Wes Durham on 790 this morning...

It's going to take some time but CPJ is not going to put up with this officiating. The office is going to get tired of him calling out the officials and THEY will have to do something about it because it's on the film and films don't lie. Give CPJ some time and you will start to see calls going our way.

glad to hear this. CPJ better be making some noise.

I hope that now that we've essentially lost two huge games by doing the exact same thing, we won't do it again, regardless of whether the call was wrong or not.

We lost this one for what? Playing hard, hitting hard, until the whistle blows??!! Yeah let's quit doing that and we'll win 'em all! I totally agree with you on your point, that we don't need to put ourselves in the situation to have a personal foul called, but it's real-time decisions that are made on the field... what if TT slips away from Burnett (or whoever had him around the waist), and Cooper Taylor had let up? On 3rd and long, tie game, with the first down sticks in sight, do you honestly think TT would have casually trotted OB??

You can't grasp, twist, pull or turn. If you simply grab it and let go immediately it's not supposed to be called. If you hold on or impede the player at all it's a penalty. Seemed like he tugged the guys' head around before he let go. That's a penalty as I've seen the rule explained.

LMAO @ these stats!! I swear there is some sort of F-ed up conspiracy against GT football:

PENALTIES G No. Yards Avg/G
1. Boston College 2 2 16 8.0
2. Virginia Tech 3 13 75 25.0
3. Duke 3 11 91 30.3
4. Maryland 3 12 107 35.7
5. Miami 2 10 74 37.0
6. North Carolina 2 8 75 37.5
7. NC State 3 18 133 44.3
8. Wake Forest 2 9 100 50.0
9. Florida State 2 13 103 51.5
10. Clemson 3 19 173 57.7
11. Virginia 3 17 175 58.3
12. Georgia Tech 3 18 176 58.7

OPPONENT PENALTIES G No. Yards Avg/G
1. Wake Forest 2 14 127 63.5
2. Virginia Tech 3 19 153 51.0
3. North Carolina 2 13 99 49.5
4. NC State 3 17 148 49.3
5. Maryland 3 18 147 49.0
6. Florida State 2 12 92 46.0
7. Virginia 3 16 130 43.3
8. Clemson 3 19 125 41.7
9. Boston College 2 8 75 37.5
10. Duke 3 11 108 36.0
11. Miami 2 9 52 26.0
12. Georgia Tech 3 9 71 23.7

We lost this one for what? Playing hard, hitting hard, until the whistle blows??!! Yeah let's quit doing that and we'll win 'em all! I totally agree with you on your point, that we don't need to put ourselves in the situation to have a personal foul called, but it's real-time decisions that are made on the field... what if TT slips away from Burnett (or whoever had him around the waist), and Cooper Taylor had let up? On 3rd and long, tie game, with the first down sticks in sight, do you honestly think TT would have casually trotted OB??

No, you're right, we should just keep using the same technique and hope that history doesn't repeat itself yet again. After all, it's just a game, dawg.

Trust me, it's possible to tackle a QB near the sidelines without hitting his helmet. Yes, you might have to be conscious of it and alter the way you tackle a bit, but if the choice came down to that or losing more games because of it, which would you choose?

It's like Shaq saying "I've played the same for 15 years, I'm not going to change the way I play just cause the refs call it differently now." Well, he kept playing the same way, and he kept picking up fouls, and he kept losing. Stubbornness is foolishness, even if you don't think what's going on is fair.

No, you're right, we should just keep using the same technique and hope that history doesn't repeat itself yet again. After all, it's just a game, dawg.

Trust me, it's possible to tackle a QB near the sidelines without hitting his helmet. Yes, you might have to be conscious of it and alter the way you tackle a bit, but if the choice came down to that or losing more games because of it, which would you choose?

It's like Shaq saying "I've played the same for 15 years, I'm not going to change the way I play just cause the refs call it differently now." Well, he kept playing the same way, and he kept picking up fouls, and he kept losing. Stubbornness is foolishness, even if you don't think what's going on is fair.

Yeah, GREAT example.

That loser, Shaquille O'Neal, only has 4 NBA Championship rings. What an idiot!!!

Last edited:
Really to be a ref of anything above high school you have to either be a masochist or a contrarian bastard. I don't trust anyone who would choose that profession.

As long as people ref games people are going to make judgment errors and even flat out incorrect decisions. That's called life. Its best to just get over it, accept it and learn to live with it.

I'm still trying to get over having to share the 1990 national championship because of bonehead officiating.

Swofford will not do anything about it, because in all likelihood it was HIS SUGGESTION to the refs. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

We need an entire wing of our LCC department devoted to Replay Technology, and we need to rape Swofford on his BS. This goes beyond football. It happens to Tech in every sport.

Do the names of the officials ever get published? I mean, everyone can look at a program and see who the players are, who the coaches are etc. It seems that officials are becoming an ever increasing part of the contest. The ACC should have a call in show for Refs. like coaches have, so they can get ripped and try to explain some of their boneheaded calls.

Yeah, GREAT example.

That loser, Shaquille O'Neal, only has like 3 NBA Championship rings. What an idiot!!!

How does that affect anything? He is nowhere near the player he was several years ago, and while a lot of that is due to aging and injuries, that's not all it is. He has refused to change the way he plays, and thanks to the ever-quicker NBA whistles, he is getting called for fouls early and often, which limits both his effectiveness on the court and his ability to remain on the court for reasonable stretches of time. Maybe he doesn't like the way the game is called nowadays(a lot of people don't), but continuing to play by the old rules isn't helping anybody...it is just causing him to be less effective.

Swofford will not do anything about it, because in all likelihood it was HIS SUGGESTION to the refs. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

We need an entire wing of our LCC department devoted to Replay Technology, and we need to rape Swofford on his BS. This goes beyond football. It happens to Tech in every sport.
This is not an ACC rule.

wesley, the conspiracy so far is that we're not very disciplined. Guys may be thinking too much but we're doing a lot of dumb things and are hurting ourselves. Once we get our heads straight we could be pretty dangerous.

This is not an ACC rule.
To screw Tech at every opportunity?

Actually, yes, I do believe it is an ACC rule.

Do you happen to remember the last time Tech was in the finals of the ACC basketball tournament, when JJ Reddik punched Jarret Jack in the balls, and the refs called a foul on Jarret's balls?

Do you happen to remember people throwing their popcorn and drinks at Swofford as he sat in the Duke spectator's section? Not even Tech fans - other random fans from other schools who were so sick of it they decided to stick up for us.

It is and always has been about screwing Tech. I can find absolutely no evidence to the contrary.

wesley, the conspiracy so far is that we're not very disciplined.

How does that make it so that our opponents get called for the least penalties?

cmon beej, simple, because we are not disciplining them enough for their mistakes

if only we played better, the refs would clearly penalize the other team more

Because penalties tend to be the result of one team outplaying the other? Pass interference tends to occur when the receiver beats the defense, holding occurs when someone is going to get past an offensive lineman, etc. Not to mention that pass interference, probably one of the most called penalties, occur mainly during pass plays, of which we have very few.

And if you're using examples of bad college basketball calls to reveal a conspiracy, there's a conspiracy against a lot of schools besides up. Do you really believe that people were throwing stuff at Swofford to stick up for us, rather than because they hate Duke and don't like to see them get calls? Which is more likely?

Do you honestly believe there is a conspiracy in the ACC to screw Tech? What does the ACC stand to gain from that? It stands to lose everything...if that was ever uncovered, the ACC would be done as a conference. It gains absolutely nothing from doing it though. Saying that better teams get more favorable calls would at least be a more plausible argument, but to think that refs are specifically screwing Tech just to...well, I'm not sure what the reason would be...is delusional. We are not that important.

Back