the next coach vs CPJ?

I believe running this O decreases our already limited recruiting pool, and without CPJ it will be worse.

Just believe it is folly, when the time comes, to hire a coach based on the O they would run

Coach Johnson has made the point that it's tough at a school like Georgia Tech to compete running the same thing as everyone else. Makes a lot of sense to me. Look how Gailey did even with some amazing talent.

I don't think that's what CPJ has said at all. CPJ has said that it is difficult to compete with the factory programs with the level of talent that GT can realistically recruit and retain. Gailey, on the other hand, is an example of bad coaching. He was able to recruit and retain highly touted kids, but couldn't coach.

Why do you assume it would be a regression to Chan Gailey? How do we know it would not be a regression to Ralph Friedgen? I have found both CPJ & CRF Os to be pretty exciting.

I believe any AD hiring a HC based on the O he runs or does not run would be, at best , incompetent. There are quite a few other factors that would take precedence over this one aspect of the program.

Some say the TO is a great equalizer for us. Perhaps / perhaps not. Since 2008 we have won 37% of our games vs. ugag, um, fsu, cu and vt. Can we do better? IDK. Have we lost 51 - 7 like chump Gailey did Twice. For sure not, but if we are not winning those games does it matter? I think so.

I do not think anyone will ever run this O with the same success CPJ has, So hiring someone simply because they run this O will lead to some bad experiences. Some say the academic environment is different now as compared to Ross / GO’L / Friedgen. Probably so, but how do we know the same shift will not apply to the next coach vs CPJ?

I believe running this O decreases our already limited recruiting pool, and without CPJ it will be worse.

Just believe it is folly, when the time comes, to hire a coach based on the O they would run

You make some fair points but I think it's pretty certain Gailey's conservative NFL offense is designed not to limit mistakes and play field position with strong defense. I can't go back to that. Ever.

There's so much to appreciate what CPJ has done for Tech. Some top of mind thoughts:

CPJ has given Tech an identity. What were we under Gailey or GOL? We've got a lane under CPJ and we stay in that lane. Everyone here could describe it and the terms would look something like old school, run first, gritty, or scrappy. We know what Tech puts on the field and opponents fear it regardless of their skill level, coaching level, or national title aspirations.

We've got a proven winner at head coach and he's created success at a place that we haven't seen in 60 years. And all the better, he isn't going to jump for a huge paycheck. CPJ genuinely loves where he's at and he's given Tech great success. He's also got that old school tech vibe - blue collar, snarky, chip on the shoulder vibe. It is a dream matchup.

My only qualm about CPJ is that Tech didn't hire him sooner. Yes, I believe in a system that takes smart guys that may be overlooked by the farm schools and brings them to a place of learning where their mental and physical abilities will be pressed to the max. I believe that creates great men for Tech and society.
Preach it brotha!

I don't think that's what CPJ has said at all.

He has, at least once he's answered a question about the system saying basically it was crazy to think you could run the same thing as everyone else at Georgia Tech and expect to compete with the factories. Trust me, I listen to like every radio show and presser. He has also said we are at a talent disadvantage versus the factories like you say.

Gailey built a lot of skill over time but no real depth. That 2006 (I think) team was maybe the best team athletically we have had in the last long while. Still were questions on what we were going to do the next year especially on OL.
We all need to enjoy CPJ good and bad. Next coach will be tough for them no matter the coach or his system.
Every time GT lines up against UGA, UM, VT, or Clemson it's an uphill battle. The only real way to fix that is academically.

Last edited:
I bet Tevin could call plays pretty damn well. Not sayin', just sayin'. We don't necessarily need the HC and the OC to be the same guy, either. Maybe we'll pick up a recruiting focused HC and somebody at the OC level to run the option.
Who can match CPJs in game adjustments or his ability to see detail to exploit defenses like he is capable of? I mean if tevin is the guy then so be it. Paul Johnson is the nick Saban of the option game. He has worked with and over many head coaches who now hold D1 jobs.

Back