Virginia provides a direct contrast . . .

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
.... to Georgia Tech. They hire a pro coach (who just happens to be a Virginia alumni, key difference here) with the expectations of establishing a higher level of achievement on the gridiron. Groh burns with a passion and desire to see UVA a powerhouse. He goes out and recruits top talent and plays that talent. He sets a vision and directs his troops toward accomplishing that vision. The Cavaliers are on the way and will be Hell to play for us and everybody else going forward.

Gailey has no connection to Tech. He thinks this college stuff will be a snap compared to Pro ball. He expects to win but doesn't put in the preperation to do so. He misjudges our talent and waste a year where we had the potential to win the ACC. He inspires no one with his, "deer lost in the headlights look". He takes a program with so much potential and turns it south.

We really missed the boat.

Go Jackets!

If you think this team had the talent to win the ACC you are crazy. Our defensive tackles are the worst in the ACC..........resulting in GT being soft in the middle the previous staff did not sign one legitimate Division 1a, DT except Reggie Koon who has been a bust, the entire time they were at GT. I don't think Gailey has done a great job but some of you guys vastly over rate our talent

Give Fridge our talent and we would be at the top of the ACC.

We are not misjudging our talent. They are sufficiently strong.

You are just one of those who win we lose - you blame the players as being deficient. That's ridiculous. I guess Maryland had top drawer talent last year - that's why they couldn't pull off a winning season the last four years before Friedgen arrived.

You don't have to have the best talent to win big - just sufficient talent. But you do need great coaching.

We suffer from lack of the latter - not the former.

Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:
.... to Georgia Tech. They hire a pro coach (who just happens to be a Virginia alumni, key difference here) with the expectations of establishing a higher level of achievement on the gridiron. Groh burns with a passion and desire to see UVA a powerhouse. He goes out and recruits top talent and plays that talent. He sets a vision and directs his troops toward accomplishing that vision. The Cavaliers are on the way and will be Hell to play for us and everybody else going forward.

Gailey has no connection to Tech. He thinks this college stuff will be a snap compared to Pro ball. He expects to win but doesn't put in the preperation to do so. He misjudges our talent and waste a year where we had the potential to win the ACC. He inspires no one with his, "deer lost in the headlights look". He takes a program with so much potential and turns it south.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No offense, Jerry...but your post is absolute crap. First of all, where do you get this assumption that Gailey assumes it'll be easier? How do you know he didn't put in the preparation needed? You don't know that. You're just assuming things.

Also, after his first year, Groh's team went 5-7, UVA's first losing season in many, many years. Gailey, OTOH, kept Tech at the same level as what he inherited from that genius, GOL...7-5. How is that turning a program south?

Why do you think our talent was good enough to win the ACC? Jerry, we didn't have a defensive line. We didn't have one in 2001 either. Our only pass-rusher was basically out the entire season. Even when Gathers played, he was too sick to be effective. Our entire running back corps (not just TH) was decimated with injuries. We were breaking in a new QB...and a new defensive scheme.

BTW, our recruiting is going better than all the Stingtalk Beeware-ist recruiting gurus thought it would. Gailey can recruit, unlike what all you guys think.

You people that sit around in front of your computer screens and talk about how Chan's destroying our program make me sick. This guy has been on this campus for less than a full year. His first team, like many new coaches' first teams, was inconsistent. We won some games against teams that were better than us (including the game against your precious Al Groh) and we lost some we should have won. That happens when a team and a new staff are searching for that chemistry. But you guys want him fired. Nobody. I repeat...Nobody fires a head coach after only one year on the job.

Give Gailey the chance he deserves. Get off his G** D*** back.

As far as the posts here I agree more with Bugboy than I do with JtJ. Lets get off CG's back and let him coach and recruit. He is not a deer in the head lights a-la beeware. I've been down on CG myself but remember that by the so called "experts" we were expected to finish anywhere from 4th to 6th in the ACC and guess what guys we finished tied for 5th. So get real and analyze yourself not the coach.

Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">UVA has also given Groh the ability to go out and recruit the same players that the other major colleges do, they have lowered thier admission standards. We have obviously RAISED our standards despite our AD and president lying about it on the pregame show.

Groh has done a super good job with Virginia, but they did give him a losing yr to try to get things in place. Virginia is now getting players that everybody wants, including GT, & they are climbing back to be an even bigger force in college football than when Welsh coached them. The fan base at Virginia is growing leaps & bounds while being solidly behind Groh, staff & players.
The Cavaliers will push to win the ACC for the next 3-4 yrs, minimum. What a nice looking program they are trying to become & seem to be getting there. Tip-o-the-hat to HC Al Groh.

No doubt about it.. Groh is doing an excellent job at Snob U. The Cavs are definately on the way up..

In regards to Gailey... I think some of what JtheJ says is true.. I think he underestimated college football... I have no way to prove this.. its just my opinion... I think the transition has been tougher than he expected, and I think he underestimated the need to be a little more "hands on" with the players...

Given all of that.. I still think this staff did a much better job this year than the staff did last year, and I am not trying to bash GOL.. I would have been happy if he had stayed... but in 2001 we had the majority of our offensive playmakers coming back, were picked pre-season #9 by some.. we had continuity on the coaching staff (with the exception of Friedgen), but still finished 7-5.. and although the 31-17 score doesnt indicate it.. we were whipped just as badly last year by Georgia.. they kicked 5 field goals I think, and had a back get over 200 yards against us.. we were never in the game with FSU..

This year we lost some we shouldnt have .. were outcoached badly against WF and Clemson, and just simply manhandled by Georgia, again.

I think its apparent that we have problems on the D-Line.. need some depth on the O-Line.. need a clutch QB, and receivers that catch. We also need to change our strength and conditioning.. I hope Gailey is taking notes, but do think that he has got his wake up call in Athens.. I have a feeling we are going to see the team change somewhat over the next 9 months. I also think Gailey will get the job done.

Bugboy, I hope I am full of crap, but my opinion is based on what I have seen so far out of Gailey. If you think we were prepared to play Georgia and that we are headed in a positive direction, that is fine. I just don't see it that way.

I think we have talent sufficient to compete for the ACC championship. What we did not have was good coaching and good play from the QB position.

I don't look for things to change with Gailey. I am one of the most optimistic people around but I don't like what I see going on within our Football program.

Go Jackets!

All ACC opponents were beatable this year, probably for the first time since FSU joined. Our record should have been better, even with the injuries.
BOO

My, my, what a difference a few months make.

A little over sixteen months ago we were in the hunt for a national championship. Out chat boards were discussing when we would put in the subs.

Now, we lose a few games and look at our expectations. Hey, it's essentially the same group of guys playing for us. I know, you say Suggs instead of Godsey. Well, guess what - Suggs was far more highly recruited out of high school than Godsey was and was talented enough to win the starting qb job at Tennessee.

We were worried about the running back position at the beginning of the season and then we find that a 2nd string defensive back is the best running back in the country. So we had a few more injuries but our fifth best running back - Clinkscales - proved to be a bruiser. And some of you say we had no talent. I say we were LOADED.

I saw us play Florida State just like you. It didn't look like there was a big talent gap - if any. I don't think I need to remind you that FSU lost to Miami by a hair and manhandled Florida who beat Georgia. No, we didn't have a lack of talent to compete for the national championship sixteen months ago and we didn't have a lack of talent in the Fall of 2002. For those of you that blame it on our players - that's just the Georgia Tech pollyanna excuse that's been used for the last thirty years when we lose - you know - academic standards prevent us from recruiting the athletes we need, etc. Ralph Friedgen had to deal with those same constraints and when he was around we not only considered ourselves in the hunt for national championships - but we won one.

Sure, we might have some personnel weaknesses - but we also did in 1990, so does Ohio State now, and so did the Green Bay Packers under Vince Lomabardi. Good coaches work around it and come up winners.

So to those of you that want to insult our players by saying they are not good enough and who want to look hard for excuses - I salute you with a vertical smile. Winners don't need you around. Go find excuses someplace else.

As far as Gailey is concerned - if you read this Coach - I want you to know that I heard from one of your former coaching colleagues that you are an idiot and I concur. The evidence is irrefutable -you say you are going to deal with the press like Dodd but you end up acting more like O'Leary; even the most casual observer can see you need to play Bilbo more; you can't find the time to install an option play though every other college coach finds the time; though you were a college quarterback you let your starting quarterback throw like a girl; your game plans are boringly unimaginative; your team seems more interested in hanging out in the Beer Mug on Collier Road and MoonDogs on Peachtree St. rather than getting in the frame of mind to kick some ass - even 20 year olds have hangovers; your practices are pleasing as punch; and apparently you don't understand the obvious: when you aren't friendly with the press you are prone to being misquoted.

Coach, when you look at your teams, it is clear that they do not want it bad enough. The pack is going to travel only as fast as the lead dog and you ain't going too fast. I know you can find some Tech fans to find and articulate excuses for you, but the fact remains, if you were a winner -as we saw with Ralph Friedgen - no excuses would be needed.

So why don't you do all of us a favor - just leave and take all the excuse makers with you - and let the rest of us find somebody who's going to make some twenty somethings want to kick some ass and win football games.

And you know what the funny thing is, if you did ever figure it out you would just go to Florida, Notre Dame or someplace else - so just do us a favor and get going now.

JtJ,

There is no "hope" to it. You are full of crap. Will somebody PLEASE show me rankings where we had anywhere close to a top ten finish in recruiting under O'Gone? The talent has not been there the last couple of years. Friedgen and Friedgen alone is the reason we have not been worse.The really sad thing for you Beeware types is that Friedgen wasn't gone for a longer period of time before O'Gone left. Then you would get on your hands and knees and kiss the ground ANY new coach walked on.

goldbuzz you are full of crap and I don't need anybody to tell me you are an idiot....you do it yourself right here in living color on Stingtalk

Why don't you stop insulting the players? And only an idiot would post what you did.

I don't think that anyone disputes that our team's fortunes would be a lot different if Friedgen were our coach - with the same players.

So why do you keep disparaging our players. They don't deserve your denigration and they don't deserve the poor coaching they have received. We are doing a disservice to our players when we allow them to be exposed to mediocre coaching.

I think a lot starts at the administration level. Look at the spoort Groh gets from Casteen and look who did the new contract for Richt - Adams. I don't think there is the support to have a winning football program at Tech. I think Tech is more for all the boys and girls programs are equal and football just in not a priority. I certainly don't see any support. It is probably amazing the team does as well as it does.

Goldbuzz show where I have insulted any players. I said you are full of crap throwing out that crap that some unnamed source told you that Gailey was an idiot. I still think you are full of crap. Unfortunately, there are not too many Ralph Freigens out and Gailey is not going anywhere so quit your diatribes or find a new team to root for. (maybe Maryland since you seem to love Ralph so much)

You have repeatedly stated that our players were deficient in that they were not capable of winning the ACC Championship.

I said that they were and cited the FSU game as an example where you could directly compare our talent level with the ACC champion. We clearly compared favorably with FSU. We basically beat them - but the ref's robbed us.

When a 2nd string defensive back is the best running back in the country and our fifth string running back is stellar I say we are a long way from having a dearth of talent - just the opposite -we are loaded. We won the games we did because of talent - not because of coaching. We lost the games we did because of coaching - not because of talent.

You are going back to the age old knee jerk Georgia Tech excuse for losing because we don't have the talent - when we do.

Other conference teams are trending up - UVA, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Maryland - and we are trending down. We underachieved the last two years.

Ralph can beat ours with his and beat his with ours. You apparently missed the point with Friedgen, so here it is: if Friedgen can win the ACC with our players then we don't have the dearth of player talent you claim, but rather it is a dearth of coaching talent.

You claim our defensive tackles are lacking - defense wasn't our problem in 2002. Lack of offense lost the games we did.

And besides, I would like to see you tell our players face to face you don't think they are good enough.

As far as hiring Gailey is concerned - I know at least two of the selection committee members have confided that they made a mistake by hiring Gailey. I'm not naming names - but ask around - you'll see there are a lot second thoughts about Gailey.

Gold Buzz- He is here for the next five years so I guess you will be pissing and moaning for the next five years because negativity is your cup of tea. Again you site unnamed souces on the search comittee and I say you are full of crap. If they feel so strongly about it why don't they do something about it. Theyt want because nobody has said anything. BTW the UGAG score was 51-7 and the defense particularly the DT got manhandled. Additionally, IMO stating the thruth about the relative talent level at GT is not being deragotory to our players. However, making veil references to them be more interested in getting drunk than playing football is.

Back