Wes Durham on 790 this morning...

1) b%tch&ng and moaning about referees always seems to occur more on the losing team's board than on the winning team's board.
That's especially funny when all the talk on the VT board is about how they should have lost and we got jobbed by the refs.

You're way too intelligent to actually believe any this.
Go back and watch GT vs Duke basketball in the ACCCG and tell me I'm dumb.

THEY CALLED A FOUL ON JARRET JACK'S BALLS FOR BEING PUNCHED BY JJ REDDICK.

And whatever. Last time I saw a call that bad I pegged the freakin ref with a Dasani bottle. Tell me I'm too intelligent. I laugh at your assumptions of my intelligence. I check my intelligence at the door when school loyalty becomes more important.

If WES FREAKING DURHAM is outraged, and PAUL FREAKING JOHNSON is outraged, then BEEJ FREAKING SIXTY SEVEN has the EFFING RIGHT to be OUTRAGED.

Are you guys going against our COACH and the VOICE OF OUR PROGRAM now?

What I don't get is everyone in here sticking up for the bad call.

Hell, the "VOICE OF THE YELLOW JACKETS", Wes Durham, was mad about it.

Our head coach, Paul Johnson, was mad too.

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!?!

I don't think anyone is sticking up for a bad call. Personally, I thought it was the right call of a stupid rule and that regardless we need to tell our players not to hit QBs like that when they are near the sideline. However, it does get on my nerves when people start with the ludicrous theory that there is a conspiracy against Tech when the logic and numbers simply don't agree with them, and I can tell it annoys a couple other people here too.

EDIT: Beej, I don't hear Paul or Wes saying anything about a conspiracy against Tech.

We should teach our quarterbacks to duck their head into the defenders helmet when they are being tackled. If done properly we should get a helmet-to-helmet call in our favor 3-4 times per game. :fingersx:

If you can't change the rule...use it. It's good for 15 yards.

And whatever. Last time I saw a call that bad I pegged the freakin ref with a Dasani bottle. Tell me I'm too intelligent. I laugh at your assumptions of my intelligence. I check my intelligence at the door when school loyalty becomes more important.

If WES FREAKING DURHAM is outraged, and PAUL FREAKING JOHNSON is outraged, then BEEJ FREAKING SIXTY SEVEN has the EFFING RIGHT to be OUTRAGED.

That first part is funny...now for the second part...again, why no outrage towards 3 fumbles, poor blocking, an overthrown ball to a wide open man for what might have been the winning score? Why does EVERYONE get a free pass except the referees. I know we all wished we had won at VT but to pin it on the refs is sour grapes IMHO.

We should teach our quarterbacks to duck their head into the defenders helmet when they are being tackled. If done properly we should get a helmet-to-helmet call in our favor 3-4 times per game. :fingersx:

If done properly it will probably break our quarterback's neck after a couple tries.

EDIT: Beej, I don't hear Paul or Wes saying anything about a conspiracy against Tech.
I don't hear them defending the refs either. What I hear from them is OUTRAGE.

YES.

again, why no outrage towards 3 fumbles, poor blocking, an overthrown ball to a wide open man for what might have been the winning score?
Huh?

I'm plenty outraged at that. My first like 7 some odd posts today were about how we lost the game from 3 fumbles, not from a stupid call. I excuse you for not realizing that because you probably haven't canvassed the last 24 hours of posts as well as I have. No fault of your own, it means you have more of a life than I do.

Yes, the 3 fumbles were way way more important than a bad call. Obviously. We can only control the fumbles, and the fumbles are more important to control anyway. Nesbitt has a long way to go, I hope he gets there, and I'm pulling for him to do so.

BUT THE CALL WASN'T OUR FAULT. IT WAS ASSHOLES JOBBING US. What do you want me to do? PULL FOR THE REFS to get BETTER? Holy crap!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a lot less outraged at our own team screwing us than someone FAILING AT THEIR JOB and screwing us, or more to the point, FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS to screw us. For christ's sake, even if it's not a conspiracy, it's ****ing annoying to have to deal with EVERY YEAR in BOTH sports.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a lot less outraged at our own team screwing us than someone FAILING AT THEIR JOB and screwing us, or more to the point, FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS to screw us. For christ's sake, even if it's not a conspiracy, it's ****ing annoying to have to deal with EVERY YEAR in BOTH sports.

What the hell? What is a single shred of evidence to support "FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS to screw us"???? And in "BOTH sports"? We were right near the ACC average in penalties called against us over the past four years in conference, and NEAR THE TOP of the league in penalties called against our opponents. What is the explanation for that?

So to recap, logic does not support what you are so outraged about, the numbers actually say the opposite of what you are so outraged about, and there is no hint of any real evidence to support what you are so outraged about. Be pissed off about the call if you want, that is absolutely fine and understandable. But you are spouting this nonsense and it is embarrassing to have to hear a Tech fan talk like that. We are supposed to be the smart ones.

Last edited:
Man, I am enjoying this thread.

I think that the helmet-to-helmet PF was a crappy interpretation of a stupid rule. I don't think it should have been called given the current game situation, and my VT buddies at work more or less agreed with me. They all told me "thanks for giving us the game" and wtte this morning. That said, I can see the an official's perspective that says helmet-to-helmet is helmet-to-helmet, and there's no judgment of intent.

I don't know anything about any conspiracy or our average number of penalties (other than the data presented in this thread), but I know that we seem to get some crappy calls made against us. They're most notably against our biggest rival and made by ACC refs. It seems like we would get the benefit of the doubt with ACC refs if we were ever going to, but I don't think that's the case. And I tend to think that I'm pretty fair when it comes to judging my team. Maybe we get crappy officiating, maybe it's just me being biased and more emotional about my team.

Either way, we have to execute better. I'm ready for the Jackets to regroup and beat MSU this weekend.

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is to silence the cowbells.

Wes said that he could not comment during the game or post game but he could today.

He said that the ACC refs are an embarrassment to the conference, and the nation knows it.

He said the difference between SEC and ACC refs was absurd, or WTTE, and the difference was not a positive for the ACC.

He said this needs to be fixed NOW, not at some Fla. resort in the off season.

Swofford is a wuss, a slave to crychefski, and can't fix it. It is up to the schools outside NC.

I was merely joking about the conspiracy against GT...however, I honestly believe we've had more bad calls against us than the majority of the other ACC teams...easily.

It's almost funny. Almost.

I was merely joking about the conspiracy against GT...however, I honestly believe we've had more bad calls against us than the majority of the other ACC teams...easily.

It's almost funny. Almost.

Confirmation bias, etc.,

Every fan thinks the officials are out to get their team. And then a questionable call is made against their team and all of a sudden it's HANDWAVING FREAKOUTERY (to borrow beej's term), confirming the suspicious they've had all along.

wesley my son, the ACC refs make bad calls every game against pretty much every team. That's what Wes is talking about. We're not special even though we do feel put upon. But I guarantee you these threads are on every board after every game.

wesley my son, the ACC refs make bad calls every game against pretty much every team. That's what Wes is talking about. We're not special even though we do feel put upon. But I guarantee you these threads are on every board after every game.

Indeed.

The problem is the lack of an obvious solution. Even if the ACC or NCAA got full-time officials, how much would they be paid to work once-a-week? Where would more competent replacements come from?

While the whole process could probably be more transparent (as far as I can tell the way you become a major conference official is to know someone at the conference office, seeing as how a lot of these guys have high-paying white-collar jobs during the week), and it should be, the replacements have to come from somewhere and I'm not sure that's any guarantee of quality.

Guys, getting the shaft is in our history.

Considering the fact we're THE ONLY ACC TEAM to ever get shafted out of a damn national championship because of a bad call. And, of course, I realize those weren't "our" refs but like I said....it "SEEMS" like we've gotten more crap calls than anyone else.

Hell, I think I'm probably right.

Even the LSU board of old knows so:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=9209174

I know! Let's get Ed Hochuli to be an ACC ref! Oh, wait, he admitted he completely blew a call that gave Denver the game.

How about we get the Pac-10 refs? Oh, wait, they blew that call 2 years ago in the Oklahoma game -- and blew that call this year in the BYU Washington game.

As a person who did my fellowship at Missouri, wesley's link to the LSU page is pretty funny. 2 of the top 5 plays listed there are plays that screwed Missouri out of games. So maybe the refs are out to get ME -- as my 2 schools are the ones the refs seem to screw over.

(Entire post TIC -- been a long night, and not looking any better right about now.)

Back