"Unprecedented" penalties TBA for PSU

I was thinking about Braine's comments the other day too. Who ever thought he would go from asshole to prophet?

Whatever. Dave Braine's still an asshole, and what he said was still dumb as ----.

Sounds like the only thing "unprecedented" is the fact that they're using an outside investigation (the Freeh Report) as the basis for sanctions. Bowl bans & scholarship reductions would only be cosmetic gestures.

How many commits does PSU have this year?

I just answered my own question.

13 commits per Rivals with 6 four star recruits, ranked 3rd in Big 10....REALLY???

Who would want to go there now? Hopefully they don't have to take a shower in the "rape" shower. I would definitely wear flip flops.

I just answered my own question.

13 commits per Rivals with 6 four star recruits, ranked 3rd in Big 10....REALLY???

Who would want to go there now? Hopefully they don't have to take a shower in the "rape" shower. I would definitely wear flip flops.

If I was a recruit it wouldn't have much of an impact on my decision at all. The guy who did it is in jail, the guy primarily responsible for the coverup is dead, and the higher-ups who went along with it are gone and awaiting trial.

The severity of the sanctions will have a much bigger impact on recruiting than the scandal itself. Hell, the reactions of the fans to the scandal may have actually helped recruiting...it shows that the people around PSU really do value football above everything else.

If I was a recruit it wouldn't have much of an impact on my decision at all. The guy who did it is in jail, the guy primarily responsible for the coverup is dead, and the higher-ups who went along with it are gone and awaiting trial.

The severity of the sanctions will have a much bigger impact on recruiting than the scandal itself. Hell, the reactions of the fans to the scandal may have actually helped recruiting...it shows that the people around PSU really do value football above everything else.
That's probably what some are pointing at as almost a death penalty. If you take away significant scholarships, and give them a 4 year bowl ban (just guessing), you're basically telling anyone the recruit that a) they won't be good and b) even if they are they can't win anything. Most top players will go elsewhere so you gut their recruiting without giving them the actual death penalty. I would think it would take them some time to come back from that, if it's really significant when announced.

One thing I've heard a few people mention as a possiblity is a TV ban. You haven't seen the NCAA ban schools from TV much lately but if you did that plus huge scholarship losses and a post season ban all for multiple seasons, I could see it hurting them pretty bad.

Can you say "transfer without penalty"...?

Who are the best young players on Penn State's team? Did we narrowly miss out on anyone who committed there in the last 1 to 3 years?

If I was a recruit it wouldn't have much of an impact on my decision at all.

It would affect me. When someone says "Penn State" right now, what do you think about? Child molestation, a corrupt administration, and riots. Would you want to be associated with that if you had a choice?

If the NCAA acts on this case, it will be based on the evidence finding wide-spread and fundamental corruption at the university, which gave privilege to football and football players. It was not an incident or a matter of a few people - the problem was the fundamental culture of Penn State. If that doesn't get the death penalty, then nothing should.

Also, this might make Pitt football a few % points more popular up North.

One thing I've heard a few people mention as a possiblity is a TV ban. You haven't seen the NCAA ban schools from TV much lately but if you did that plus huge scholarship losses and a post season ban all for multiple seasons, I could see it hurting them pretty bad.

Wouldn't surprise me if TV was a reason Emmert didn't institute the death penalty (along with scheduling perturbations to O$U, Wisky, and Nebraska). Ratings for psu games are going to be astounding this year.

Wouldn't surprise me if TV was a reason Emmert didn't institute the death penalty (along with scheduling perturbations to O$U, Wisky, and Nebraska). Ratings for psu games are going to be astounding this year.

IF a TV ban is involved then maybe one can say that the punishments approached the severity of the death penalty, particularly if its more than 1 year.

As for scholarships and bowl bans, 5 years min, no player they recruit now can be allowed to win anything otherwise it does become a bit like USC where some good players will stick around for the chance at the end.

How so? It's being reported the punishment is not going to be the death penalty, so most of the reaction here is well placed. You either don't do anything claiming it wasn't in violation of NCAA regulations, or you completely crush the program. Anything in between which is what were discussing is retarded by the NCAA and places a value in terms of football program punishment on child rape.

Per a former committee on infractions chair and current Division I appeals committee, "This is an important precedent,'' said the chair. "And it should be taken with extreme care.''

I am inclined to agree.

If the NCAA can punish the PSU football program for actions that are currently outside their jurisdiction (read: issues that do not affect competition), a dangerous precedent is being set. The NCAA can choose (or choose not to) punish any program for outside actions. That's a privilege that will not go away once it's been tapped into. That will likely be used as just another tool to separate the top from the bottom now that the seal is broken.

That's probably what some are pointing at as almost a death penalty. If you take away significant scholarships, and give them a 4 year bowl ban (just guessing), you're basically telling anyone the recruit that a) they won't be good and b) even if they are they can't win anything. Most top players will go elsewhere so you gut their recruiting without giving them the actual death penalty. I would think it would take them some time to come back from that, if it's really significant when announced.

Yeah. Something similar worked at USC.:rolleyes:

Per a former committee on infractions chair and current Division I appeals committee, "This is an important precedent,'' said the chair. "And it should be taken with extreme care.''

I am inclined to agree.

If the NCAA can punish the PSU football program for actions that are currently outside their jurisdiction (read: issues that do not affect competition), a dangerous precedent is being set. The NCAA can choose (or choose not to) punish any program for outside actions. That's a privilege that will not go away once it's been tapped into. That will likely be used as just another tool to separate the top from the bottom now that the seal is broken.

This is just another reason NOT to punish them. The NCAA though does have some "stick" to ther argument to punish. There's a morality clause in NCAA guidelines as it attributes to Institutional Control, and I fully expect the NCAA to cite that when they do punish PSU.

The argument I'm making has to do with the actual punishment. Unless its debilitating they are placing a unit of measure on child rape,which is thoughtless on their part.

Back