The triple option 10 years later

I was also being sarcastic about the 3rd and long. I can hardly watch 'boring offenses anymore. Love CPJs system - hope we have coaches from his tree in the future.

MY bad. Didn't see this before I posted my 3rd and long stat.

2012 - present, only 20 teams have converted 25%+ of 3rd and 10+ Georgia Tech is one of the 20 teams.
hey, hey, hey...this is stingtalk. we don't do actual stats that make us look good, just feelings and emotions of butthurt!

Not holding him up as a model. But he did turn them around. Also Paterson at TCU.

Yeah, I thought we were talking about Briles O acumen, not his faults as a person.

And I often find it hard to believe Patterson is not praised to high heaven as a great coach.

Also, I want a coach that uses a playsheet on the sidelines. CPJ doesn't use a playsheet - that has to be a problem. Especially on 3rd and long.
We also need to have a screen set up, like Pitt uses, to keep the opposing defense from stealing our plays

It appears that most want to keep running the TO , or clone another johnson. However, his TO hasn't taken us to the final 4 and we still have trouble recruiting good players. Just check the the current top 25, no TO teams there either. Just thinking outloud folks.

Looking at Florida in Urban/Tebow days or Oregon in early 2010's, the running/passing mix was around 60%. Tech runs 80-90%, with much of the difference explained by A-back pitches versus screens.

When he was at Utah, Urban Meyer would consult with CPJ about the option. But he didn't want it to get out and then be labeled an "option guy." (This article was probably also the kiss of death before the 2015 season.)

“Everybody runs some option,” Johnson said. “Guys are so afraid they’re going to get labeled as option coaches. I used to laugh at Urban [Meyer], because when we were at Navy and they were at Utah, they used to call us all the time about scheme and stuff. He’d tell me, ‘I don’t want to get labeled an option guy.’

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-g...--and-why-it-still-works-221335927-ncaaf.html

IMO, the only big difference many fans see between TO and other spread systems is that we line up under-center. Clemson will run a lot of zone read options with the mesh. Many fans consider that to be more pass-centric because the mesh happens with shotgun, rather than the QB/BB mesh under-center. But there's no difference between the two other than one occurs a few yards back.

What's interesting is that the under-center option got such a huge stigma. These spread offenses have to use the shotgun to make the same reads acceptable again. In another article, CPJ basically says "The old option offenses didn't stop working. It was just Miami beat Oklahoma a few times in the 80's." The biggest piece was of course 1980's Miami talent, not their scheme. Nebraska in the 1990's did alright with their version of the option.

It appears that most want to keep running the TO , or clone another johnson. However, his TO hasn't taken us to the final 4 and we still have trouble recruiting good players. Just check the the current top 25, no TO teams there either. Just thinking outloud folks.

He hasn't taken us to the final four but he has taken us to a number 7 finish.

Any public institutions with high academic standards and limited curriculum in the final 4 lately or the current top 25?

Who can match CPJs in game adjustments or his ability to see detail to exploit defenses like he is capable of? I mean if tevin is the guy then so be it. Paul Johnson is the nick Saban of the option game. He has worked with and over many head coaches who now hold D1 jobs.
Navy has managed to maintain the level established by CPJ.

I like Paul Johnson and I like the option offense. in my days at Tech I loved Pepper and the wishbone. Of course, I liked Chan Gailey as well. I enjoy ten win seasons and championships as much as anyone. But, what I hate is the pain of losing seasons, no bowl games, no relevance. For that reason Ross, O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson have all been successes in my opinion. I think our recruiting to our system is fine. What hurts us is to miss on a player we sign and were counting on. We would have been pretty close to unstoppable with Mills and Marshall this year. As long as CPJ avoids losing seasons with no bowl games, I will be fine with him staying for as long as he likes. I think he is better than Gailey at turning a good season into a great one.

Back