The triple option 10 years later

I believe we need a "different" offense, but not necessarily the spread option. I would prefer something like the Oregon, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc. offenses that are different, but are very attractive to recruits. I really liked WF's offense, just with better personnel. The coach is more important than the style.

Um, Briles' recruiting situation could not be more dissimilar. He had full reign at a *private* school to take any athlete that met the absolute minimal academic standard the Big 12 would tolerate, and we know from Kansas State that bar is very low. He had ample classes in which to hide these "student" (ahem) athletes. He was also allowed a lot of questionable character kids too. The only thing that is similar is maybe the recruiting rank pre-Briles.

Um, Briles' recruiting situation could not be more dissimilar. He had full reign at a *private* school to take any athlete that met the absolute minimal academic standard the Big 12 would tolerate, and we know from Kansas State that bar is very low. He had ample classes in which to hide these "student" (ahem) athletes. He was also allowed a lot of questionable character kids too. The only thing that is similar is maybe the recruiting rank pre-Briles.

I don't think GT would or could recruit the kind of players Briles did at Baylor. Baylor has some criminal justice and P.E. degrees that are not very useful but keep some of the athletes eligible. I don't know the numbers but Baylor seemed to lose very few players to grades under Briles.

The 5 star Texas kids go to national blue bloods, Texas or Texas A&M. Baylor was getting a lot of good athlete questionable students/character. TCU takes the same kind of kids but Patterson reigns them in way better.

GT has had better athletes on defense than Baylor since 2008 especially in the secondary.

Johnson and Briles were hired the same year. Johnson won a New Years six bowl and Briles did not. Briles won a lot of games but he never had to face Georgia, Notre Dame or BYU in non conference. Baylor's loss at Duke this year was their toughest non conference game in a decade. Baylor also pumped $350,000,000 into football for Briles.

I would hate to see GT abandon the triple. It is a perfect fit and a thorn in the side of many DC's.

I don't think GT would or could recruit the kind of players Briles did at Baylor. Baylor has some criminal justice and P.E. degrees that are not very useful but keep some of the athletes eligible. I don't know the numbers but Baylor seemed to lose very few players to grades under Briles.

The 5 star Texas kids go to national blue bloods, Texas or Texas A&M. Baylor was getting a lot of good athlete questionable students/character. TCU takes the same kind of kids but Patterson reigns them in way better.

GT has had better athletes on defense than Baylor since 2008 especially in the secondary.

Johnson and Briles were hired the same year. Johnson won a New Years six bowl and Briles did not. Briles won a lot of games but he never had to face Georgia, Notre Dame or BYU in non conference. Baylor's loss at Duke this year was their toughest non conference game in a decade. Baylor also pumped $350,000,000 into football for Briles.

I would hate to see GT abandon the triple. It is a perfect fit and a thorn in the side of many DC's.

You are in serious contention for poster of the year. It’s nice to get an unbiased outsider’s perspective on our program. Hope you make it back for another game some time.

Back