Virginia provides a direct contrast . . .

Please carry it to e-mail guys. I can't believe two adults with Tech degrees can think of nothing better than opening a can of whoop-ass on each other. Or maybe we should get you two into the locker room for a pre-game speech to make sure the players don't come out uninspired and lifeless
smile.gif
. Anyone out there with two tickets, side-by-side preferred, to carry 83j and goldbuzz out to San Jose or wherever it is we're playing football in a couple of days.

With reference to the above poster that said CG underestimated college job, he is correct, folks. I heard him say on radio interview maybe 2 wks. or so ago. He did say that a lot more was required of him to do than he expected. That it has been awhile. So, the poster is correct on that point.
wink.gif

Guys,
I REALLY don't like some things from the Fball program from this year either, but "yall" have gotten beyond snippy.Just because someone disagrees with you it doesn't necessarily make them an idiot/moron.
Why, just last year I thought even I was wrong about something - then found out I was wrong about that.
Time will tell.

83, thanks for the link. To me, that's a more reasonable explanation for Bilbo than simply not knowing the playbook, which has been what Gailey's been telling the press.

As I've maintained all along, I haven't been happy with the job that Gailey has done this season, but he's got a chance to turn it around. I haven't called for his head, but I would like to see him instill some confidence in the program and thus far, he hasn't done that yet. I think goldbuzz explained the matter with Jimmy Robinson well enough in my opinion. Just because a guy has never been a head coach before, regardless of his tenure as an assistant, doesn't mean he can't do well as a head coach when given the opportunity. Either way, I wouldn't just plainly disregard him as an alternative to Gailey, especially when he was one of the stronger candidates for the job last winter.

All that matters now is that Gailey's got to turn things around next season and get more out of the team than he did this season.

At the risk of pouring more fuel on this fire...here are my thoughts.

1) We had sufficient talent to win every game this year IMO. But we are not "loaded". Miami is loaded, Ugag (as much as I hate to admit it) is loaded. We have good D-1 talent albeit we are not strong at some positions.

2) We did not get the kind of QB play we needed this year to have a special year. IMO the QB play wasn't terrible, it just wasn't superior. And, as we have proven here in the past, superior QB play is what is needed for Tech to succeed.

3) I have some issues with what I saw from our staff, but expect improvement next year.

4) To quote some unnamed, imagined? source about the intelligence of our HC is questionable at best. To me, your inability or unwillingness to give a name leaves me no alternative but to totally ignore it. Especially given the many quotes about Gailey made in very public settings which refutes what you said.

5) Comparing Gailey to Groh may be very valid. Groh had a losing record his first year, and started this one poorly. To his credit he turned it around. We'll see what Gailey does.

6) I have no problem with Jimmy Robinson as a HC. I have to admit it's interesting that he has evidently never been anything but a WR coach, which would seem to argue he doesn't have what it takes to have more responsibility, but I bow to others who are more experienced than me. The main point however is that he isn't our HC.

7) So far, I see no real difference in our recruiting this year and in O'Leary's tenure, with the exception of going after Texas kids instead of NE.

8) FWIW, I don't think questioning how strong we are at a particular position is insulting our players. Are we supposed to accept as gospel that we have the best players in the country at every position? Sorry, it ain't true. Likewise we don't have the best staff in the country IMO. But, neither is bad IMO.

9) Finally, it's hilarious how many on these boards make definitive statements with absolutely no real knowledge of what they speak. I really don't care who played what position in HS or who knows who, who knows somebody else. "The evidence in irrefutable" that Gailey is an idiot? To steal from "The Princess Bride" I don't think that word means what you think it means. Irrefutable? The only thing irrefutable is that you could take the football knowledge of everyone on this board and we might equal one D-1 position coach, much less a HC. (those who have/are coaches are the exceptions and I apologize to them).

What, you mean there's people who don't know what they're talking about?

Inconceivable!

My name is Inigo Montoya...

Originally posted by goldbuzz:
No dogface, unlike Beware, I want Gailey to take O'Brien (sp?) with him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Goldbuzz, are you a Tech graduate? I'd guess not or not yet.

Originally posted by ncjacket:

4) To quote some unnamed, imagined? source about the intelligence of our HC is questionable at best. To me, your inability or unwillingness to give a name leaves me no alternative but to totally ignore it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He is obviously quoting Beeware...

this has to be the most pathetic thread on this board that i have come across ..

classless

Originally posted by goldbuzz:
83Jacket - Since you want to call me, without provocation, a "sucker" and an "idiot" and further state, "you are full of crap" and then invite a personal meeting; I will be at the BarBell Club on the Georgia Tech campus tomorrow morning at 6:00 am. Be there and say those things to my face.

Toward the end of this season I began hearing the same things from the players that I heard at the end of Bill Lewis's first year. The players' respect for Gailey is very low. The seniors basically have no respect for the guy.

They talk behind his back about the dumb things he does.

It is clear to me and many others that he is not the brightest bulb on the tree.

The players really want a hard nose coach with tough discipline - something that Bill Lewis wasn't and something that Chan Gailey is not.

Brothers and sisters we've got a real problem on our hands. This guy is not going to be able to win in the ACC and is not going to be able to beat Georgia - much less take us to the Promised Land.

Of course it is impractical to fire the guy after one year but he needs to know in no uncertain terms - which I have - that we are not going to tolerate a nonchalant attitude among the players and coaches, and in the off-season he needs to correct the deficiencies in his program.

Bobby Ross had no hobbies and could be found at 8:00 am on Saturdays during the off-season watching film. He and Friedgen, and O'Leary for that matter, stayed on the players constantly.

Gailey's approach is not working and won't work. Every Division 1 school has a talented coach who is working his gonads off to win football games. And the other teams in the ACC seem to be getting better. UGA's players are up at 4:00 am in the morning puking their guts out while ours are hanging out at the Beer Mug. Competition is fierce and Gailey needs to get his ass in gear to keep up and double-time it to get ahead of the competition.

We need to let him no that we are going to hold him accountable. Mediocrity is not an option.

And that's where I am afraid we are headed. If we win only three to five games next year - it's not going to get better after that. And we could have very easily won only 4 or 5 games this year.

This is serious and Gailey and Co. need to be told to get their frigging asses in gear.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good luck Gold Buzz! A helluva lot of cold ice truth in your post and I guess someone wants it knocked in to him!

goldbuzz, the problem here is that what you say is in direct conflict with what several other posters, who claim to be friends with current players say. You started this thread by talking about a former collegue of Gailey's, now you are talking about our seniors and other players. You seem to have a new source/quote whenever you need one to support your theories. If what you say is true then I would agree with much of what you are saying. However, I doubt you because I haven't heard any credible corroboration (how do you spell that word anyway?). I've posted numerous times that IMO the widespread player dissatisfaction you describe can't be covered up. If it were true, we would know because it would be all over campus. If you are proven right in the future I will apologize and give you full credit. Until I see some evidence however, I choose to believe you are merely stirring things up because you have given up on Gailey.

Originally posted by ncjacket:

"I've posted numerous times that IMO the widespread player dissatisfaction you describe can't be covered up. If it were true, we would know because it would be all over campus."

It is not contrived. The former coaching colleague did not actually say, "Gailey is an idiot", but more like, to my recollection, "he's not too smart".

As to the players, they are not openly grumbling and aren't going to confide in just anybody. Some have a "wait and see" attitude, but many have expressed dismay. Granted, older players usually harbor a bit of resentment at a coaching change. Even Ross experienced some. However, there does seem a general questioning of Gailey's capabilities and a lack of confidence and respect for Gailey's coaching and leadership.

Some of the players like the easier practices but at the end of the day they wonder if it is the best approach.

What I heard during the Lewis tenure is that some of the players tired of his "humanistic" approach - they just wanted to play smash mouth football. Most of the twenty year old's or so just want to play football, hit somebody, and not think about it. But when the practices are lax - they wonder.

Friedgen would stop someone immediately when he saw a mistake being made and let them know it. Gailey's staff seems to let the error go - I guess thinking they well address it later - and it seems sometimes it never gets addressed or at least addressed insufficiently.

Take Suggs for example - I know most of you think he is incapable - but he is absolutely a talent. But Gailey and Co. let him stand out there and throw like a girl without immediately stopping him and saying, "your form is off". They are just not addressing the details. And that just starts a slow slide.

With a good recruiting class, Gailey can pull it out. He just has to refocus, reengineer, and adopt a new approach.

Geese, you guys! My new computer went south, I had to be off the board for awhile, and you let this place go to hades. It sounds like a bunch of beserk kids calling each other names.

How is the recruiting? I have started from the bottom of the page, maybe there will be some recruiting info toward the top.

pat.gif

sorry goldbuzz, but without knowing more about who you are there is still no reason to buy into what you're selling. I contend that with 100 or so 18-22 year olds involved nothing stays secret too long. Your comments don't say anything specific, just generalizations which could be said about any team in the country. Sorry if this offends, but that's how I feel.

Don't take this as a blanket endorsement of everything the staff has done this year. We should have had a better record IMO (although not too much better, 1-2 more wins) but I don't think the year was a disaster (except for the Ugag game). Your comments about AJ are interesting, but I have enough friends in Knoxville that I was worried we would get what we got this year. Hope he proves me wrong, or that Bilbo gets his shot next year. --I do believe the staff that he wasn't ready this year, FWIW.

83Jacket - Since you want to call me, without provocation, a "sucker" and an "idiot" and further state, "you are full of crap" and then invite a personal meeting; I will be at the BarBell Club on the Georgia Tech campus tomorrow morning at 6:00 am. Be there and say those things to my face.

Toward the end of this season I began hearing the same things from the players that I heard at the end of Bill Lewis's first year. The players' respect for Gailey is very low. The seniors basically have no respect for the guy.

They talk behind his back about the dumb things he does.

It is clear to me and many others that he is not the brightest bulb on the tree.

The players really want a hard nose coach with tough discipline - something that Bill Lewis wasn't and something that Chan Gailey is not.

Brothers and sisters we've got a real problem on our hands. This guy is not going to be able to win in the ACC and is not going to be able to beat Georgia - much less take us to the Promised Land.

Of course it is impractical to fire the guy after one year but he needs to know in no uncertain terms - which I have - that we are not going to tolerate a nonchalant attitude among the players and coaches, and in the off-season he needs to correct the deficiencies in his program.

Bobby Ross had no hobbies and could be found at 8:00 am on Saturdays during the off-season watching film. He and Friedgen, and O'Leary for that matter, stayed on the players constantly.

Gailey's approach is not working and won't work. Every Division 1 school has a talented coach who is working his gonads off to win football games. And the other teams in the ACC seem to be getting better. UGA's players are up at 4:00 am in the morning puking their guts out while ours are hanging out at the Beer Mug. Competition is fierce and Gailey needs to get his ass in gear to keep up and double-time it to get ahead of the competition.

We need to let him no that we are going to hold him accountable. Mediocrity is not an option.

And that's where I am afraid we are headed. If we win only three to five games next year - it's not going to get better after that. And we could have very easily won only 4 or 5 games this year.

This is serious and Gailey and Co. need to be told to get their frigging asses in gear.

NCJacket - It's no secret.

Where are you? Greensboro, North Carolina?

Well, I was on the Tech campus this morning - I will be there later today and will be there tomorrow.

As I sit, I am less than a wedge shot from the grounds of Georgia Tech.

So, I am glad that you know so much from Greensboro, North Carolina.

Back