Travis Custis and JHD ineligible for 2014 season

Somebody from the staff should be checking to make sure all the players are in class. That happens at every school. So skipping shouldn't happen.

They used to in 2007, I remember... Not so sure about other years I was at Tech. I had a horrifically boring database class in 2008 or 2009 full of players of different sports and they were pretty good about getting each other to class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like that kind of parental standard is refreshingly common among our athletes.
Quite a contrast from Jameis Winston's parents that want FSU to provide a handler for him 24/7 "because he is a Heisman Trophy winner"

Quite a contrast from Jameis Winston's parents that want FSU to provide a handler for him 24/7 "because he is a Heisman Trophy winner"

Could this be the last part of the quote that was left out?

"and because he is as dumb as a box of rocks"

Just sayin':lol:

Come this way, Jameis...

c'mon now..

14197936503_28cc549344.jpg

gawd he's bow legged.

No worries, I still have 4 years elibility if they let me in graduate school.

Looks like there is no progress on a replacement for JHD:

KeShun Freeman looks to be the likely stand in by virtue of being the only one on roster to do it.

With Georgia Tech defensive end Jabari Hunt-Days out of the picture for the 2014 season due to academic ineligibility, the Yellow Jackets will likely look to two players to take his spot at the rush-end position.
Early-enrollee freshman KeShun Freeman impressed during spring practice and was praised more than once by coach Paul Johnson for his playmaking.
“I think KeShun’s done well all spring,” he said during the spring. “He’s played good all spring, in my mind. He stood out to me from the first time we played, just motor and feed and that kind of thing.”
Safety Jamal Golden noticed how quickly Freeman picked up the defense and was able to play fast.
“He’s just a baller,” Golden said. “Just making plays when the ball’s around him.”
Whitehead is finishing up at Georgia Military College, where he has spent the past year after leaving N.C. State. Whitehead, you may remember, was the No. 25 defensive end (according to Rivals) in the 2012 signing class out of M.L. King High in Lithonia.
Whitehead remains on track to graduate from GMC. He’ll have to earn his associates degree before he can transfer to Tech. Whitehead had to accelerate his schedule in order to graduate at the end of summer and be eligible to transfer in time to play in the fall.
“He does have an overfull load, frankly,” GMC coach Bert Williams said. “So far, he has made the progress he’s needed to do. He’s just got a lot of work. He’s pressing pretty hard.”
According to the school’s website, classes for the summer term end Aug. 5 and grades are turned in Aug. 7. Assuming he would need to wait until that point before he could enroll at Tech and begin practicing, he would join Tech’s preseason practices about a week after they began. The team opened the preseason Aug. 1 last season.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/05/15/without-hunt-days-techs-options-at-rush-end/

CPJ on the situation:

"We’ve got Kenderius Whitehead that we recruited for that position," Johnson said. "There’s going to be some competition in camp and I’m just really disappointed for Jabari. But we’ll have a guy to step up and play I don’t have a doubt we’ll put a guy in there. (KeShun Freeman) had a great spring and there’s other guys that can rotate and move around so we’ll sit down as a staff and figure it out."

As for Hunt-Days' future with the program, Johnson said, "That’s up to him. I think when you don’t fulfill your side of the obligation, then you have to suffer the consequences. It’s disappointing for him and his family. I know he’s disappointed."

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/70365/cpj-disappointed-for-hunt-days

Looks like there is no progress on a replacement for JHD:

KeShun Freeman looks to be the likely stand in by virtue of being the only one on roster to do it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/70365/cpj-disappointed-for-hunt-days

Not much progress you can make when its the offseason. :biggrin:

We have Keshun Freeman, Kenderious Whitehead, Travin Henry, and Antonio Simmons at that spot next year. The coaches are actually really high on Simmons and Freeman...so this will be interesting. Its never good to be counting on true freshmen.

The other option could be sliding Gamble out to SDE and moving a Stargel or Chungong to WDE...although that is less likely. Merriweather could also get a strong look at SDE freeing up some people.

I do not see Menocal or Cheeks getting much DE action next year...but I have been surprise before.

Lots of DE's...just have to see who steps up.

Custis going to JuCo in Kansas

Former Georgia Tech B-back Travis Custis will transfer to Hutchinson (Kansas) Community College instead of his original plan to transfer to Georgia Military College, according to multiple Internet reports. Custis left Tech at the end of the semester due to an academic eligibility issue.
GMC coach Bert Williams said he learned of Custis’ change in decision from Tech coach Paul Johnson. Williams knew only that Custis was transferring to a school in Kansas.
“Sharing the backfield with another highly decorated guy is probably part of it,” Williams said.
GMC running back Jovon Robinson is considered the No. 1 prospect in junior college. Robinson is committed to Auburn.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/reports-custis-transferring-to-hutchinson/nfyRG/

Back