Travis Custis

The best HS highlight tape I ever saw was of Noel Devine and his career at WV went downhill every year, to say nothing of walking out of the Eagles NFL camp and ending up trying his hand (not so well) in the CFL ...... tape alone is something that just can't be wholly relied on!

I've never seen any HS tape that could compare to Reggie Bush and Jadaveon Clowney.

I will never open my big mouth again about RB recruiting film after all the blabbing I did after watching Perkins' HS highlight reels. When he gets here and steamrolls UGa's DL I'll shout it out but not before.

I thought Attaouchu and Perkin's tape were the best out of that time span.

I literally cannot believe what a bust Perkins has become. It's nuts.

I guess I'm not ready to say Perkins is a bust yet, but I'm close. Even beyond the fact that he hasn't worked his way up the chart, I haven't heard anything about him wowing anyone at practice

In a way, though, I'm kinda relieved that the predictions about running backs are as inexact as they are. Almost every year UGA signs the biggest high school name in the state. Most of them turn into good but not great college backs. If recruiting ratings for running backs were a sure thing they might look like Alabama these days.

I guess I'm not ready to say Perkins is a bust yet, but I'm close. Even beyond the fact that he hasn't worked his way up the chart, I haven't heard anything about him wowing anyone at practice

In a way, though, I'm kinda relieved that the predictions about running backs are as inexact as they are. Almost every year UGA signs the biggest high school name in the state. Most of them turn into good but not great college backs. If recruiting ratings for running backs were a sure thing they might look like Alabama these days.

Umm.... I see your point about guys like Caleb King, but they looked a hell of a lot like Alabama in the SEC championship game and Gurley and Marshall are legit. Their entire OL is coming back. If Murray stays that offense will be one of the best in the country.

pretty sure perkins has been injured most of the year.

Really? Do you watch UGA games or is your hatred too strong to make an objective statement?

Please name those RB's. Caleb King was a bust (even though he ran all over us), other than that who wasn't as good as advertised? Crowell was really good but he was just an idiot. Richt got rid of him because he had two studs on the way. Marshall and Gurley are ridiculous. Moreno was one of the best in the nation. Washaun Ealey was a really good college back but he didn't have a lot of expectations. So 5 out of their last 6 main RB's were as good as advertised.

I'd take the kind of talent UGA gets any day of the week. They're highly touted because most turn out to be as good as advertised.

Really? Do you watch UGA games or is your hatred too strong to make an objective statement?

Please name those RB's. Caleb King was a bust (even though he ran all over us), other than that who wasn't as good as advertised? Crowell was really good but he was just an idiot. Richt got rid of him because he had two studs on the way. Marshall and Gurley are ridiculous. Moreno was one of the best in the nation. Washaun Ealey was a really good college back but he didn't have a lot of expectations. So 5 out of their last 6 main RB's were as good as advertised.

Richard Samuel was the top rb in the state his senior year. Underachieved.

Washaun Ealey was a bigtime back out of Emmanuel County Inst. HS ranking was similar to Knowshow Moreno. Underachieved.

Caleb King was ranked ahead of Dwyer. Couldn't pass the HS graduation test, so he transferred to a private school. Underachieved.

Isaiah Crowell. Gone.

Gurley and Marshall are legit.

UGAy has had more busts at rb in the last 10 years than most schools.

As I remember watching Perkins tape it seems the highlights were of a back in a standing up position getting the ball with his team in either a one-back or I formation. Moving to a setup as a B-back, hand down, fairly close to line of scrimmage, is a whole new ball game. I would have liked to see him try A-back, because I do not see him getting many carries in the future as a B-back. He would be a much better tailback than Sims or Laskey, but he's not in their league as a B-back.

As I remember watching Perkins tape it seems the highlights were of a back in a standing up position getting the ball with his team in either a one-back or I formation. Moving to a setup as a B-back, hand down, fairly close to line of scrimmage, is a whole new ball game. I would have liked to see him try A-back, because I do not see him getting many carries in the future as a B-back. He would be a much better tailback than Sims or Laskey, but he's not in their league as a B-back.

IDK man. The exciting parts of Perkins's film were his power-style (run through you) and great acceleration (despite mediocre top-end speed). Those should have been able to translate in at least a couple plays in his career. I mean I honestly can't remember a single above-average carry in his two years of gameplay. Strange.

Richard Samuel should have been playing LB. UGAg should have moved him there and kept him there instead of jacking him around the way they did. He was a hell of a hitter in HS. They ruined him.

Washaun Ealey was a bigtime back out of Emmanuel County Inst. HS ranking was similar to Knowshow Moreno. Underachieved.

Caleb King was ranked ahead of Dwyer. Couldn't pass the HS graduation test, so he transferred to a private school. Underachieved.

Isaiah Crowell. Gone.

Gurley and Marshall are legit.

UGAy has had more busts at rb in the last 10 years than most schools.

I guess it depends on what your definition of a bust is. I was responding to him about recruiting rankings. Samuel and King weren't as good as their rankings. Crowell, IMO, was every bit as good as his 5 star rating. Talent wise, there is no question. Him being a thug and Gurley/Marshall are the reasons he's not at UGA. Knowshon was better than his rating and Ealey was pretty good for a couple years. Then Crowell came and his attitude issues all of a sudden became too much (interesting trend).

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what your definition of a bust is. I was responding to him about recruiting rankings. Samuel and King weren't as good as their rankings. Crowell, IMO, was every bit as good as his 5 star rating. Talent wise, there is no question. Him being a thug and Gurley/Marshall are the reasons he's not at UGA. Knowshon was better than his rating and Ealey was pretty good for a couple years. Then Crowell came and his attitude issues all of a sudden became too (interesting trend).

Gotcha! I agree.

IDK man. The exciting parts of Perkins's film were his power-style (run through you) and great acceleration (despite mediocre top-end speed). Those should have been able to translate in at least a couple plays in his career. I mean I honestly can't remember a single above-average carry in his two years of gameplay. Strange.

That's exactly where I'm at. I had the guy pegged as a Robert Lavette type runner but with more power.

Perkins's HS tape is not as impressive as Custis's. He goes down a lot easier and relies more on speed, beating guys to the corner. Watch and compare for yourself:
[y]Mvv1kvGeMuo[/y]
[y]K77FxZtKBIc[/y]

Perkins's does show some athleticism we haven't seen (like jumping over guys). I still have hope for him. But öööö we need Custis.

Perkins's HS tape is not as impressive as Custis's. He goes down a lot easier and relies more on speed, beating guys to the corner. Watch and compare for yourself:

Perkins's does show some athleticism we haven't seen (like jumping over guys). I still have hope for him. But öööö we need Custis.

He goes down on contact. Not b-back material and if he wasn't fast enough for a-back, he doesn't fit.

I will never open my big mouth again about RB recruiting film after all the blabbing I did after watching Perkins' HS highlight reels. When he gets here and steamrolls UGa's DL I'll shout it out but not before.
This seems prudent.

Back