Thursday Bowls

I don't know anything about this "immediate action" rule the announcers we're talking about.

It was a rule put into place so that an inadvertent whistle couldn't stop a play and allowed the replay booth to diagnose whether a runner was down, timing of fumble, etc. If in those situations the opposing team was to "immediately" recover the ball, the replay booth could award them possession.

Now, immediately can be highly subjective but I'm at a loss how you don't consider that immediate.

I think this is the rule, but not sure. I guess the last bullet would be the by-rule enforcement of the penalty.

1. Inadvertent whistle:
    • if in player possession, team may take ball at spot where blown dead or replay the down
    • if loose from fumble or backward pass, team may take ball where possession was lost or replay the down
    • if during forward pass or kick, replay down
    • if foul or violation occurs during any down, the penalty or violation shall be administered

I think this is the rule, but not sure...

1. Inadvertent whistle:
    • if in player possession, team may take ball at spot where blown dead or replay the down
    • if loose from fumble or backward pass, team may take ball where possession was lost or replay the down
    • if during forward pass or kick, replay down
    • if foul or violation occurs during any down, the penalty or violation shall be administered

My god. What a massive loophole.

Which do you assess bullet #2 or #4? That needs to be closed.

Fuente's halftime remarks "we didn't play well, we need to come out in the 2nd half and play Hokie football." Seems as if he hasn't been there long enough to realize ööööting the bed in the postseason is Hokie football :lol2:.

Is a punt considered a kick in bullet 3? If so, I guess 3 and 4 apply and 2 doesn't matter? I dunno, it's a mess. Surprised they didn't get both coaches together to discuss instead of standing there with one guy.

Luckily, VPI is sucking so bad it doesn't matter.

JRjr

Is a punt considered a kick in bullet 3? If so, I guess 3 and 4 apply and 2 doesn't matter? I dunno, it's a mess. Surprised they didn't get both coaches together to discuss instead of standing there with one guy.

Luckily, VPI is sucking so bad it doesn't matter.

JRjr

2 doesn't apply because there was no fumble or backwards pass. No possession was established so there was no fumble. If VT had fielded the punt and then fumbles and there was the same inadvertent whistle then it would be VT ball at the point where he fumbles minus the penalty yardage. But since he just muffed the punt there's nobody to give possession to, hence the rekick.

My god. What a massive loophole.

Which do you assess bullet #2 or #4? That needs to be closed.

I don't see a loophole there. 4 applies to all the bulletpoints. Whether you elect to replay the down or not the penalty yardage is assessed.

I missed the goofy play. It online somewhere?

I haven't looked. I'm sure it'll be on there soon.

Imagine...

Arkansas punting to VT.
Hold at the line on VT.
VT muffs it.
Arkansas appears to have easy recovery.
Inadvertent whistle.
Arkansas never gains possession.
VT with immediate recovery.

Ruling: Arkansas ball. Penalty assessed from previous spot (original LOS).

giphy.gif

I haven't looked. I'm sure it'll be on there soon.

Imagine...

Arkansas punting to VT.
Hold at the line on VT.
VT muffs it.
Arkansas appears to have easy recovery.
Inadvertent whistle.
Arkansas never gains possession.
VT with immediate recovery.

Ruling: Arkansas ball. Penalty assessed from previous spot (original LOS).

Adding to the confusion, from the initial camera angle (and probably the POV of the coaches and officials), it really did look like Arkansas had an easy recovery until the ball suddenly appeared in a VPI player's hands half a second after the whistle. The fact that they did two rounds of review (review, announce, talk to Arkansas coach, review again) made it all even more confusing.

JRjr

Back