The triple option 10 years later

Who can match CPJs in game adjustments or his ability to see detail to exploit defenses like he is capable of? I mean if tevin is the guy then so be it. Paul Johnson is the nick Saban of the option game. He has worked with and over many head coaches who now hold D1 jobs.

I think if anyone who hasn't yet proven it at a coaching level can do it, it's going to be one of his former QBs. Tevin was pretty dang astute in this offense, even early, so it stands to reason anyways.

I believe we need a "different" offense, but not necessarily the spread option. I would prefer something like the Oregon, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc. offenses that are different, but are very attractive to recruits. I really liked WF's offense, just with better personnel. The coach is more important than the style.

Who can match CPJs in game adjustments or his ability to see detail to exploit defenses like he is capable of? I mean if tevin is the guy then so be it. Paul Johnson is the nick Saban of the option game. He has worked with and over many head coaches who now hold D1 jobs.

Ivin Jasper has proven CPJ is not the only one.

I'm tired of being lulled to sleep myself
Differing opinions are welcome here. I'm a TO fan but dont require fan-boys-only to respond. Which offense would you prefer? Something more like the crazy Oregon/Baylor offenses where they have great athletes running open all over the place? I think this has become the standard college offense (WF runs this offense) yet it appears hard to replicate Oregon and Baylor.

I believe we need a "different" offense, but not necessarily the spread option. I would prefer something like the Oregon, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc. offenses that are different, but are very attractive to recruits. I really liked WF's offense, just with better personnel. The coach is more important than the style.
That's the key. Oregon and Baylor had superior athletes (and Baylor sacrificed its integrity in getting them). Those offenses with average personnel equal slightly above average offenses unless you have Mike Leach himself coaching your team. Leach is the Paul Johnson equivalent to the forward pass.

Differing opinions are welcome here. I'm a TO fan but dont require fan-boys-only to respond. Which offense would you prefer? Something more like the crazy Oregon/Baylor offenses where they have great athletes running open all over the place? I think this has become the standard college offense (WF runs this offense) yet it appears hard to replicate Oregon and Baylor.

I was actually joking and being sarcastic. I think CPJ’s version of the option offense is exciting. Offense has generally not been our Achilles it’s been the defense. And that’s markedly improved under Roof. I do fear a dark period after CPJ leaves solely because the athletes in our program probably will not translate well in a more traditional offense.

Mike Leach

I was also being sarcastic about the 3rd and long. I can hardly watch 'boring offenses anymore. Love CPJs system - hope we have coaches from his tree in the future.

I was actually joking and being sarcastic. I think CPJ’s version of the option offense is exciting. Offense has generally not been our Achilles it’s been the defense. And that’s markedly improved under Roof. I do fear a dark period after CPJ leaves solely because the athletes in our program probably will not translate well in a more traditional offense.
I kind of thought your comment was sarcasm. My bad.

I think everyone who doesn't understand our offense thinks it is nothing but 3 yards a play and is incapable of long gains. We usually hit for big plays every game. TaQuan's long runs and Searcy's could have gone as long as needed. Taquan could still be running today if he wanted to.

Why do you assume it would be a regression to Chan Gailey? How do we know it would not be a regression to Ralph Friedgen? I have found both CPJ & CRF Os to be pretty exciting.

I believe any AD hiring a HC based on the O he runs or does not run would be, at best , incompetent. There are quite a few other factors that would take precedence over this one aspect of the program.

Some say the TO is a great equalizer for us. Perhaps / perhaps not. Since 2008 we have won 37% of our games vs. ugag, um, fsu, cu and vt. Can we do better? IDK. Have we lost 51 - 7 like chump Gailey did Twice. For sure not, but if we are not winning those games does it matter? I think so.

I do not think anyone will ever run this O with the same success CPJ has, So hiring someone simply because they run this O will lead to some bad experiences. Some say the academic environment is different now as compared to Ross / GO’L / Friedgen. Probably so, but how do we know the same shift will not apply to the next coach vs CPJ?

I believe running this O decreases our already limited recruiting pool, and without CPJ it will be worse.

Just believe it is folly, when the time comes, to hire a coach based on the O they would run

What he said. Briles made Baylor competitive in a similar recruiting situation. I do think the offense needs a little tweaking. We don't hold nearly enough like everyone else does.

Last edited:
What he said. Briles made Baylor competitive in a similar recruiting situation. I do think the offense needs a little tweaking. We don't hold nearly enough like everyone else does.

Not sure you should hold Briles up as a model for what we can do given what came out about all the sexual assaults and cover-ups that occurred there. If emulating him is what it takes for us to be competitive given our recruiting situation, I think most people would just choose not to be competitive.

Not sure you should hold Briles up as a model for what we can do given what came out about all the sexual assaults and cover-ups that occurred there. If emulating him is what it takes for us to be competitive given our recruiting situation, I think most people would just choose not to be competitive.
Not holding him up as a model. But he did turn them around. Also Paterson at TCU.

I think everyone who doesn't understand our offense thinks it is nothing but 3 yards a play and is incapable of long gains. We usually hit for big plays every game. TaQuan's long runs and Searcy's could have gone as long as needed. Taquan could still be running today if he wanted to.

I think only one of our touchdowns this past Saturday was from less than 40 yards. I know we had at least 3 that were 40+ yards.

Briles started with much lower academic restrictions and he still had to resort to despicable actions to temporarily develop a top ten program.
We have never recruited a physically outstanding traditional quarterback and it would be even tougher to recruit one now. All of our great quarterbacks were overachievers combined with a creative offensive scheme.

I was also being sarcastic about the 3rd and long. I can hardly watch 'boring offenses anymore. Love CPJs system - hope we have coaches from his tree in the future.

Don't be sarcastic about that. You hear it from the all-knowing announcers every game, "This offense isn't built for 3rd and long." I really think it's a weakness. We need an offense that tries to lose 2 to 3 yards on 1st and 2nd down, so we can get into some 3rd and 13 situations and really open things up like most other offenses. We're never going to be able to compete with the factories if we can't get consistently get into and out of the strategic 3rd and 15 down and distance.

Um, Briles' recruiting situation could not be more dissimilar. He had full reign at a *private* school to take any athlete that met the absolute minimal academic standard the Big 12 would tolerate, and we know from Kansas State that bar is very low. He had ample classes in which to hide these "student" (ahem) athletes. He was also allowed a lot of questionable character kids too. The only thing that is similar is maybe the recruiting rank pre-Briles.

I love the 3O and would be happy to see it stay after CPJ leaves/retires/dies/ascends to heaven. Actually, I think the college of engineering should set up a department completely dedicated to the triple option.

I'm talking advanced mathematics and machine learning to give us a decided schematic advantage. Quantum simulations of games, plays, and the most efficient way to take out a knee. There are also some deep, existential questions about the offense that haven't been answered:

-Is it always what it is?
-How many cut blocks does it take for spontaneous Frank Beamer combustion?
-Can it sometimes be better or worse than it seems?
-Vad Lee?
-We once thought atoms were indivisible. Are the dive, keeper, and pitch truly the fundamental particles of the offense, or can we split these and create a nuclear option?

I think this is an area where GT could really make a name for itself in both athletics and academics.

Last edited:
Back