uga indicted the GT 'hacker'

The articles I have seen indicate that other systems were accessed as well. It isn't the calendar entry itself that is at issue. It is the act of accessing the UGA systems themselves. Guy should've done a better job of covering his tracks.

I saw an article that said simply buying a namespace of "WalmartAcademy" and redirecting it to uga.edu was a "hack". So yea, there's that.

The articles I have seen indicate that other systems were accessed as well. It isn't the calendar entry itself that is at issue. It is the act of accessing the UGA systems themselves.

So? Did he do any harm to those systems?

If anything he did them a favor by exposing security weaknesses that could have been exploited by bad guys to do actually bad things.

Guy should've done a better job of covering his tracks.

He was doing it as just a prank, there was no reason to do it anonymously. That was the courteous way to do it, so they can see it is just a prank.

So? Did he do any harm to those systems?

If anything he did them a favor by exposing security weaknesses that could have been exploited by bad guys to do actually bad things.

He was doing it as just a prank, there was no reason to do it anonymously. That was the courteous way to do it, so they can see it is just a prank.

Agreed. I would consider painting the arches old gold as more of an offense than this (isn't that a tradition?) as it requires actual time and money to fix.

This feels super petty.

Hope the judge isn't a dwag.

I know what lawyer we'd need.

500px-Hyper-Chicken.jpg

Why don't they indict and catch all the dwags who trash their entire campus instead? Pissing on your online calendar seems to be a big issue for them, but taking a dump in the library isnt.

Innocent prank but stupid prank....this is the epitome of the lil brother syndrome. You don't see other schools doing this öööö

did he do it from home from his comcast ip?

a vpn would have defeated the ugag police whose investigation probably was just asking for the ip log.

Innocent prank but stupid prank....this is the epitome of the lil brother syndrome. You don't see other schools doing this öööö

oh look, our retard southern members are trying to be funny.

did he do it from home from his comcast ip?

This is like asking "Did he really make a prank call from his personal phone?" As if he were stupid for not traveling 100 miles from where he lives, wearing a ski mask to conceal his face, wearing rubber gloves to prevent fingerprints, and finding a pay phone to make a prank call.

It's a prank! The computer trespassing charge is ludicrously disproportionate.

still looks good on the resume. didn't hurt Mitnick..

This is like asking "Did he really make a prank call from his personal phone?" As if he were stupid for not traveling 100 miles from where he lives, wearing a ski mask to conceal his face, wearing rubber gloves to prevent fingerprints, and finding a pay phone to make a prank call.

It's a prank! The computer trespassing charge is ludicrously disproportionate.

He could have taken the most basic precaution of using a proxy.

Ugh, this just makes me mad. One more reason to hate that öööö school.

He could have taken the most basic precaution of using a proxy.

Well we don't know what he did since we don't have the details of the indictment. It's possible he did use some sort of proxy and they subpoenaed the provider, or it's possible he screwed up. Easy to use a proxy and accidentally reveal your IP.

To me saying he could have used a proxy is analogous to saying he could have suppressed caller ID when making a prank call. OK, sure, you're right, but felony charges? The proportionate response here is a stern phone call or something.

Back