This is PATHETIC... Look at KSU's roster

I swear people here will argue any point just to argue. Why try to defend/commend Synder this? What KSU does is take anyone and everyone's cast offs and non-qualifiers. They dont even try to pretend these guys are there for an education. At least KSU takes the illusion of "student" out of student athlete rather than pretend, I guess.

While within the rules, yes I will agree, but I disagree on the ethics. Since when is sacrificing all standards to win considered ethical? If KSU wants to sell their soul to the devil to win, fine. Just dont commend them for it.

I swear people here will argue any point just to argue. Why try to defend/commend Synder this? What KSU does is take anyone and everyone's cast offs and non-qualifiers. They dont even try to pretend these guys are there for an education. At least KSU takes the illusion of "student" out of student athlete rather than pretend, I guess.

While within the rules, yes I will agree, but I disagree on the ethics. Since when is sacrificing all standards to win considered ethical? If KSU wants to sell their soul to the devil to win, fine. Just dont commend them for it.

Sell their soul to the devil?

Again, I ask, how is society hurt by these 25 or 30 kids getting an education on a campus of 20,000+?

Kind of sad seeing the animosity grown "men" direct at 18 to 20 year olds.

Sell their soul to the devil?

Again, I ask, how is society hurt by these 25 or 30 kids getting an education on a campus of 20,000+?

Kind of sad seeing the animosity grown "men" direct at 18 to 20 year olds.

Call it an education if you want. Unless they make the NFL, I guarantee you those 25 or 30 saved souls will be back home doing what they did before they got their "education" after they're done playing football. Maybe 1 or 2 will actually take advantage of the opportunity.

By the way, KSU doesnt have the secret sauce to attract these strays and vagabonds. Any other team in the USA, including our beloved Tech, would take them in if they thought they could handle it academically or weren't some sort of other risk (e.g. HS felon). KSU has decided the rewards outweigh the risks, thus the "selling their souls" statement. It's not venomous, just more pragmatic observation.

are you dumb or do you have reading comprehension problems? sentence is fine

The sentence isn't fine, "anyone" is the subject and your verb choice is "are." You have poor subject-verb agreement. Also, describing anyone, you use "that" when the antecedent is clearly a person, therefore "that" should be "who." Finally, you use "themselves" primarily due to the subject-verb agreement. I think it's safe to avoid "PC issues" and just proceed with "himself" here since you state "a sad joke of a man."

If dealing with femi-nazis you could add the "or herself" and "or woman."

And I think anyone who implies that "the joke is on us" for not maintaining a football factory is himself a sad joke of a man.

Bill Snyder is clearly the greatest coach in history, since he's convinced the world he's "doing it the right way."

Call it an education if you want. Unless they make the NFL, I guarantee you those 25 or 30 saved souls will be back home doing what they did before they got their "education" after they're done playing football. Maybe 1 or 2 will actually take advantage of the opportunity.

How is that different from schools that attract more athletes directly than by transfer like Bama or LSU? The higher percentage that make it to the NFL? Granted, more will make it to the NFL from those schools, but the majority still will not.

Because it's basically a mockery of what college athletics SHOULD be.

But, I think you're missing the part where I'm saying they're playing by the rules as they exist, so good for them for using that to their advantage.

What KSU is doing is a shadow of the embarrassment that Kentucky basketball put on the NCAA. At least the juco guys will finish their sports career with at least a year of school under their belt.

Now I understand what you meant.

I kinda agree. Bud is doing to GT what MIT went through in the 1920s - namely a conversion from engineering to science based curriculum.

I don't know how it will pan out, but one thing is sure from what I have heard: Bud is here to stay and might be around for decades.

"I'm not going to be doing this 20 years from now." - BPeterson

So...you are wrong. BUT, he could be around a while to point Tech away from certain aspects of engineering and gear it more towards research; which I believe is already happening.

So...you are wrong. BUT, he could be around a while to point Tech away from certain aspects of engineering and gear it more towards research; which I believe is already happening.

Yep. Seems like he's trying to make us go from being a practical engineering school like VPISU and NCSU to being a research engineering school like CalTech and MIT.

I don't really have any objection to it.

Even if I bought your 2% or 4% success rate, which I don't, what's the skin off your nose? Isn't it better for everyone that at least 1 took advantage of the opportunity? It's not like these guys are collectively paying their own way.

Maybe having played D1 and served in the military gives me a different perspective, but I've seen lots of "troubled youth" turn things around when given the opportunity.

This shift started before Bud.

Even if I bought your 2% or 4% success rate, which I don't, what's the skin off your nose? Isn't it better for everyone that at least 1 took advantage of the opportunity? It's not like these guys are collectively paying their own way.

Maybe having played D1 and served in the military gives me a different perspective, but I've seen lots of "troubled youth" turn things around when given the opportunity.

Since you played D1 I respect your informed opinion. There really isnt any problem with this other than they arent true students. Some can barely read and write and have no business in college. If they made sports/football a fine art, then I guess you could call them a real student, no different than a singer or dancer majoring in fine arts.

I suppose my biggest frustration is this creates an uneven playing field, unfairly leveled towards those willing to create fake classes that pass these guys through. Some really are illiterate. If you ever read Leonard Pope's web page assignment from a few years ago, you know what I mean.

Since you played D1 I respect your informed opinion. There really isnt any problem with this other than they arent true students. Some can barely read and write and have no business in college. If they made sports/football a fine art, then I guess you could call them a real student, no different than a singer or dancer majoring in fine arts.

I suppose my biggest frustration is this creates an uneven playing field, unfairly leveled towards those willing to create fake classes that pass these guys through. Some really are illiterate. If you ever read Leonard Pope's web page assignment from a few years ago, you know what I mean.
The only problem I have with that equation is that singers and dancers are usually not illiterate.

At the very least there should be a degree in "personal training." Most of these guys know a ton about that already. Why not give them a useful degree, get them literate, teach them how to balance their finances and let them get a job in a gym if they don't make the NFL.

The only problem I have with that equation is that singers and dancers are usually not illiterate.

At the very least there should be a degree in "personal training." Most of these guys know a ton about that already. Why not give them a useful degree, get them literate, teach them how to balance their finances and let them get a job in a gym if they don't make the NFL.

It's called Exercise Science, I know a lot of schools offer it. Exercise Science, hmmm, sounds like we could offer it. We could be the best at it.

Look who does offer it, http://www.coe.uga.edu/kinesiology/

Yep. Seems like he's trying to make us go from being a practical engineering school like VPISU and NCSU to being a research engineering school like CalTech and MIT.

I don't really have any objection to it.

I think the point was that someone else could have handled this job better. Like a dean or provost from MIT or CIT.

Tech is already the #2 in total research$ research university in the country, i do believe (and highest in per faculty and/or per student i think)

Bud Peterson went to "East Bumble CC" (Kansas State) and was a wide receiver for 4 years. Look where he is now.

Trying to start a law school at GT?

If you go to any reasonably ok school you can go quite far with a few breaks and hard work.

Back