This is PATHETIC... Look at KSU's roster

What's funny is I heard Bud Peterson singing Coach Snyder's praises the other day.

LOL

I had no idea that KSU had 25 JUCO's so I seriously doubt Peterson did either.

We can't have hardly any transfers for a multitude of reasons, namely The Hill and transferrable credits. AJ Suggs told me when he transferred to Tech from Tennessee that he had 30 hours completed. He then asked me "wanna guess how many hours of credit were transferrable?" He said "three".

***edited to say Peterson may well be aware of this considering he played ball there many moons ago.

And he has his name on an NCAA violation report to show he's serious about football.

And to the extent "synder does it right," let us not forget that the following coaches all "did it right": Joe Paterno, Urban Meyer, Lou Holthz, and Jim Tressel. Which lists he belongs on is not something that can be determined by media reports or how many JUCO guys he's got on his roster.

Now I understand what you meant.

I kinda agree. Bud is doing to GT what MIT went through in the 1920s - namely a conversion from engineering to science based curriculum.

I don't know how it will pan out, but one thing is sure from what I have heard: Bud is here to stay and might be around for decades.

No. Wayne Clough already DID that. And the guy before him started that, and got fired for it.

Bud is trying to start a law school at GT, which is to say, he's actively fighting that change whether he knows it or not. If you are actively fighting to make GT more like cal tech and MIT---you could drop the sports program for starters. You don't start a law school. You build world class medical research facilities (who needs a med school if you have medical research $$$$?).

I doubt he'll be here for decades. College presidents, even the great ones, don't last that long these days. And starting a law school is just idiotic (1. too many law schools, 2. law school will be tier IV, at best, 3. would take a full half century to compete with U[sic]GA, GA State, or Emory.)

GT is in a unique position with Emory (thanks to Clough) and may be able to develop real research $$$ for medical research without having to have a med school. If we aren't taking advantage of that . . .

Tech already partnered with Emory and CHOA to donate $10 million to build a pediatric research facility. We're taking advantage of it, it's just that no one hears about it really. Kind of under the radar.

No. Wayne Clough already DID that. And the guy before him started that, and got fired for it.

Bud is trying to start a law school at GT, which is to say, he's actively fighting that change whether he knows it or not. If you are actively fighting to make GT more like cal tech and MIT---you could drop the sports program for starters. You don't start a law school. You build world class medical research facilities (who needs a med school if you have medical research $$$$?).

I doubt he'll be here for decades. College presidents, even the great ones, don't last that long these days. And starting a law school is just idiotic (1. too many law schools, 2. law school will be tier IV, at best, 3. would take a full half century to compete with U[sic]GA, GA State, or Emory.)

GT is in a unique position with Emory (thanks to Clough) and may be able to develop real research $$$ for medical research without having to have a med school. If we aren't taking advantage of that . . .

After leaving Georgia Tech I realized that our administration has no real plan or roadmap to take GT to the same level as MIT or Caltech. There is literally no plan at all - about what is intended, what is being done and what is the goal. It is kinda ridiculous.

Caltech is completely different. It has a different aura and exudes an atmosphere that is unmistakably research oriented.

USNews research rankings are quite meaningless. It is my opinion that GT can never be Caltech or MIT unless we commit serious resources and time towards that direction - something we clearly cannot afford at the moment and give no indication of being able to afford in the near future.

I just hope that we are not left in limbo - a mediocre science and mediocre engineering institute. Better to be good at one.

Kansas State... Just want to point a few things out:

The K-State acceptance rate is 98.9%
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/kansas-state-university-1928

University of Phoenix has an acceptance rate of 98.3%
http://www.eduers.com/University/Arizona/University_of_Phoenix.html

In other words, it is easier to get into K-State than For Profit University of Phoenix Where Credits May Not Transfer...

Oh, and Bill Snyder single-handedly caused the NCAA to rewrite JC transfer rules once already in his first tenure. He was actually worse about this than he is today.

There's no rule-breaking in any of this, but there isn't anything to be proud of. I am not a fan of K-State.

People looking at Tech from an inside perspective killed Crecine for for starting this initiative. However, if you talk to those from outside the Tech community, they'll tell you that his actions had profound positive impact on the national reputation of the school. Love him or hate him, Crecine started Tech on the road from a regional engineering university to a nationally respected research institute.

This is what PATHETIC really looks like:

LINK: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064531/1/index.htm

Including these gems:

Referring to Georgia athletes, UGA President Fred Davison also said: "If they leave us being able to read, write, communicate better, we simply have not done them any damage."

Asked if the standards were lower for revenue-producing athletes because they made money for the school, Davison said, "If you want to ask me if they have utilitarian effect to the university, certainly they do."

O. Hale Almand Jr., a lawyer for the defense, offered a justification for the favorable treatment accorded the athletes, citing a hypothetical player. “We may not make a university student out of him,” he told the jury, “but if we can teach him to read and write, maybe he can work at the post office rather than as a garbageman when he gets through with his athletic career.”

Back