uga indicted the GT 'hacker'

cyptomcat

Hibernating
http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2014-12-30/georgia-tech-student-indicted-uga-website-hack

Ryan Gregory Pickren, 21, was charged with felony computer trespass for making the posting on UGA’s online calendar on Nov. 27, two days before the intrastate gridiron match-up.
The illegal calendar entry, which was added below the legitimate entry for the game, read: “Sat., November 29, 2014/ 12:00 pm/ Get Ass Kicked by GT.”

Georgia state law states that a person is guilty of computer trespass when they alter, damage or in any way cause the malfunction of a computer, computer network or computer program regardless of how long it occurs. Conviction of the felony offense is punishable by a maximum of 15 years in prison and a $50,000 fine.

There should be some kind of THWG gofundme account for this kid...

BeeStorm EDIT: There may be one. http://www.gofundme.com/ji4xh4

I have no way of knowing if this is real. Do your own homework.

I am sure it wasn't much of a hack as it was lax security on the part of the inbreeds down there. Password: "1234" or "5555" or "password"

I am saddened that a GT computer engineering student wasn't good enough to cover tracks, regardless of how easy it is to get into UGAg's 386SX

Well, he was right.

Seriously, he was. I would also like to know if it were a legitimate hack. If he were able to just breeze in and make changes then isn't that just inviting changes to be made? Also, is telling the truth a crime now?

This is a serious question because I am not a lawyer. This kid probably didn't do much work, if any, to log in. I can't imagine anyone who knows what they're doing would get caught by the UGA police department. 7 proxies and all that noise. If they let you in the front door, is that still a crime?

UGA probably has an open calendar. These are the same people that think a simple DNS redirect are a "hack":

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2014-12-03/uga-continuing-probe-hacking-schools-main-website

If someone gets a fund together for this, I'm good for a few dollars. UGA is dumb.

A buddy of mine works for uga it. He said it was really poor security. I dont remember the details exactly, but it was something like modifying a local js file that let changes get pushed back to the server.

Also, it's rather awful of uga to pursue criminal charges against the kid. They should've requested an apology with some community service and been done with it. No reason to screw up the guy's life with a felony conviction.

Also, it's rather awful of uga to pursue criminal charges against the kid. They should've requested an apology with some community service and been done with it. No reason to screw up the guy's life with a felony conviction.

hopefully that's what's about to happen next in the court...

Not had much experience with UGAg types? If they had won the game it would have been ignored. I am sure there are a few admins and some police investigators that are having all kinds of butthurt about the game and are seeking revenge on a Tech student.

I agree that it should be an apology and community service. Adding an entry to a calendar hardly qualifies as a hack. I would be curious to know if entries have been made to the calendar in the past by students or administrators that are every bit as much of a hack as this incident.

If people have been adding to it on and off that aren't the gatekeeper of the calendar, then I don't see how they can prosecute without seeking out everyone that has made an entry in the past. I hope the lawyer he hires digs this info up and publicly embarrasses UGAg and the police force with it.

The articles I have seen indicate that other systems were accessed as well. It isn't the calendar entry itself that is at issue. It is the act of accessing the UGA systems themselves. Guy should've done a better job of covering his tracks.

They got the wrong guy, but they'll never catch me:
Good_Luck_I_m_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg

This is a really horrible thing to do over a harmless prank.

The articles I have seen indicate that other systems were accessed as well. It isn't the calendar entry itself that is at issue. It is the act of accessing the UGA systems themselves. Guy should've done a better job of covering his tracks.

defending Georgie?

modzplsban

Back