uga indicted the GT 'hacker'

This is a serious question because I am not a lawyer. This kid probably didn't do much work, if any, to log in. I can't imagine anyone who knows what they're doing would get caught by the UGA police department. 7 proxies and all that noise. If they let you in the front door, is that still a crime?

UGA probably has an open calendar. These are the same people that think a simple DNS redirect are a "hack":

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2014-12-03/uga-continuing-probe-hacking-schools-main-website

If someone gets a fund together for this, I'm good for a few dollars. UGA is dumb.
If he approached them and let them know how easy it was to crack and offer to show them the way to patch it, they probably wouldn't press charges. White Hat and all that noise.

Of course, he would not have been able to post what he did.

So is UGA actually the entity pressing charges, or is it the Clarke County Police? Who is actually responsible for this?

Also, it's rather awful of uga to pursue criminal charges against the kid. They should've requested an apology with some community service and been done with it. No reason to screw up the guy's life with a felony conviction.
Or barter no charges for showing them how crappy their security is.

Hi this is Sage Pickren, Ryan's sister. I started the GoFundMe to help my brother out. Here's the link again.

http://www.gofundme.com/ji4xh4

Thanks for your help!

How do we know this is legitimate and not a scam? Easy for someone to claim they're related to someone. You could be a UGA fan trying to raise money to fire Richt or upgrade to a double-wide or something

Innocent prank but stupid prank....this is the epitome of the lil brother syndrome. You don't see other schools doing this öööö
harveyupdykemugpolicejpg-dc1e5b114a53bc39.jpg

Huge difference. He caused irreparable physical damage to an icon. It would be like if we stole their arches and melted them down. UGA only had a valid event added to their online calendar momentarily.

Hopefully there is a misdemeanor they can get it down to or maybe "first offender"

Provided he does not have a record they should be able to work something out.

How do we know this is legitimate and not a scam? Easy for someone to claim they're related to someone. You could be a UGA fan trying to raise money to fire Richt or upgrade to a double-wide or something

Her FB page has her and a picture of the accused at sone theme park. She's legit.

I'll donate $500 under one condition. That when your brother has the opportunity to speak in his defense he sings "I'm a a Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech!" And he has to wear gold pants and jacket. I have both if needed.

If he approached them and let them know how easy it was to crack and offer to show them the way to patch it, they probably wouldn't press charges. White Hat and all that noise.

Of course, he would not have been able to post what he did.

I did this in high school.

Got expelled. (appealed and won, but still)

Not joking.

Don't ever do this unless you've been employed to do this.

Her FB page has her and a picture of the accused at sone theme park. She's legit.

And the same account advertised the funding campaign? Otherwise it could just be someone claiming to be her.

I don't have a Facebook account so can't check.

I wish this was the 90s and ugag had an EFNet IRC channel. :naughty:

And the same account advertised the funding campaign? Otherwise it could just be someone claiming to be her.

I don't have a Facebook account so can't check.

yeah, gofundme links to facebook it seems

Also, I am sure the family can contact gofundme if there is any fraud going on.

Back