This loss is on the ACC refs

learn the game.....those calls were spot on. Those holds on the TD.... I guess they got it wrong. It was more like a Waltz mixed with Swing....so maybe we got off easy with 10 yds
Did you happen to see this play? Look familiar?

How about any of these?

And nobody's even mentioned the fact that this dude was lined up completely offsides on the pick 6 play. Should've been 1st and 5 for GT, instead it's 7 for Pitt.

I agree ACC officials suck....there's no question there. But they didn't cost us this game..... the fact that we gang tackle with 4-6 and can't bring someone down. The fact that we arm tackle and don't wrap up cost us. The fact that our def hasn't been a factor since Tenuta is an issue and it wasn't all that then. The fact that we were guilty of the same things....cost us. You can't control other teams or refs....if you give them a chance to decide the fate...you're doomed. Because we don't have the depth or talent to "take it to the limit" and make refs call it. We see how that's working

Did you happen to see this play? Look familiar?

How about any of these?

And nobody's even mentioned the fact that this dude was lined up completely offsides on the pick 6 play. Should've been 1st and 5 for GT, instead it's 7 for Pitt.

Thank you for posting these. There are more than this that I saw it right in front of me but according to some the need to call out the coaching staff blinds them to the ööööed officiating all game.

I agree ACC officials suck....there's no question there. But they didn't cost us this game..... the fact that we gang tackle with 4-6 and can't bring someone down. The fact that we arm tackle and don't wrap up cost us. The fact that our def hasn't been a factor since Tenuta is an issue and it wasn't all that then. The fact that we were guilty of the same things....cost us. You can't control other teams or refs....if you give them a chance to decide the fate...you're doomed. Because we don't have the depth or talent to "take it to the limit" and make refs call it. We see how that's working
I do agree we didn't play well enough to win, but my point remains that we should not be expected to play against our opponent AND the officials week in and week out and it surely seems so. Be sh!tty all you want, but be sh!tty both ways. Show me in this game anywhere we benefited from terrible officiating. I can show you probably ten times where Pitt did, and that does not even include the holds or the punt return TD since they were presumably called correctly (I don't agree with the Malachi Carter hold though, that is textbook blocking by a WR).

Last edited:
Thank you for posting these. There are more than this that I saw it right in front of me but according to some the need to call out the coaching staff blinds them to the ööööed officiating all game.
This hold up top by #77 on Ivey I believe it was happened on a 48 yard pass play to the 11 that led to a TD very next play to make the score 21-7:

HEzjkqC.png

And then this one looks like #77 again (probably on Ivey again) allows Pickett to throw a 17 yard pass, leading to a TD very next play making it 28-7.

eJf5nBe.png

#77 did this all game and never once got flagged for it. Marco Coleman was livid. I know one other critical time was on either a 3rd or 4th down conversion on another drive that Pitt scored, but the only replay I found online is missing some of Pitts offensive possessions.

I do agree we didn't play well enough to win, but my point remains that we should not be expected to play against our opponent AND the officials week in and week out and it surely seems so. Be sh!tty all you want, but be sh!tty both ways. Show me in this game anywhere we benefited from terrible officiating. I can show you probably ten times where Pitt did, and that does not even include the holds or the punt return TD since they were presumably called correctly (I don't agree with the Malachi Carter hold though, that is textbook blocking by a WR).

Row 4, Column 5.

Also, I'm not advocating for more replay stoppages, but why aren't plays that are 100% objective reviewable? Like offsides, false start, etc.? I mean if they're going to slow the game down to verify catches that clearly are catches, why not verify that a guy was lined up offsides on a play that had a major influence on the game?

Also, I'm not advocating for more replay stoppages, but why aren't plays that are 100% objective reviewable? Like offsides, false start, etc.? I mean if they're going to slow the game down to verify catches that clearly are catches, why not verify that a guy was lined up offsides on a play that had a major influence on the game?
In searching for a perfectly officiated Game, it would drag on and be unwatchable and worthless to the TV Execs.

The key is to find a balance between accurate officiating and speed of play - watchability on TV.

I get your point. Malachi was tough.... but if I recall at one point it became obvious he was when he physically turned him. That's textbook...but I was too busy laughin in disgust to remember that far back. But yes, they definitely benefited more. Most teams that are physical and are favorites somehow seem to benefit from it though. That in my opinion goes to coaching.....you either let it defeat you or you keep pushing. It's like we expect the bad call to cost us..... the last time I really saw that happen was R Houston on B Quinn at BDS..... but same could be argued. Don't put yourself in a spot where the ref controls the outcome

But I'm old school.

I definitely saw some questionable officiating… but end of the the day the game wasn’t close enough to blame the outcome on the refs.

This is the third ööööing week they’ve been ööööing us with calls. Two bullshit holding calls on two touchdowns. Over 8 holding calls I counted that they didn’t call on Pitt offense. How the öööö are we gonna get anything done if we’re playing against these teams and the refs?

It's pretty obvious Pitt didn't need any help from the refs to blow Tech out Saturday. UNC fans are absolutely positive the refs cost them their game though.

The holding by Pitt’s OL was constant and as bad as I’ve ever seen. Pulled jerseys all over the place. It is smart to learn to hold on the inside of the frame. What Pitt did was basically: we are going to hold until they call it and if they don’t then we will continue. Once they call a few, then we will adjust. They did not have to adjust.

Pitt had probably 50 holds worse than Carter’s on that TD run by Gibbs. But the defender sold it and it was in space.

There is holding on every play, and usually many other missed/50-50 calls throughout the game too. People tend to focus only on the missed calls against their team. Therefore pretty much every team that loses a game thinks it was lost because of the officials.

In this thread we've basically called out two holding calls that went against Tech and then picked out a bunch of missed ones against Pitt -- but you could almost certainly screencap just as many missed ones against Tech too if you wanted to.

There is holding on every play, and usually many other missed/50-50 calls throughout the game too. People tend to focus only on the missed calls against their team. Therefore pretty much every team that loses a game thinks it was lost because of the officials.

In this thread we've basically called out two holding calls that went against Tech and then picked out a bunch of missed ones against Pitt -- but you could almost certainly screencap just as many missed ones against Tech too if you wanted to.
I get that. I mean I don't get UNC fans being positive the refs helped us win that game. That game was biased even more heavily against us by officiating than this one. They did everything they could to help UNC. They reviewed nearly every positive play we had.

And the 2nd part I disagree with. I seriously doubt you could find as many missed holds on us. Not only because they weren't there, but because we didn't block anybody, much less hold them.

Finally someone said it
I get that. I mean I don't get UNC fans being positive the refs helped us win that game. That game was biased even more heavily against us by officiating than this one. They did everything they could to help UNC. They reviewed nearly every positive play we had.

And the 2nd part I disagree with. I seriously doubt you could find as many missed holds on us. Not only because they weren't there, but because we didn't block anybody, much less hold them.
And when we got the chance to Hold.....we turned it into Dancing with the Stars

I'm old school too and this has always been my philosophy but man it seems sometimes that it's extremely lopsided not in our favor.
Because we're only focusing on the ones they miss that would benefit us. Trust me.... just another thing to add to the list that we need to get better at to keep up with our opposition. If it's always bad calls and refs switch..... it's probably not the calls

Back