Update on GT Admission Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously I agree with you athletically.

But I assume JJ was not talking about a 6'3" 225 lb black kid with a 4.3 40, rather a normal applicant.

We are ferrari level Academically. UGAy is Chevrolet.

I would say they're more on par with Mitsubishi or Nissan. Chevrolet makes good trucks and Corvettes.

And I would say we're Maserati level academically.

Obviously I agree with you athletically.

But I assume JJ was not talking about a 6'3" 225 lb black kid with a 4.3 40, rather a normal applicant.

We are ferrari level Academically. UGAy is Chevrolet.
That's true — but jjacket has been suggesting that his family member's experience with the admissions office was potentially typical of the athletics office. Hence the analogy failure IMHO.

That's true — but jjacket has been suggesting that his family member's experience with the admissions office was potentially typical of the athletics office. Hence the analogy failure IMHO.
I just figured it was indicative of a lazy group of workers across the board.

I'd say a majority, but not all. My point is that GT seems to want nobody to attend the school. I'd bet that attitude extends to football players too. I'm sure, at some point, we have lost a player or two because they just figured it wasn't worth it.

They're that way because they can be. Because even with that attitude, kids from all over the world are still beating down doors to come here.

You think that's bad? Try being an undergrad and finding a professor who cares about anything concerning the student.

Ma Tech is a bitch.

I am OK with the critique of the Admissions Office. The experience of my two kids was that the communication and helpfulness of the Admissions Office at Tech was at the bottom of the list of the schools they took a good look at attending - UNC, Wake, Furman, Georgetown, Campbell, Samford, Elon, ECU, and NC State. I recognize the private schools on that list have a different kind of selling to do. My kids were not put off by it and their acceptance went through with no hitch. They just laughed and said it seemed The Hill was no more user friendly than I talked about from my days there. I do believe that our beloved Institute had always lagged behind in the excellence of its Admissions and Registrar's offices, and I don't understand why that is acceptable. Just because you are representing a great academic school does not mean you should do your job with less excellence and level of service. Georgetown stands out as a school that did student recruiting with an excellence that matched their academic reputation.

Really strange, but no longer surprising, at the number of supposed GT sports fans who would rather our S/As play in front of fewer supporters.

Screw GT academics excuse makers, elitist turds and whiners. And the dwag loving GT admissions office retard employees.

They should already be unemployed.

Had an admission rep tell me one time, they could fill up their freshmen class with just North metro applicants.

We might be Ferrari level academically, but not brand-wise. Anyone that thinks Tech's brand is in a position to act like smug assholes at the front gate is delusional.

It seems asinine to behave in such a manner even if you are #1. The caller could be the next Bill Gates/Steve Jobs and we run the dude off to Vandy or Illinois or something. Treat everyone like they might have a perfect SAT and will improve our rep, or you will lose ground to schools that do.

It seems asinine to behave in such a manner even if you are #1. The caller could be the next Bill Gates/Steve Jobs and we run the dude off to Vandy or Illinois or something. Treat everyone like they might have a perfect SAT and will improve our rep, or you will lose ground to schools that do.
And there are really smart football players that may come here instead of choosing our rivals

Had an admission rep tell me one time, they could fill up their freshmen class with just North metro applicants.
I bet that was based on acceptances though. Most kids apply to more than 1 place and then go to the one they like best of the acceptances. Those kids who got accepted to GT, Stanford, and MIT are low probability to actual enroll and register for fall semester.

Also, what would be the average SAT it Tech just limited the freshman class to North metro applicants? I assume they take the best from everywhere now so the latter case would be less talented students.

We might be Ferrari level academically, but not brand-wise. Anyone that thinks Tech's brand is in a position to act like smug assholes at the front gate is delusional.

Bingo.

Massive analogy failure. If your example were even vaguely analogous to what we're talking about.. then Ferrari really needs Kia's customers to be a better car brand.
Academically? No, GT doesn’t need uGA students.

I bet that was based on acceptances though. Most kids apply to more than 1 place and then go to the one they like best of the acceptances. Those kids who got accepted to GT, Stanford, and MIT are low probability to actual enroll and register for fall semester.

Also, what would be the average SAT it Tech just limited the freshman class to North metro applicants? I assume they take the best from everywhere now so the latter case would be less talented students.

Probably marginally lower. It's easier to get into GT as a Georgian...but definitely harder if you are from north metro counties. The experience I have at my daughter's high school in Cobb is that most of the top students either a) eliminate Tech due to rigor/limited majors or b) use Tech as a backup safety school.

Would definitely be interesting to compare students accepted from the north metro vs. out of state.

You don't seem to understand how an admission officer's incentive structure works.

You don't seem to understand how an admission officer's incentive structure works.
That is true. Based on what is being reported, which I have not confirmed, their behavior and motivations are unfathomable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back