uga indicted the GT 'hacker'

80 hours of community service, payment of a $300 program fee, and a handwritten letter of apology to UGA

"Sorry for correctly predicting you would get your ass kicked."

We should help him with his apology letter

Maybe they can have him to paint the arch gold.

Making him write an apology letter... this is why I hate anything and everything to do with University[sic] of Georgia

Dear uga,
I apologize for accurately predicting the future.
I'm sorry your dogs die a lot.

Pickren’s Feb. 18 acceptance into the Western Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Pretrial Diversion Program came with the conditions that successful completion was contingent on performing 80 hours of community service, payment of a $300 program fee, and a handwritten letter of apology to UGA.

That actually seems like the appropriate punishment. It's just a shame it took a circus and ridiculous legal threats to get there.

That actually seems like the appropriate punishment. It's just a shame it took a circus and ridiculous legal threats to get there.

Do we know if it's appropriate? The last working theory we had was that he simply submitted public info to a public website with no authentication. If that's true, why is he being punished at all?

Do we know if it's appropriate? The last working theory we had was that he simply submitted public info to a public website with no authentication. If that's true, why is he being punished at all?

Because that doesn't seem very realistic.

Because that doesn't seem very realistic.

Neither does spending a large amount of time and effort doing very obviously illegal things and hacking into a government website just to put a calendar entry about a football game.

If he was stealing credentials or something else, they wouldn't be treating him nicely.

Neither does spending a large amount of time and effort doing very obviously illegal things and hacking into a government website just to put a calendar entry about a football game.

If he was stealing credentials or something else, they wouldn't be treating him nicely.

Oh I have no doubt it was an easy hack. Maybe as simple as looking at the html source and mocking something up.

But I really don't think it was just "submitting public info to a public site"...otherwise it would have come out. I'm sure there was some subterfuge involved, even if it was something that could be considered almost trivial by us.

So, since he only has a $300 fine, how much did he bank off of his gofundme?

I'm sure his attorney wasn't working pro bono.

Just on his gofundme linked in this thread he had $14k in donations. I haven't hired an attorney in a while but that should be at least 40hrs worth attorney time.

To take a felony case, a lawyer would probably want at least $10k up front.

If he made money off of it, good. It was all worth it.

Back