Travis Custis

BS, you can't pick our worst games and conclude that our offense sucks. I could just arbitrarily choose UNC, Clemson, and Miami (all decent/good teams) and declare that our offense is amazing.

Let's compare our score against each team (only counting FBS) to their avg points allowed on the season.

VT ppg allowed: 23.9
GT score: 17

UVA ppg allowed: 28.9
GT score: 56

Miami ppg allowed: 30.5
GT score: 36

MTSU ppg allowed: 28
GT score: 28

Clemson ppg allowed: 24.9
GT score: 31

BC ppg allowed: 29.7
GT score: 37

BYU ppg allowed: 14.7
GT score: 17

Maryland ppg allowed: 27.2
GT score: 33

UNC ppg allowed: 25.7
GT score: 68

Duke ppg allowed: 35
GT score: 42

UGA ppg allowed: 18.8
GT score: 10

FSU ppg allowed: 15.1
GT score: 15

So in games against FBS teams, we scored under the teams' average points allowed per game a total of two times: against VT and UGA.

We scored right on the average twice as well, against FSU and MTSU.

We scored above the average nine times, with many of those being WAY above the average.

On average, we score 7.32 points higher than our FBS opponents normally allow. If we only include ACC games, that number jumps up to 10.5.

As badly as we played at times this season, it's still pretty clear that our offense is WELL above average. Just because we didn't light up the scoreboard against BYU and FSU (#2 and #3 ranked defenses nationally) doesn't mean we suck. Can we get better? Of course, but defense is clearly our main problem.

The customary disproving-with-facts, to be followed by the changing-of-pretexts and repeating-of-accusations-anyway.

The customary disproving-with-facts, to be followed by the changing-of-pretexts and repeating-of-accusations-anyway.

Well I would say the only one that may be off for johncu is the BYU game where we had 2 non-offensive TDs. However it is hard to completely disregard even those since non-offensive TD's would effect other teams defensive ppg as well.

FWIW, I didn't say our offense sucks in general. Our offense is much better than average. Powerrank.com using schedule adjusted yards per play stats ranks us 39th. I like using schedule adjusted ranks that adjust for how good a defense is. Football Outsiders lists us as 14th best again using opponent adjusted data.

With that said, I definitely have a complaint that we can't score against elite defenses. I don't expect to score 40 points against them, but I would hope we score more than 20, not just 3 or 10.

in those games where we don't score well, we still tend to have a lot of yards. we just also have a tendency to self inflict once we get near the red zone.

in those games where we don't score well, we still tend to have a lot of yards. we just also have a tendency to self inflict once we get near the red zone.
Which means IMO that we are closer to accomplishing what I want than the score indicates.

Factoring in out inability to get points outside of TD's in the red zone.

With that said, I definitely have a complaint that we can't score against elite defenses. I don't expect to score 40 points against them, but I would hope we score more than 20, not just 3 or 10.

I agree on this. However, this hasn't been a trend the whole time PJ has been here. Especially in his first couple years, we used to drop a lot of points on some good teams. IMO, it's due to our current lack of playmakers. Back in 2008-2009, Nesbitt/Dwyer/Thomas were the X-factors that we relied on in those big games. We don't have juniors or seniors that fit that bill right now. Some young guys might fill that role in the next couple years, but we shall see. IMO that is the difference between us being a top 25 offense and a top 5 offense.

Best highlights of any running back recruit I've seen since CPJ got here.

This guy is a man beast that will be tearing it up on the flats in 2013 and will be the next RB playing on sundays for GT

Best highlights of any running back recruit I've seen since CPJ got here.
I will never open my big mouth again about RB recruiting film after all the blabbing I did after watching Perkins' HS highlight reels. When he gets here and steamrolls UGa's DL I'll shout it out but not before.

i will never open my big mouth again about rb recruiting film after all the blabbing i did after watching perkins' hs highlight reels. When he gets here and steamrolls uga's dl i'll shout it out but not before.

+1000

I will never open my big mouth again about RB recruiting film after all the blabbing I did after watching Perkins' HS highlight reels. When he gets here and steamrolls UGa's DL I'll shout it out but not before.

You have a point, but Perkins is only a sophomore still. I'm not ready to say he's a disappointment.

You have a point, but Perkins is only a sophomore still. I'm not ready to say he's a disappointment.

He's a RS Sophmore who started school in the Spring, iirc. He may be graduating before next Fall.

this.

perkins' highlight tape was downright amazing.

i haven't completely given up on him, but öööö.

Back