Urban ded - who can we poach from his staff?

Urban should be fired for his failure to follow the policies of his employer. That the police were involved is not material here. The rules for tOSU employees are clear, Urban had an obligation to report what he knew to his employer. That obligation is higher than winning football games.
ESPN said:
Under the Ohio State employee handbook all employees would be obligated to report allegations of domestic assault by other employees. That’s especially the case for Urban Meyer, who is Smith’s superior, and for Shelley Meyer, who is also an Ohio State employee.

As McMurphy reports: “Shelley Meyer is a registered nurse and instructor of Clinical Practice at the Ohio State University College of Nursing. She too is bound by Title IX standards.”

That’s why I believe Ohio State will have to fire Urban Meyer before this story is finished.

Leaving aside the morality of his decision making, he violated his obligations as an Ohio State employee, lied to his bosses, and has now been caught lying to his bosses about it

Urban's statement after the announcement of the suspension indicates an admission of his failure:
Urban Meyer said:
"I wish I could go back and make different decisions, but I can't," Meyer said. "These difficult lessons are a constant reminder of the duties and obligations that I have as a member of this university and this community. I take full responsibility, I take this responsibility very seriously and I will do better."
ESPN's reporting paints a damning picture.

Background info:
tOSU Policy 1.15 Sexual Misconduct said:
Definitions:

Relationship violence: Dating violence and domestic violence. All such acts of relationship violence are forms of sexual misconduct under this policy.

Domestic violence: Conduct that would meet the definition of a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence committed by the complainant’s current or former spouse or intimate partner, a person with whom the complainant shares a child in common, a person who is or has cohabitated with the complainant as a spouse or intimate partner, or individual similarly situated to a spouse under domestic or family violence law, or anyone else protected under the domestic or family violence law of the jurisdiction in which the offense occurred. An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy.

tOSU Policy 1.15 Sexual Misconduct said:
IV. Employee Duty to Report

A. The university is committed to stopping sexual misconduct, preventing its recurrence, eliminating any hostile environment, and remedying its discriminatory effects. All university employees have reporting responsibilities to ensure the university can take appropriate action.

B. Employees with a duty to report should refer to the chart in section V-Reporting Allegations of Sexual Misconduct.

C. All university employees, except those exempted by legal privilege of confidentiality or expressly identified as a confidential reporter, have an obligation to report incidents of sexual assault. Any employee who receives a disclosure of a sexual assault or becomes aware of information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a sexual assault may have occurred involving anyone covered under this policy, must report all known information immediately.

D. In addition to the requirement of reporting incidents of sexual assault, the following members of the university community have an additional obligation to report all other incidents of sexual misconduct, when they receive a disclosure of sexual misconduct or become aware of information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that sexual misconduct may have occurred involving anyone covered under this policy. These individuals must report the incident within five work days of becoming aware of such information:

1. Any human resource professional (HRP);

2. Anyone who supervises faculty, staff, students, or volunteers;

3. Chair/director; and

4. Faculty member.

Do you honestly think that given these same circumstances the Sport Industry Chair at tOSU would keep their job?

Urban is the highest profile employee at tOSU and he had a reponsibility. Being able to win football games should not factor in. IMO - based on what is being reported now and Urban's own statements - the penalty indicates that winning was factored in. The next time something like this comes up, tOSU is going to have a hard time disciplining an employee beyond a three day suspension. Thus, abusers can be enabled without too much personal risk to an tOSU employee's job.

Urban should be fired for his failure to follow the policies of his employer. That the police were involved is not material here. The rules for tOSU employees are clear, Urban had an obligation to report what he knew to his employer. That obligation is higher than winning football games.

Urban's statement after the announcement of the suspension indicates an admission of his failure:

ESPN's reporting paints a damning picture.

Background info:

Do you honestly think that given these same circumstances the Sport Industry Chair at tOSU would keep their job?

Urban is the highest profile employee at tOSU and he had a reponsibility. Being able to win football games should not factor in. IMO - based on what is being reported now and Urban's own statements - the penalty indicates that winning was factored in. The next time something like this comes up, tOSU is going to have a hard time disciplining an employee beyond a three day suspension. Thus, abusers can be enabled without too much personal risk to an tOSU employee's job.
Yawn

I did actually click on your ESPN link, in the hopes it would bridge the tiny gap between us... but I don't think it paints a damning picture at all. It paints the picture we've discussed already... namely, these criminal allegations were contemporaneously reported to law enforcement. Urban's silence covered up nothing at all.

The unspoken assumption in the institutional policies you rely on is that the alleged abuse is otherwise unknown, which is what justifies institutional involvement. If you think the institution should be involved regardless of law enforcement's involvement, then we disagree about the responsibility of employers in stopping domestic abuse.

Employers are not in a position to make those determinations, nor should they be. Employers do not have the powers necessary to investigate them correctly. Do you really want your employer to have subpoena and seizure power over you, which they can use whenever unsubstantiated allegations are made about you? Why are we limiting this to domestic abuse anyhow? Should employers really tolerate tax frauds in their midsts? Just what should ClydeBrick's employer do when he hears in the hallway that ClydeBrick didn't pay his taxes last year?

We already have a very well established process for complaining about and punishing criminal behavior. To think any of this is the fault of the football coach is just scapegoating.

WTF is the difference in "deliberately lying" and "misrepresenting what he knew" ?

There are reports now that Urban deleted all his text messages older than 1 year as soon as the investigation started. That feels more sinister than careless.
literally from the link @ClydeBrick provided above:

Associate athletic director Brian Voltolini and Meyer "discussed at that time whether the media could get access to Coach Meyer's phone, and specifically how to adjust the settings on Meyer's phone so that text messages older than one year would be deleted," the summary of findings detailed. When Meyer turned his phone over to the investigative team, it had no text messages that were older than one year.

While that is not an admission of guilt, the investigators found it "nonetheless concerning that his first reaction to a negative media piece exposing his knowledge of the 2015-16 law enforcement investigation was to worry about the media getting access to info and discussing how to delete messages older than one year."

They found it "concerning" that he deleted all those texts after the first hint of exposure.

Al$o, what kind of piece of $hit doe$ Urban'$ wife have to be if thi$ woman confided in her and a$ked for her to help get $omething done about it, but $he didn't after Urban apparently blew it off?

I did actually click on your ESPN link, in the hopes it would bridge the tiny gap between us... but I don't think it paints a damning picture at all. It paints the picture we've discussed already... namely, these criminal allegations were contemporaneously reported to law enforcement. Urban's silence covered up nothing at all.

The unspoken assumption in the institutional policies you rely on is that the alleged abuse is otherwise unknown, which is what justifies institutional involvement. If you think the institution should be involved regardless of law enforcement's involvement, then we disagree about the responsibility of employers in stopping domestic abuse.

Employers are not in a position to make those determinations, nor should they be. Employers do not have the powers necessary to investigate them correctly. Do you really want your employer to have subpoena and seizure power over you, which they can use whenever unsubstantiated allegations are made about you? Why are we limiting this to domestic abuse anyhow? Should employers really tolerate tax frauds in their midsts? Just what should ClydeBrick's employer do when he hears in the hallway that ClydeBrick didn't pay his taxes last year?

We already have a very well established process for complaining about and punishing criminal behavior. To think any of this is the fault of the football coach is just scapegoating.
If the timeline was such that the police had completed their investigation when Urban found out, what harm would have come to anyone for Urban to follow his employer's policy and protect himself? If the investigation was not complete, then there would be an even greater need to report.

I understand and agree with your point about the far reaching issues with how businesses are trying to protect themselves from employee's personal issues but at this point it appears that as a society we have just accepted it. There may be a fallout from this that dials policies like these back, but IMO, without a law to void these policies the lawyers will never let them go away.

The bottom line is that the policy exists so tOSU can attempt to protect itself from becoming jointly liable if öööö goes sideways. Urban failed to follow it and now tOSU has to deal with the fallout. Taxpayers and students will be paying toward any awards or settlements that may come. Did tOSU state that their policy goes too far and it should be changed since off-site issues are not their concern? Or did they say that if you are important enough to the football program we will give you a slap on the wrist when you violate the policy?

IMO, what is wrong and evil in this circumstance is that any other employee at tOSU would be fired for what happened - because they are not Urban. When, IMO, Urban being who Urban is; having the highest profile at tOSU - is the exact reason he should be fired.

I'm not really sure what I think should have been done with Urban Meyer, but I strongly disagree that his ability to perform his job should not be a factor. This whole scandal has created a source of embarrassment for Ohio State. If they fired him, it would be because this embarrassment was such a negative that it outweighed any positives about Meyer. They clearly determined that it doesn't. He's a damn good coach so they are willing to accept the backlash because he otherwise performs his job admirably.

I'm not really sure what I think should have been done with Urban Meyer, but I strongly disagree that his ability to perform his job should not be a factor. This whole scandal has created a source of embarrassment for Ohio State. If they fired him, it would be because he violated a cut and dry school policy about reporting abuse, in which termination can be a consequence.
ftfy

mostly_dead.jpg

No one asked Urban or Gene a very important question last night. (I am sure there are lots and lots of them) Supposedly, although I do not believe it, Gene Smith knew about the 2015 incident BEFORE Urban. He supposedly informed Urban.

My question is this: "Coach Meyer, did you inform AD Smith that there was at least one previous incident of domestic abuse while you were at UF with Coach Smith?" If he answers yes, then Gene has even MORE accountability for not telling the compliance group. If Urban answered, "no", then Urban has some "splaining" to do.

There are reports now that Urban deleted all his text messages older than 1 year as soon as the investigation started. That feels more sinister than careless.
Asked staff members to show him how to delete messages. This was an unmitigated farce.

Employers are not in a position to make those determinations, nor should they be. Employers do not have the powers necessary to investigate them correctly. Do you really want your employer to have subpoena and seizure power over you, which they can use whenever unsubstantiated allegations are made about you? Why are we limiting this to domestic abuse anyhow? Should employers really tolerate tax frauds in their midsts? Just what should ClydeBrick's employer do when he hears in the hallway that ClydeBrick didn't pay his taxes last year?/QUOTE]

My only regret is that I have but one like to give.

Back