This loss is on the ACC refs

I think this loss is on the coaches.
I'd say the loss is
40% on coaches
60% on Pitt being bigger, stronger, more experienced than us. They just whipped us up front

I think Pitt worked on their RPO defense and our blocking was horrible. W Michigan held the ball over 40 minutes and frustrated Pitt and won by 3. Pitt still scored 41 points in 20 minutes against W. Michigan. I really had hoped our coaches would be able to run Gibbs, Sims, Smith, and Mason and have McGowan (who was out) keeping them honest. Having Cooper out at LG hurt terribly because he managed to help cover for how badly our LT has been at times.

Our OL is a frightening train wreck. I think we will have to either have huge leaps in the off season with our existing OL or we will need 2 more grad transfers.

I'd say the loss is
40% on coaches
60% on Pitt being bigger, stronger, more experienced than us. They just whipped us up front

I think Pitt worked on their RPO defense and our blocking was horrible. W Michigan held the ball over 40 minutes and frustrated Pitt and won by 3. Pitt still scored 41 points in 20 minutes against W. Michigan. I really had hoped our coaches would be able to run Gibbs, Sims, Smith, and Mason and have McGowan (who was out) keeping them honest. Having Cooper out at LG hurt terribly because he managed to help cover for how badly our LT has been at times.

Our OL is a frightening train wreck. I think we will have to either have huge leaps in the off season with our existing OL or we will need 2 more grad transfers.
We ran a 3-3-5 against a two tight end or two running back set all game. They ran a 4-3 set all game. Which team got more pressure?

Also, our DBs are
Thomas Jr.
Carpenter Sr.
Swilling RS-Jr.
Oliver RS-Jr.
King RS-So.
and with the covid year, that makes them all 4 year or longer players, and they got burnt all game long. Our front 7 (or actually front 6) isn't as young as we make them out to be as they are all RS-So. or higher.
Edit: Ivey is our only underclassman we play regularly

They could call a WR hold on almost any running play. They selectively enforce it.
There's a huge difference in masking it under the shoulder pads and basically spinning and dancing.....we did the latter

Hell the entire fan base went bananas about a targeting call that wasn't targeting at all...... It was Football as it's designed to be played

Hell the entire fan base went bananas about a targeting call that wasn't targeting at all...... It was Football as it's designed to be played
Well, there was a targeting play a couple plays earlier from whoever number 21 on Pitt is when he hit Sims down around the 4 or 5

I’ve always wondered why our Teams are so poor at cheating. Everyone else holds like crazy and GT tries to play clean. Just hold like everybody else and quit the ööööing whining.

Did you miss our two TDs called back for holding and also half the posts in this thread?

Well, there was a targeting play a couple plays earlier from whoever number 21 on Pitt is when he hit Sims down around the 4 or 5
That was a close one. The refs this season seem to be backing off confirming targeting calls. Seemed like before they leaned towards the call on the field. Now they seem to lean towards not ejecting the defender

That was a close one. The refs this season seem to be backing off confirming targeting calls. Seemed like before they leaned towards the call on the field. Now they seem to lean towards not ejecting the defender

I think they've actually found a good balance this season. Probably a mix of them dialing back the calls a bit and players learning to adapt how they hit (which is why they put the rule in in the first place.)

The targeting rule needs to go. Its just too arbitrary. If you overrule the targeting call on the field you should still enforce unnecessary roughness, not let the goon go completely free.

We abandoned our 2 back strategy for most of the game Saturday. That extra back would have helped blocking on those early game hurries.

I think they've actually found a good balance this season. Probably a mix of them dialing back the calls a bit and players learning to adapt how they hit (which is why they put the rule in in the first place.)

I admittedly don't watch much of any college football outside of GT. However, I don't see the balance when I still can't believe that the UNC defender wasn't ejected immediately, when he led with the crown of the helmet and launched himself into the WR (and of course, bizarrely, the penalty was overturned completely).

I admittedly don't watch much of any college football outside of GT. However, I don't see the balance when I still can't believe that the UNC defender wasn't ejected immediately, when he led with the crown of the helmet and launched himself into the WR (and of course, bizarrely, the penalty was overturned completely).

Have to agree there. That was a textbook targeting and I was shocked when it was overturned.

UNC was one of the rare games where we had legitimate reason to be very upset at officials and wonder if a fix was in. Many egregious calls/no-calls which went against us. Had we not won the board definitely would have been in a justifiable rage.

I watched the replay in the stadium 15 times, and it looked like a clean hit on Gibbs. The defender didn’t “launch,” he barely even leaned into him. He didn’t lead with the crown, it was more of a shoulder and arm hit with some incidental helmet to helmet contact. Gibbs hopped right up, so it wasn’t like he was injured from the hit.

It looked bad in real time, so they reviewed it at length and found that it was a good, clean hit. That’s how it should work.

Edit: just realized you were talking about UNC and not Pitt. I was talking about the Pitt game. My bad - carry on. :-)

JRjr

UNC was one of the rare games where we had legitimate reason to be very upset at officials and wonder if a fix was in. Many egregious calls/no-calls which went against us. Had we not won the board definitely would have been in a justifiable rage.

When the best defense for officiating is that they are grossly incompetent at their jobs, that's not a good look. When no such calls went the other way, it is hard to deny that there wasn't an agenda at work.

The ACC should be ashamed that the officiating is so piss poor and do something about it. Firing/suspending some of these geezers running around and ruining games would be a good start. Clearly, there does not seem to be any meaningful review of the officials after a game or season and the league keeps trotting the same corrupt clowns out there.

Well I don't know if the refs really sucked so much that the game would have been all that different. In fact I would love to have our games close enough that I feel I could complain about them making an impact.

However, I did notice they had a split-tail on the field and they even put an F on the back of her jersey so we would know its a female. What pisses me off is she should be at home doing laundry and baking pies instead of calling penalties on my YellowJackets.
She was the best official out there.

Did you miss our two TDs called back for holding and also half the posts in this thread?
When the best defense for officiating is that they are grossly incompetent at their jobs, that's not a good look. When no such calls went the other way, it is hard to deny that there wasn't an agenda at work.

The ACC should be ashamed that the officiating is so piss poor and do something about it. Firing/suspending some of these geezers running around and ruining games would be a good start. Clearly, there does not seem to be any meaningful review of the officials after a game or season and the league keeps trotting the same corrupt clowns out there.

Row 4, Column 5. At least half the posts on this thread.

She called a penalty on Gibbs for something he did three years ago in high school.
Tell me when it was and I will check it out. I haven't finished looking at it and, apparently, some of the plays I wanted to view are not in my recording because my TV kept the "due to time constraints....." version. I have been trying to find one of their illegal formations which was never called. Well, it was either not enough players on the line or ineligible down field. Several times they had three wide on the same side (front foot at the exact same yard-line) and all three went downfield. That in and of itself is not illegal if they were all on the line but the second the qb threw the ball downfield, the officials should have been blowing the pea out of the whistle and bringing plays back. There were several times that a linesman (instead of holding his fist toward the backfield to indicate that he had one in the backfield) was waving his arm but not throwing flags. It's hard to verify because the camera was panned in too closely and the game score covers the bottom of the screen. You actually see a lot more at the game. My brother watched it at home and apparently they never mentioned Marco Coleman's threat to the official and Collins calming him down.

Tell me when it was and I will check it out. I haven't finished looking at it and, apparently, some of the plays I wanted to view are not in my recording because my TV kept the "due to time constraints....." version. I have been trying to find one of their illegal formations which was never called. Well, it was either not enough players on the line or ineligible down field. Several times they had three wide on the same side (front foot at the exact same yard-line) and all three went downfield. That in and of itself is not illegal if they were all on the line but the second the qb threw the ball downfield, the officials should have been blowing the pea out of the whistle and bringing plays back. There were several times that a linesman (instead of holding his fist toward the backfield to indicate that he had one in the backfield) was waving his arm but not throwing flags. It's hard to verify because the camera was panned in too closely and the game score covers the bottom of the screen. You actually see a lot more at the game. My brother watched it at home and apparently they never mentioned Marco Coleman's threat to the official and Collins calming him down.
Notsureifsrs.jpg

Back